Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 10:16:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: BE Blade (v2) with software overclocking option?!  (Read 1270 times)
Roobotics (OP)

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 06:54:50 PM

I've had these blades for a bit but recently realized that even on the Blue Rev2 boards that have both oscillators populated this option isn't even present in their web interface!

Only one blade in my cluster has this, so it seems rather unique..

Check it out on the far right buttons near the bottom: https://i.imgur.com/XjSMlW8.png And no I don't care if you see my Slush's account info, mine some for me if you'd like. Cheesy

And again these are all Rev2 boards, running flawlessly so far.

Did they flash a Rev1 firmware? Is this an unlockable option they did by mistake?

I know if I click it the blade will just stall if it even works since it's a green rev and has no 2nd oscillator populated, also the voltages will need changing via replacement resistors. I have a pickit2 and will check and see if the F/W is read protected if there is enough interest in something like this. It shouldn't be like this, so who knows, maybe they forgot the protection also.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
sidehack
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1848

Curmudgeonly hardware guy

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 07:56:53 PM

If you are able to pull the firmware, I would like to get a copy. I have a blade here with a fried PIC that I'd like to replace and get it running, and any firmware that works would be nice. I haven't been able to read code on any that I've checked so far.

Pretty gosh darn cool to have a clock-switchable Blade too. That's weird.

Cool, quiet and up to 1TH pod miner, on sale now!
Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
Roobotics (OP)

View Profile
December 14, 2013, 06:14:38 AM
Last edit: December 14, 2013, 06:24:48 AM by Roobotics

If you are able to pull the firmware, I would like to get a copy. I have a blade here with a fried PIC that I'd like to replace and get it running, and any firmware that works would be nice. I haven't been able to read code on any that I've checked so far.

Pretty gosh darn cool to have a clock-switchable Blade too. That's weird.

Oh hey I recognize that handle, you overclock blades and stuff. I guess I shouldn't be surprised you found this.

I powered my cluster down then proceeded to freaked myself out when the blade simply reset on each read try and failed, I didn't realize there was a "18F_J_" option at first.

Unfortunately this looks like a no-go as all of my blades including the 'unique' one are indeed code protected. Bummer..

If you ever get your hands on the firmware I too would like a copy! I quite want to try and modify the code but don't plan on doing so unless I can recover the blade in case implementing a network stack proves to be too much...but...

Any chance you'd be willing to sell the pic-less blade towards development? Microcontroller code is a hobby of mine and I have a sneaking suspicion there are gains to be had here just like the Block Erupter USB's can be made to run 666MHs with a config flag option. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=357684 now imagine a BE blade possibly running 21.8GH on it's stock 12MHz crystal.

EDIT: Hmmm, I might have jumped the gun in the 'speed boost', and not read through far enough it appears it's just faking CGMINER out and the pool hash rate is only slightly rising, but so is error rate. Well, that idea is likely a bust, but I'd still be interested in trying to write my own firmware.
sidehack
Legendary

View Profile
December 14, 2013, 01:18:40 PM

That Blade is actually someone else's that I'm attempting to repair, so I'm not allowed to "sell" it to anyone unless the actual owner chose to part with it.

I've tested four or five of mine in the last few days and all of them are write-protected. Also messaged FriedCat about getting a firmware dump, or at least a replacement PIC, with no word. Not unexpected.

I also read that thread about improving speeds on the BE, but figured all it was doing was messing with speed reporting because my hashrate numbers were erroneous/weird while WU and pool's estimates remained unchanged.

Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
Roobotics (OP)

View Profile
December 14, 2013, 06:43:05 PM

That Blade is actually someone else's that I'm attempting to repair, so I'm not allowed to "sell" it to anyone unless the actual owner chose to part with it.

I've tested four or five of mine in the last few days and all of them are write-protected. Also messaged FriedCat about getting a firmware dump, or at least a replacement PIC, with no word. Not unexpected.

I also read that thread about improving speeds on the BE, but figured all it was doing was messing with speed reporting because my hashrate numbers were erroneous/weird while WU and pool's estimates remained unchanged.

I see, well that's quite unfortunate that board failed in the only way that currently can't be repaired. If the owner decides to part ways with it feel free to keep me posted or PM, I've a very high ebay feedback and am verified on paypal.

I've a good idea that the only way we'll get a firmware is if we ship them a 18F Pic on a demo board that has a programming header, get it back, desolder it and populate the board ourselves.

I somewhat doubt they have a hot socket for programming as it's all setup for ICSP, and they likely see sending the firmware as a loss of potential revenue... even though they don't sell these asics anywhere and they're being phased out.

And yes, the software BE speed thing seems to be a fallacy, still have to change the oscillator to get real improvement.

Also I'm curious why when you overclock blades you opt for ~14MHz instead of 16MHz, too much heat to deal with or the PSU circuitry overheats? (or maybe the 10A limit on the stock fuse)

I only ask because if it's heat you should explore the idea of thermal tape and thin heatsinks, I've done this to mine despite not being overclocked ATM and my temperatures are around in the <50C range.
sidehack
Legendary

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 04:25:54 AM

The minimum overclock my kits provide is 14MHz, the maximum is 16.384MHz. The kits include thermal tape and heatsinks to add to the topside of the chips to help thermal dissipation, and I've written up in the instructions some basic details on changes I've made to the stock heatsinking to make it work better. The kits also include a 15A fuse so the 10A limit is not a problem - 15 is probably overkill, 12 should do it but you never know.

A big outfit like AM has a lot to risk sending out their proprietary softwares, because even that puts people one step closer to reverse-engineering and cloning their stuff - which is rather evil. But it would be nice if they had some means of getting folks some replacement parts. I mean I know they have a warranty, sorta, but sometimes it sucks to do things that way.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: