Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 12:54:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The mysterious bitcoin flower opens once a day and reveals a free bitcoin  (Read 18258 times)
maxmint (OP)

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 13, 2011, 01:23:14 PM

A free bitcoin every day, thanks to the mysterious bitcoin flower!

Check out the bitcoin flower at http://www.bitcoinflower.com/. It opens once a day for 15 minutes and reveals a shiny bitcoin. Nobody knows when it opens (it's random) but if you're the first to see it you get a whole shiny bitcoin.

I just created this site and welcome your comments and suggestions.
Also, if you win a bitcoin I would be happy to read your comment here.

Have fun!

My PGP-Key: 462D02D8
Verify my messages using keybase: https://keybase.io/maxmint

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
August 13, 2011, 01:40:40 PM

It seems nice but why?
And you noticed that you paid a fee when you sent 1BTC to the first winner? http://blockexplorer.com/tx/0a95b89dd864b4a954f27b6d8e9a22bb85adeca9cd0d5594a9564d85c9a39b91

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
aq

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 13, 2011, 01:41:40 PM

Great idea!

Two suggestions:
1) You state that the flower will open once a day. So a visitor seeing that it was already open on a certain day wont come back again on the very same day. But if you technically open the flower once every 24 hours (not related to calender days), that could result in 2 openings on a single calendar day, depending on the timezone. As a result you could state that the flower opens "at least" once a day, and so every visitor will come back, even if the flower was already open on the very same day.
2) And you will have to add some time to the winners list, because depending on the timezone, it could be that the stated day hasn't even started yet for the visitor.

As I wrote before great idea, and nice graphics. Now if you add some web banners, the site will probably pay for itself Wink
maxmint (OP)

View Profile
August 13, 2011, 01:45:47 PM

Both very good suggestions – thanks for taking the time to share! I sure will implement this.

Great idea!

Two suggestions:
1) You state that the flower will open once a day. So a visitor seeing that it was already open on a certain day wont come back again on the very same day. But if you technically open the flower once every 24 hours (not related to calender days), that could result in 2 openings on a single calendar day, depending on the timezone. As a result you could state that the flower opens "at least" once a day, and so every visitor will come back, even if the flower was already open on the very same day.
2) And you will have to add some time to the winners list, because depending on the timezone, it could be that the stated day hasn't even started yet for the visitor.

As I wrote before great idea, and nice graphics. Now if you add some web banners, the site will probably pay for itself Wink

indicasteve

Activity: 140

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2011, 02:53:03 PM

Cool site...and a great idea to put a banner or something there to help pay for the btc prize!
* indicasteve goes back to his keyboard and writes a bot that scrapes the page every 5 seconds to alert him when closed.png changes to open.png

Art Express!  Native American Art, Crafts and Weapons!  coingig.com/ArtExpress
Xephan

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 13, 2011, 03:22:37 PM

Interesting idea... time to write a bot script to check every 2 minutes with autoclick to beat indicasteve to it... Cheesy
maxmint (OP)

View Profile
August 13, 2011, 03:29:55 PM

Yeah, someone will obviously come up with a bot but I have some (top secret) counteractive measures up my sleeves Wink
Right now the winner has to solve a captcha so there's no way to automatically claim the bitcoin, this must be done by a human.

Xephan

View Profile
August 13, 2011, 03:33:55 PM

Yeah, someone will obviously come up with a bot but I have some (top secret) counteractive measures up my sleeves Wink
Right now the winner has to solve a captcha so there's no way to automatically claim the bitcoin, this must be done by a human.

That's good. Obviously wasn't serious about botting your site and neither is indicasteve (I think!), just wanted to highlight the possible abuse you might get Cheesy
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2011, 03:37:10 PM

Cool site...and a great idea to put a banner or something there to help pay for the btc prize!
* indicasteve goes back to his keyboard and writes a bot that scrapes the page every 5 seconds to alert him when closed.png changes to open.png

+1(?)

I'm not that code savvy, indicasteve, but are you saying that a code can be written to open up the flower at will, thus being the first to see it and then be able to claim the Bitcoin? If this is an issue, is there a wraparound that would make this idea work? While waiting for the answer(s), I'm going to pen, then post here, why I feel this is an excellent idea.

The thought(s) I have will be my own, but I'm pretty sure it'll be in line with what Seth wrote in his book (of which I just found by accident while hunting an image to go with this post). If you don't know who Seth Godin (I'm an avid fan), then here are two excellent videos to get you up to speed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBIVlM435Zg and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQGYr9bnktw&feature=relmfu

Seth Godin spells out why, when it comes to getting our attention, bad or bizarre ideas are more successful than boring ones.

Founded on shared ideas and values, tribes give ordinary people the power to lead and make big change. ~Seth Godin
Gavin Andresen
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 2216

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2011, 03:38:36 PM

Interesting idea... time to write a bot script to check every 2 minutes with autoclick to beat indicasteve to it... Cheesy

Really?  You do realize that will just start an arms race with maxmint; he or she will write code to detect and ban bots, somebody will deploy bots via multiple IP addresses to workaround, maxmint will be forced to add a CAPTCHA, etc...

maxmint: it can be kind of fun to try to scam the scammers.  If you detect them, just never let them win (but don't tell them you're not letting them win).

However, they'll eventually figure out you're doing that.  The only way to win the arms race is to make it more expensive for the scammers to win than the reward.  If I recall correctly, getting around one-per-IP-address and CAPTCHA restrictions costs a scammer a few US pennies.  If you're giving away 1BTC worth $10, then you'll have to make sure the scammers will have to solve several thousand captchas to win.

How often do you get the chance to work on a potentially world-changing project?
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2011, 03:44:42 PM

Really?  You do realize that will just start an arms race with maxmint; he or she will write code to detect and ban bots, somebody will deploy bots via multiple IP addresses to workaround, maxmint will be forced to add a CAPTCHA, etc...

maxmint: it can be kind of fun to try to scam the scammers.  If you detect them, just never let them win (but don't tell them you're not letting them win).

However, they'll eventually figure out you're doing that.  The only way to win the arms race is to make it more expensive for the scammers to win than the reward.  If I recall correctly, getting around one-per-IP-address and CAPTCHA restrictions costs a scammer a few US pennies.  If you're giving away 1BTC worth $10, then you'll have to make sure the scammers will have to solve several thousand captchas to win.

There's always a solution!

Xephan

View Profile
August 13, 2011, 03:47:46 PM

Totally off-topic: What show is this? Cheesy
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2011, 04:00:31 PM

When I first read the concern, I envisioned the bot only being able to alert the bot-builder (or open on demand) that the flower has opened, then allowing him/him the opportunity to be the first to claim the prize.

I'm still penning that post, outlining how this is an excellent idea.

Here's hoping noone beats me to the flower patch.

Serge
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 13, 2011, 04:01:48 PM

heard that CAPTCHA's are not unbeatable 100%
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2011, 04:07:39 PM

I don't have a clue what show it is. I Googled (the only verb in the English language that must be capitalized to be properly used in an sentence) for images (since a picture's worth a...) using the phrase "There's always a solution!" to express that there's a solution to every challenge. Believe me! I want to stay on topic with this great idea.
Tx2000

Activity: 182

View Profile
August 13, 2011, 04:09:35 PM

Not a show. It's a movie: Grindouse: Planet Terror.  The other subflick is Death Proof.  Dual feature, if you will.
BTCrow

Activity: 243
Merit: 250

BTCrow.com

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2011, 04:13:27 PM

http://decaptcher.com/ > 2$ for 1000 solved captcha
IP basis is the best bet for this, 5k  private proxies (mostly botnet proxies) cost about 300-400$ weekly so not worthing buying thoses proxies only to get one bitcoin.

For free proxies you can use lists of softblocked proxies, so you don't allow any proxies IP to open the flower.

You can also use custom script to evade most of bot traffic
ex: block non JS / too old browser / softblocked proxy list etc etc

BTW, this is very awesome and generous to give away a free bitcoin like that and all I can say is thanks for this.

maxmint (OP)

View Profile
August 13, 2011, 04:15:19 PM

Serge, you're right. Most of the CAPTCHAs (including the very common reCAPTCHA) nowadays can be solved by machines or manually by people sitting in some low wage country. But it still is a significant obstacle.

heard that CAPTCHA's are not unbeatable 100%

evolve

daytrader/superhero

View Profile
August 13, 2011, 04:15:36 PM

cool idea!
Michael_S

Activity: 278
Merit: 250

Bitcoin-Note-and-Voucher-Printing-Empowerer

View Profile
August 13, 2011, 04:26:22 PM

Both very good suggestions – thanks for taking the time to share! I sure will implement this.

Great idea!

Two suggestions:
1) [...] if you technically open the flower once every 24 hours (not related to calender days), that could result in 2 openings on a single calendar day [...] As a result you could state that the flower opens "at least" once a day [...]

No, that is not accurate, and a critical mind would be totally right considering this dubious.

If you introduce a random time T between two openings, where T is on average 24 hours, you will have ON AVERAGE 1 opening per day, and ON AVERAGE 365 openings per year etc. BUT: You can (and will!) very well have time periods of more than 24 hours, too, i.e. you will have calendar days (and sometimes even two or more successive calendar days) with no opening at all.

So it is simply not correct to claim "that the flower opens "at least" once a day".

Here is a quick example, when implementing the time T as a random value following a Rayleigh distribution, with an average of T=1.0 days:

Matlab code:
Code:
>> N=1e7; x=randn(1,N); y=randn(1,N); T=sqrt(x.^2+y.^2)/sqrt(pi/2); mu = mean(T),
>> hist(T,50); title(['Histogram: rayleigh distributed random variable T, mean=',num2str(mu)]); xlabel('T')
>> 100*length(T(T<0.90))/length(T), 100*length(T(T<0.50))/length(T), 100*length(T(T<0.25))/length(T)
>> 100*length(T(T>1.0))/length(T), 100*length(T(T>1.5))/length(T), 100*length(T(T>2.0))/length(T)

Result:
* In 47.1% / 17.8% / 4.8% of all cases, the time duration T between two openings is shorter than 0.90 / 0.50 / 0.25 days
But also:
* In 45.6% / 17.1% / 4.3% of all cases, the time duration T between two openings is longer than 1.0 / 1.5 / 2.0 days

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: