Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 07:48:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for used hardware, or advice, for a 2 or 3 card miner,  (Read 3559 times)
Cablesaurus (OP)

Activity: 302
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2011, 05:58:32 AM

I'm considering building a 2 or 3 card mining box which I'd like to run 2, or 3 5870 or 5970's on. I realize getting three 5970's to work in one box might be hard to do on used hardware, so, whatever it takes to stay as cheap as possible.

Anyone have any advice on what motherboard and case I might go for?

I'm not going to have the cash to buy the GPU's immediately, but I'd like to begin thinking about getting the barebones of at least 1 standalone miner running soon.

Any advice is appreciated.

PCIe Extender Cables; Dummy Plugs, Fans; PSU Cables; Cases & More
Visit www.Cablesaurus.com and our forum thread at http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=6128.0

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Grinder
Legendary

Activity: 1284
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 21, 2011, 09:03:10 AM

If you don't already have the system you can probably just forget about it. Difficulty is only going to rise, and most of those who buys big systems to mine do it to sell them, so the value of BTC will most likely stay low. The people joining BTC to mine now aren't libertarians who believe in the BTC and want to keep it to use it as a currency, they just see it as easy money. I believe this will push the price down, because the libertarians will run out of money to buy all the new BTC on the market.
nofuture

Activity: 199
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 21, 2011, 04:55:16 PM

If you don't already have the system you can probably just forget about it. Difficulty is only going to rise, and most of those who buys big systems to mine do it to sell them, so the value of BTC will most likely stay low. The people joining BTC to mine now aren't libertarians who believe in the BTC and want to keep it to use it as a currency, they just see it as easy money. I believe this will push the price down, because the libertarians will run out of money to buy all the new BTC on the market.

I agree with you that difficulty is going to make mining infeasible for the individual.  However I disagree about price.  Price will continue to go up especially now that demand is high and creating new bitcoins is exceptionally difficult.   What new BTCs are generated will come at great cost in terms of hardware and power.   The will demand higher prices.    It's hard to believe you could buy 10000 BTC for less than $50 less than a year ago.  At that time a mining rig was a GREAT idea.  Now it seems dubious unless your willing to hold on to your generated BTC for a while.  So you spend $1000 on a rig and generate 500 BTC with it starting today.   In a year or so the 500 BTC may be worth enough to have made it worthwill.   

▬▬▬ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ E i d o o ▬ your blockchain asset experience ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▬▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ " Token Sale Raised 82,372.33 ETH " ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
▬▬▬ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ TwitterFacebook  ▰ BountyDiscussion ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▬▬▬
Cryptoman

Activity: 726
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 21, 2011, 10:08:46 PM

You can't put more than 2 double-slot GPUs in a box and still keep them cool without some kind of custom (expensive) cooling system.  So stick with 2 5870s or 2 5970s (good luck finding a 5970).  As far as motherboards, I've used the following, and they are both good:

ASUS M4A79XTD EVO
MSI 870-G45

You want a mobo that will provide one empty slot between the GPUs to allow sufficient airflow.  The MSI 870-G45 has the second GPU in the last two slots, and this can restrict airflow if you are using a tower case with a top-mount PSU or a rackmount case as the GPU fan intake will be next to the case wall.

As far as cases go, I'm a big Cooler Master fan.  I highly recommend a bottom-mount PSU design where the PSU can draw in cool air from underneath the case (mount the PSU fan-side down).  The PSU is the most likely fail point in a mining system because the GPUs will simply throttle if they get too hot.  You also want to be able to mount a high-flow fan in the front of the case blowing air directly on the GPUs.  The Scythe Ultra Kaze is excellent for this purpose, but it is loud.  It's also 38 mm thick and won't work with all cases.  I try to avoid side-mount fans because it's an extra step to remove the cover, and you have a wire dangling which might get caught up in a fan.  Make sure that the case you choose has sufficient clearance for the graphics adapter and that the drive bays do not block the airflow from the front fan.  With all this in mind, the Cooler Master CM-690 II is an excellent case for a mining rig, as is the HAF series (the cheapest HAF-912 works just fine).

You should put your rig on a table or shelf to avoid sucking in the dust which invariably settles on the floor.

"A small body of determined spirits fired by an unquenchable faith in their mission can alter the course of history." --Gandhi
Cablesaurus (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2011, 08:36:20 AM

Will an 850w Corsair power 2 5970's sufficiently?

Visit www.Cablesaurus.com and our forum thread at http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=6128.0
dust

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2011, 09:01:55 AM

Yes.  I'm using a TX850 with 2 5970's and a Sempron 140.

Cryptocoin Mining Info | OTC | PGP | Twitter | freenode: dust-otc | BTC: 1F6fV4U2xnpAuKtmQD6BWpK3EuRosKzF8U
Cablesaurus (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2011, 10:36:45 PM
Last edit: February 23, 2011, 12:19:13 AM by technopagan

I'm thinking of this box serving as a media backup/storage server for myself as well.

Will the cheaper coolermaster case serve with enough room for at least 2 hd's [with 2 5970's] with adequate airflow?

Edit: Also, what about running headless? I've heard there's problems surrounding this but I really don't have a spare monitor to use. Am I going to have to get one, or what?

yunk3r

Activity: 133
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 23, 2011, 12:46:03 AM

i would recommend using a monitor to set the system up, and install a vnc app or rdp app onto the computer so that if you do need to use the computer for something you can just log into it. if you are using windows on this computer i would recommend using windows live mesh because this will let you rdp into the box from any ware, and it will sync any files to the computer, so if you want to use the computer as a media server, anytime you add music or movie to you main computer the files will automatically be uploaded to the mining computer.
[Tycho]

Activity: 742

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2011, 12:52:16 AM

Edit: Also, what about running headless? I've heard there's problems surrounding this but I really don't have a spare monitor to use. Am I going to have to get one, or what?
I just plugged in VGA-to-Composite converter so it detected presence of "monitor" and allowed using OpenCL Smiley

Welcome to my bitcoin mining pool: https://deepbit.net - Both payment schemes (including PPS), instant payout, no invalid blocks !
ICBIT Trading platform : USD/BTC futures trading, Bitcoin difficulty futures (NEW!). Third year in bitcoin business.
TheHoboHarvester

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 23, 2011, 01:37:40 AM

Yes.  I'm using a TX850 with 2 5970's and a Sempron 140.

Yup, be sure to get one of these. If not, make sure to get a PSU that will have the connector's for however many cards you are using (listed under PCI connectors)
Cryptoman

Activity: 726

View Profile
February 23, 2011, 03:02:25 AM

Will the cheaper coolermaster case serve with enough room for at least 2 hd's [with 2 5970's] with adequate airflow?

Yes, absolutely.  The drive cage in the HAF-912 comes out completely, thus giving you a lot of clearance and a straight shot from the front fan.  See this video: http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/landing/haf912/home.php?page=features#modular.  I replaced the stock front fan with a high-flow 120 X 120 X 25 mm fan (this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835705040).

"A small body of determined spirits fired by an unquenchable faith in their mission can alter the course of history." --Gandhi
mrb
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1027

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2011, 11:00:26 AM

You can't put more than 2 double-slot GPUs in a box and still keep them cool without some kind of custom (expensive) cooling system.

Yes you can. This is what I run: http://blog.zorinaq.com/?e=47
bitjet

Activity: 696

View Profile
February 25, 2011, 03:56:41 PM

Yes, absolutely.  The drive cage in the HAF-912 comes out completely

I just used a set of tin snips on mine! Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: