Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 11:42:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: [Reward] Power? AsicMiner Blade V2  (Read 2127 times)
BryanK (OP)

Activity: 812
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 01:08:49 AM
Last edit: December 14, 2013, 10:00:09 PM by BryanK

Ok. I have a Backplane, and 1000W PSU.
I had a blade about a month ago and it ran flawlessly (i sold it). I have a new blade in which I got today that does not power on.
PSU is on and running.. Jumper is in place, Blade plugged in (properly). Fuse appears to be fine. I plug in the ethernet and have no indication of power and no ethernet flash  

I've done my research and have not found the solution. Ive ran through the setups multiple times but apparently somethings up here... Any help would be appreciated.

.. Having a backplane should make this setup pretty seamless...Wondering if its a blade issue or I'm missing something

edit:
i should also say that obviously I cannot navigate to 192.168.1.254:8000
I also tried resetting blade

edit2:
Checked Power:
I have 12.6v on the board as well as at top of the blade
I also have 12.6 at the fuse at the top too.. Suggestions?

***One thing I noticed is that I don't have any power coming out of the X12 output (at the top)...
^ i feel like the kid i bought this off of maybe shorted this? What can be done here to fix the blade. Theres power throughout the blade except here.

Willing to offer a small reward to someone who helps me to complete resolving of the issue Smiley

Thanks
Bryan
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BryanK (OP)

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 01:13:29 AM

I swear i had this same issue last time but I'm not sure lol
BryanK (OP)

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 03:52:31 PM

Bump on this.
aznatama

Activity: 167
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 09:18:35 PM

If it's plugged in correctly (not reversed) and the voltage is fine, then you may have a defective blade.
BryanK (OP)

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 10:28:35 PM

If it's plugged in correctly (not reversed) and the voltage is fine, then you may have a defective blade.

No, It's definitely plugged in correctly Smiley Heat sink facing the PSU. Smiley
BryanK (OP)

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 10:46:50 PM

No, It's definitely plugged in correctly Smiley Heat sink facing the PSU. Smiley

Agh, this is annoying. lol.
I've lost two days on this blade.
caminilegroup

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
December 12, 2013, 10:49:55 PM

Have you taken a vmm to the power terminals on the board to see if it is getting power?

With the power supply on hook up your vmm to the 12+ and 12- on the board, if you get 12v then do the same thing on the top of the blade, if you get power there then you have a defective blade.

If you get power on the board but not the top of the blade, a fuse is blown.

If you don't get power on the board terminals, then it is the power supply.
BryanK (OP)

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 11:02:02 PM

Have you taken a vmm to the power terminals on the board to see if it is getting power?

With the power supply on hook up your vmm to the 12+ and 12- on the board, if you get 12v then do the same thing on the top of the blade, if you get power there then you have a defective blade.

Thank you for your input. Ill check with what you suggested and check back in.

Thanks
BryanK (OP)

View Profile
December 14, 2013, 04:38:21 PM
Last edit: December 14, 2013, 04:58:56 PM by BryanK

Thanks

k, I have 12.6v on the board as well as at top of the blade

I also have 12.6 at the resistor at the top too.. Suggestions?

One thing I noticed is that I don't have any power coming out of the X12 output (at the top)...
^ i feel like the kid i bought this off of maybe shorted this? What can be done here to fix the blade. Theres power throughout the blade except here.
caminilegroup

View Profile WWW
December 14, 2013, 07:28:38 PM

Thanks

One thing I noticed is that I don't have any power coming out of the X12 output (at the top)...

X12,13,14 are for fans. I have brand new blades and don't have power on them either, although that could be my own fault too.

If you have power at all the points, then it is most likely a faulty board. Have you checked the 3.3 tp also?
BryanK (OP)

View Profile
December 14, 2013, 08:09:47 PM

Thanks

X12,13,14 are for fans. I have brand new blades and don't have power on them either, although that could be my own fault too.

If you have power at all the points, then it is most likely a faulty board. Have you checked the 3.3 tp also?

where is 3.3 tp?

Thanks!
caminilegroup

View Profile WWW
December 15, 2013, 12:06:09 AM

Thanks

where is 3.3 tp?

Thanks!

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-hghAPGmSelk/UpFeCHeGY6I/AAAAAAAAQQo/kQodE4j97DY/s800/IMG_0756.jpg

X7 (XXXXX)
        ^
sidehack
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1844

Curmudgeonly hardware guy

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 04:13:11 AM

You should see 3.3V across C286, and 1.05V at C166/167, C181/182 etc

Also take a close look at IC73, the PIC, to see if it's got any craters in it. I have partially-functional blade with visible rupture on this chip.

Cool, quiet and up to 1TH pod miner, on sale now!
Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
BryanK (OP)

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 02:24:08 PM

Thanks

where is 3.3 tp?

Thanks!

X7 (XXXXX)
        ^

Checked 3.3, I'm not getting any reading off of that. However, i must state I am not sure what I need to read in combination of this pin. Where should I place my meter probes?

Thanks
BryanK (OP)

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 02:35:29 PM

You should see 3.3V across C286, and 1.05V at C166/167, C181/182 etc

Also take a close look at IC73, the PIC, to see if it's got any craters in it. I have partially-functional blade with visible rupture on this chip.

Not getting anything across 286 nor the C166/167. Have to be honest though, like the comment above, Im not sure If I am probing the correct spots.
IC73 does not have any craters or ruptures in it.

Thanks for your help!
sidehack
Legendary

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 02:47:53 PM

Measure across the fuse - black lead on one side, red lead on the other. If you measure 12V across the fuse, I'd say your fuse is blown and should be replaced. No volts across any of the output caps for the various regulators means none of them are working, which means either every single one is somehow disabled, every single one is blown, or every single one is not getting power. The last option is by far the most likely, and the chief culprit is the fuse.

Is this a green-board blade with a fuse soldered on, or a blue-board blade with a socket? I've seen a few of the socketed blue-boards that had a bunged socket where the fuse made bad contact at one end, or the solder job was done poorly and didn't connect at one end.

Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
BryanK (OP)

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 03:56:14 PM

Measure across the fuse - black lead on one side, red lead on the other. If you measure 12V across the fuse, I'd say your fuse is blown and should be replaced. No volts across any of the output caps for the various regulators means none of them are working, which means either every single one is somehow disabled, every single one is blown, or every single one is not getting power. The last option is by far the most likely, and the chief culprit is the fuse.

Is this a green-board blade with a fuse soldered on, or a blue-board blade with a socket? I've seen a few of the socketed blue-boards that had a bunged socket where the fuse made bad contact at one end, or the solder job was done poorly and didn't connect at one end.

I get 12V across the fuse at top (f1)
This is the Green board with the fuse soldered on.

You think it would be a good start to replace that fuse? Where do they sell replacements? I haven't been able to find one around my area.

This is the case on two of my blades.
caminilegroup

View Profile WWW
December 15, 2013, 04:02:42 PM

When you checked for the 3.3 volts, your black lead stick it in ground, you can clamp it in the 12- on the board if you want or the port on the top with the piece that slides in.

BryanK (OP)

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 04:24:11 PM

When you checked for the 3.3 volts, your black lead stick it in ground, you can clamp it in the 12- on the board if you want or the port on the top with the piece that slides in.

Ok - I get nothing out of 3.3v

caminilegroup

View Profile WWW
December 15, 2013, 06:15:16 PM

It sounds like a faulty voltage regulator.

Probe the serial lines, one section over from the 3.3 section, you will have gnd, tx, rx. Probe the tx and rx and see if you have 3.3 on there. If you have an oscilloscope you could check the output, but seeing if 3.3 is on the tx and rx lets you know whether or not the serial port is active.

All roads are leading to a faulty board. No 3.3 would lead to a voltage regulator, and it the vr went bad and opened it could cause a whole host of problems. Now for all your baldes to have the same issue is troublesome.
BryanK (OP)

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 06:29:59 PM

It sounds like a faulty voltage regulator.

Probe the serial lines, one section over from the 3.3 section, you will have gnd, tx, rx. Probe the tx and rx and see if you have 3.3 on there. If you have an oscilloscope you could check the output, but seeing if 3.3 is on the tx and rx lets you know whether or not the serial port is active.

All roads are leading to a faulty board. No 3.3 would lead to a voltage regulator, and it the vr went bad and opened it could cause a whole host of problems. Now for all your baldes to have the same issue is troublesome.

Unfortunately do not have an oscilloscope.  I get nothing out of the TX nor the RX Sad
caminilegroup

View Profile WWW
December 15, 2013, 08:54:31 PM

Bad board, the microprocessor isn't powering up then. If IC 73 isn't damaged, I would guess bad voltage regulators, although it could be bad batch of caps to.

With it being more than one board, and if they were used, over voltage comes to mind. Pump to much power into it, frying the voltage regulator shorting it closed and good by board. Best case, the voltage regulator shorted open and didn't damage any componets.
BryanK (OP)

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 10:52:31 PM

Bad board, the microprocessor isn't powering up then. If IC 73 isn't damaged, I would guess bad voltage regulators, although it could be bad batch of caps to.

With it being more than one board, and if they were used, over voltage comes to mind. Pump to much power into it, frying the voltage regulator shorting it closed and good by board. Best case, the voltage regulator shorted open and didn't damage any componets.

Well the second board was my fault i do believe. For the fan output x12, when i was probing the voltage out of it, it sparked because i think the probe contacted both pins. After that, this happened. As for the first one, Its just as we discussed above. Any thoughts on the second one?

I really appreciate you taking the time to help
caminilegroup

View Profile WWW
December 15, 2013, 11:08:37 PM

Well the second board was my fault i do believe. For the fan output x12, when i was probing the voltage out of it, it sparked because i think the probe contacted both pins. After that, this happened. As for the first one, Its just as we discussed above. Any thoughts on the second one?

I really appreciate you taking the time to help

I got the spark to when I was probing X12, board still works fine, hashing away, I believe the X12-14 are protected in case of fan failures.

I just test my other boards, none of them have power on X12-14 so I'm not sure on that. Just to make sure I tested all the points and ~3.3 in the spots where it should be.

I hate to say it but it sounds like someone sold you their mistake. If I had a schematic of these things I could help more but I don't know which voltage regulator goes to what, especially with this board being layered, I can't follow traces.

Maybe sidehack has more more insite, he knows quite a lot more on these boards.
sidehack
Legendary

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 06:51:13 AM

If you measured 12V across the fuse, then it means the fuse is blown. You're getting power into the Blade's inputs, but not past the fuse. Sparks when testing voltage at the fan header could definitely cause the fuse to blow. Check the DC resistance of the fuse with no power applied - if it reads high (open-circuit) then it's blown.

The soldered-on fuses for the green-board blades are 8A SMD fuses in a 6125 package. Looks like Digikey is out of stock, but a 10A would also work (http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/2410SFV10.0FM%2F125-2/2410SFV10.0FM%2F125CT-ND/2766065) - that's what the blue-board blades came with by default.

If you want to test this, you can solder a 10A automotive blade fuse across the contacts in parallel with the existing fuse and if your blade lights up, that was the problem.

BryanK (OP)

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 12:58:18 PM

If you measured 12V across the fuse, then it means the fuse is blown. You're getting power into the Blade's inputs, but not past the fuse. Sparks when testing voltage at the fan header could definitely cause the fuse to blow. Check the DC resistance of the fuse with no power applied - if it reads high (open-circuit) then it's blown.

The soldered-on fuses for the green-board blades are 8A SMD fuses in a 6125 package. Looks like Digikey is out of stock, but a 10A would also work (http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/2410SFV10.0FM%2F125-2/2410SFV10.0FM%2F125CT-ND/2766065) - that's what the blue-board blades came with by default.

If you want to test this, you can solder a 10A automotive blade fuse across the contacts in parallel with the existing fuse and if your blade lights up, that was the problem.

Excellent, Ill test this right away. I really appreciate it. Ill report back later today.
BryanK (OP)

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 01:49:19 PM

Excellent, Ill test this right away. I really appreciate it. Ill report back later today.

I did just buy 5 fuses just in case I need them. Ill do the testing later on today.
BryanK (OP)

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 01:54:53 PM

I did just buy 5 fuses just in case I need them. Ill do the testing later on today.

Yahtzee!! - I held a 10a automotive blade fuse across the fuse and the LED lit up. Smiley I have the fuses on order and ill get them in place.
You two rock - If you both could - PM me your btc address and Ill send you a little thank you. Smiley

I really appreciate it!
caminilegroup

View Profile WWW
December 16, 2013, 02:05:16 PM

Glad you got it working. Happy hashing.

BTC in sig.
sidehack
Legendary

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 03:48:46 PM

Good to hear that worked. Yeah testing for power on these blades is sorta deceptive - you have to check on the downhill side of the fuse for 12V or you won't know if what's on the board is actually going anywhere.

BryanK (OP)

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 04:29:06 PM

Still have to wait for the fuses to come in before i can start hashing Wink

I probably can't use that auto fuse right? lol
caminilegroup

View Profile WWW
December 16, 2013, 04:43:37 PM

Still have to wait for the fuses to come in before i can start hashing Wink

I probably can't use that auto fuse right? lol

As long as it is 10A, it will be fine, maybe sidehack can vouch / verify
sidehack
Legendary

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 05:05:07 PM

A fuse is a fuse - as long as it meets the current rating it'll be fine. Cubes and 49-port hubs use automotive fuses. I've used automotive fuses on Blades. As long as you can get it to solder on reliably, it'll work.

Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: