Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 03:24:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  
Author Topic: GreenGold - a modest proposal for miners with guaranteed returns!  (Read 3314 times)
JeffK (OP)

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

I never hashed for this...

View Profile
August 12, 2011, 09:41:38 PM

I am proposing a new system that I am calling GreenGold - it is a simple system with guaranteed returns, and it works like this:

Step 1: Go into the room where your mining rigs are and shut them and any associated HVAC systems off.
Step 2: Go outside and play
Step 3: At the end of the month, compare your power bills. The difference between the amounts are your 'GreenGold earnings'.
Step 4: Use the money earned to buy real gold coins, which have a higher stability than Bitcoins!

Pros:
-Increased physical activity and sun exposure will make you more attractive!
-Discussing how you sliced your energy consumption to 25-50% is more interesting to strangers than sperging out about cryptocurrencies.

Cons:
-You can't play "pretend IT professional"
-You can't buy drugs semi-anonymously over the internet for way over street value
-Girls who previously thought you odd and repulsive may give you extra attention, decreasing the time you have to watch your favorite animes

any comments/improvements welcome!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
enmaku

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 12, 2011, 09:44:23 PM

I somehow doubt that the kind of comments you're going to get on that post will be "welcome"  Wink
Oldminer
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 12, 2011, 09:46:10 PM

Yea isnt this like trying to start a 'fitness' thread on a 'croche' forum?

If you like my post please feel free to give me some positive rep https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=trust;u=18639
Tip me BTC: 1FBmoYijXVizfYk25CpiN8Eds9J6YiRDaX
nelisky
Legendary

Activity: 1540

View Profile
August 12, 2011, 09:46:16 PM

Yeah, right. Then YOU get to mine all by yourself Smiley

You know where you can stick the GreenGold, don't you? hehe
Nesetalis

Activity: 420

View Profile
August 12, 2011, 09:50:22 PM

With the title of "modest proposal" I was expecting suggestions of eating each other... but in either case. I have an alternative.

1) Setup a bitcoin miner using solar power.
2) Go outside.
3) Start a garden.
4) Use solar panels to shade your low light plants.
5) Huh?
6) Profit.

ZOMG Moo!
JeffK (OP)

View Profile
August 12, 2011, 09:56:25 PM

At least my project idea has guaranteed returns on money and substantially better odds for getting users laid.

If, however, you can devise for us a system which promises me gold, companionship of women, AND a puppy, I will gladly hear you out.
Anonymous

August 12, 2011, 09:59:26 PM

On the one hand, this is such an obvious troll. On the other hand, it technically would have better returns than bitcoin mining. I'm amazed that people still mine as much as they do, the real money is in transactions that involve bitcoins, miners are out thousands on mining rigs and I can't imagine how much electricity for what are essentially very small returns.
nmat

Activity: 602
Merit: 501

View Profile
August 12, 2011, 09:59:54 PM

Well, can't I just buy girls with bitcoins?
JeffK (OP)

View Profile
August 12, 2011, 10:00:49 PM

On the one hand, this is such an obvious troll. On the other hand, it technically would have better returns than bitcoin mining. I'm amazed that people still mine as much as they do, the real money is in transactions that involve bitcoins, miners are out thousands on mining rigs and I can't imagine how much electricity for what are essentially very small returns.

I am not trolling, Vitamin D deficiency is bad for your health
Anonymous

August 12, 2011, 10:03:00 PM

Of course you're trolling. That doesn't mean you're wrong.

But being right and trolling at the same time is a great skill, we can't all be 1337 like you. Wink
the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
August 12, 2011, 10:06:53 PM

I am proposing a new system that I am calling GreenGold - it is a simple system with guaranteed returns, and it works like this:

Step 1: Go into the room where your mining rigs are and shut them and any associated HVAC systems off.
Step 2: Go outside and play
Step 3: At the end of the month, compare your power bills. The difference between the amounts are your 'GreenGold earnings'.
Step 4: Use the money earned to buy real gold coins, which have a higher stability than Bitcoins!

Pros:
-Increased physical activity and sun exposure will make you more attractive!
-Discussing how you sliced your energy consumption to 25-50% is more interesting to strangers than sperging out about cryptocurrencies.

Cons:
-You can't play "pretend IT professional"
-You can't buy drugs semi-anonymously over the internet for way over street value
-Girls who previously thought you odd and repulsive may give you extra attention, decreasing the time you have to watch your favorite animes

Your argument is fallacious because comparing the difference between electric bills doesn't account for the value of Bitcoins generated during that time.   If the value of Bitcoins generated during that time is > than 'greengold' earnings, then you're sacrificing profit.  Not only that, but I don't see how you 'earn' anything by not spending money on electricity.  That's like saying I 'earned" $5 today cause I haven't bought my pack of cigs yet.

Edit:  Smoking and mining are equally addicting.
Edit 2:  Value of Bitcoins generated will always be > 'greengold' earnings unless you're a moron.
nelisky
Legendary

Activity: 1540

View Profile
August 12, 2011, 10:09:33 PM

At least my project idea has guaranteed returns on money and substantially better odds for getting users laid.

If, however, you can devise for us a system which promises me gold, companionship of women, AND a puppy, I will gladly hear you out.

Sure; mine a lot, but be a real IT guy that doesn't need to babysit the machines (or be a real businessman that gets others to do that for you). With the profit, buy gold, women and puppies!

I mine, and I must say I get more sunlight now than before, as I feel an urge to run out of the house every time someone passes my front door, you know, to brag tell them about bitcoins Smiley
Nesetalis

Activity: 420

View Profile
August 12, 2011, 10:10:06 PM

not to mention, mining bitcoins doesn't require you being at your computer. There is nothing keeping me from going outside anyway... SO in that case, I can make profit AND go outside :p

ZOMG Moo!
the joint
Legendary

View Profile
August 12, 2011, 10:12:10 PM

I actually had a lady friend over the other day who was quite interested in seeing my Bitcoin setup, and an ex-girlfriend wanted me to take her out to dinner with my Bitcoin profits.

2 weeks of Bitcoin trading (on average) will buy me a puppy.  Money will get you laid.  1 Bitcoin can buy many condoms.  I also mine for g-spots, and I guarantee I'm in way better shape than you.
Anonymous

August 12, 2011, 10:14:03 PM

I understand that good miners don't lose money to electricity, but how thin are the margins, and how does it stand up when you compare it to hardware costs?

Serious question here, I'm a vendor, not a miner.

(Also, all the miners in this thread should check out BitGems in the Goods forum if they want to see the kind of mining I DO know about Smiley )
geek-trader

Activity: 294

View Profile
August 12, 2011, 10:14:18 PM

not to mention, mining bitcoins doesn't require you being at your computer. There is nothing keeping me from going outside anyway... SO in that case, I can make profit AND go outside :p

Exactly.  If something does go wrong, I get a SMS.

So, I get to mine AND go outside with my wife and dog.  I'm living the good life, I tell ya.  Grin

Make 1 deposit and earn BTC for life! http://bitcoinpyramid.com/r/345
Play my FREE HTML5 games at: http://magigames.org  BTC donations accepted.
the joint
Legendary

View Profile
August 12, 2011, 10:21:12 PM

I understand that good miners don't lose money to electricity, but how thin are the margins, and how does it stand up when you compare it to hardware costs?

Serious question here, I'm a vendor, not a miner.

(Also, all the miners in this thread should check out BitGems in the Goods forum if they want to see the kind of mining I DO know about Smiley )

I have free electricity  Grin
Anonymous

August 12, 2011, 10:24:59 PM

How does that work?
the joint
Legendary

View Profile
August 12, 2011, 10:27:00 PM

How does that work?

I rent out a room in a house (3-4 other people do the same....I say 3-4 cause one just moved out and one will be moving in).  Landlord pays all utilities.   My assumption is the house is already paid off and he's totally banking on renting out the place, so the utility factor doesn't matter.

Anonymous

August 12, 2011, 10:50:17 PM

That's a brilliant setup for you! I have to admit I'm jealous.
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  

Jump to: