Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 07:49:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The mysterious bitcoin flower opens once a day and reveals a free bitcoin  (Read 18257 times)
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2011, 12:00:16 AM

Thank you all for commenting, throwing in your ideas and sharing your grindhouse passion at this thread Wink

Here's a quick update:
- Automated scripts could be the site's achilles' heel. I'm currently evaluating your suggestions and some other ideas to come up with something in the next couple of days. I know it's not possible to find the perfect solution, but I think there's a way to at least limit this problem.
- As suggested by some of you, I decided to put up a banner space to somehow refinance the site. I tried to avoid cluttering up the site by putting only one small banner at the right sidebar.

Or a rotating banner. Each day somebody from the Bitcoin community who has a website is that day's sponsor. For about $10, he gets 24 hour exposure (midnight to midnight, CST?).

Today's Bitcoin Flower is Sponsored by BitAccordion.com

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
BTC4Host

Activity: 31
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 16, 2011, 02:16:34 AM

I think someone is using a bot. I was just there when the flower opened, and I missed it!
fcmatt
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 16, 2011, 02:53:18 AM

I think someone is using a bot. I was just there when the flower opened, and I missed it!

i missed it also. it was like there was nothing to click on so i quickly opened IE instead of opera
thinking my fav web browser was not working but alas.. i was too slow.

i am still unsure where to click next time if i am lucky enough to see it... on the coin it says.. but it is
frustrating clicking on the coin to see nothing happen. i would prefer it to say.. sorry, too slow! heh.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2011, 05:16:20 AM
Last edit: August 22, 2011, 01:15:31 PM by Phinnaeus Gage

Is anybody here working on an animated flower, or something similar, that reveals a Bitcoin?

Eli

Activity: 128
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 16, 2011, 07:27:32 AM

A free bitcoin every day, thanks to the mysterious bitcoin flower!

Check out the bitcoin flower at http://www.bitcoinflower.com/. It opens once a day for 15 minutes and reveals a shiny bitcoin. Nobody knows when it opens (it's random) but if you're the first to see it you get a whole shiny bitcoin.

I just created this site and welcome your comments and suggestions.
Also, if you win a bitcoin I would be happy to read your comment here.

Have fun!

I just wanted to say that I like your idea every much and like the way #25 is going with it. It could really be something useful to all parties involved if you can overcome the bot problem without making it an annoying thing to do.

Godspeed.
BitcoinStars.com

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 16, 2011, 07:47:29 AM

Best of luck with the website
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2011, 07:49:04 AM

Although I'm intrigued by the direction that this thread has progressed so far, I wish to get back on track with what the OP has introduced, before it forks to a discussion on the how and why the African swallows are non-migratory. Granted, all the posts are enlightening and on-topic, but I like to see how this idea can be taken to the nth degree in regards to strengthening Bitcoin's position.

With that said, I offer up the following:

Let's put bots and any security concerns to the side for the moment, because if, at the onset of Bitcoin, the founders spent all their time discussing nefarious schemes upon brainstorming the next-great-idea, Bitcoin wouldn't be where it is today--they'll still be hashing out the what ifs. I offered up a way to not use captcha in post #21 which is, BTW, a good way to increase your mailing list. The money is in the list!

Every now and then, a Remarkable idea blossoms from the Bitcoin community. I feel that this is one such Remarkable idea. See: http://sethgodin.typepad.com/seths_blog/2007/01/how_to_be_remar.html

Imagine, if you will companies, of any size (not 1 or 2 or 9.5, but 100's/1,000's), incorporating this Mysterious Bitcoin innovation in their websites. These companies don't even need to embrace, nor believe in, Bitcoin to gain value by incorporating this gimmick, for lack of a better word. As an example, Moen.com could have a page showing an image of a facet (which reminds me of another idea) in the off position (not flowing). But randomly, once a day (or whatever the time frame), it start flowing--bitcoin(s). As another example, a seller of upper-end toasters has a dedicated page showing an image of a toaster with one of its levers in the down position (visualize toast being made). Again, randomly once a day that side pops up, revealing a Bitcoin. Afterwards, the lever on the other side goes down once the Bitcoin is claimed.

Every single product and service can incorporate this idea. If you doubt that statement, name an example--any example--and I'll tell you how it could be achieved provided, of course, the website owner wants it.

Another quick example: dictionary.com could have a special search box so one could type in a word (the use of cookies allows you to do this only once a day) and if it matches the magic word-of-the-day, voilà--Bitcoin(s)!

Now, further imagine a site dedicated to listing every site that has incorporated this gimmick (sorry for incorporating the word incorporated numerous times in this post, as well as the several uses of parentheses I incorporated to explain myself, but I can't help it because Bitcoin excites me--excites me so much that you may have noticed I incorporated the use of this parenthesized statement after the wrong word--but I digress). This possible site would not only list the above mentioned sites in categories, but also list the exact times (clock, as well as maybe the number of) the Bitcoin was last revealed at each site. Furthermore, it would show a "hot list" of sites fast approaching the deadline of when the Bitcoin is suppose to be revealed--colored coded red/orange/yellow. It could even list who the winners are.

As you can clearly see, more traffic is generated to each website that employs the use of the Mysterious Bitcoin (name change may be in order here--ideas?). More traffic=more sales (unless the product or service completely sucks--but Bitcoin doesn't hurt their endeavor). It'll be up to each site owner on how to implement this program to get maximum return on their $0 investment.

Although the OP has set the proverbial bar high with his Bitcoin producing flower, I'm sure other artists will soon be champing at the bit to showcase their talents, as well, to better the latest new graphic.

Remember, this is the time of year shop owners are jockeying for position to get their sites ready for the Christmas season. Here's one idea on the table they'll be hard-pressed to pass up.

Speaking of Christmas, pictured three socks hanging on the fireplace mantel...

Thank you Eli. And for those that don't have the time to hunt it, I quoted #25 for your reading pleasure.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2011, 07:54:04 AM

Some sites, like Godaddy, have a timeout code built into their website. If you'll been on the page for over a certain period of time without any activity, the page has to be refreshed or you must relog in.

Comments?
giantdragon
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 16, 2011, 11:16:42 AM

Some sites, like Godaddy, have a timeout code built into their website. If you'll been on the page for over a certain period of time without any activity, the page has to be refreshed or you must relog in.
My site also has 2 minute prize expiration time, I think it is good to implement the same in your flower.
BTCrow

Activity: 243
Merit: 250

BTCrow.com

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2011, 12:28:26 PM

maxmint, as I said in another post thanks for this site. I just saw the advertiser banner to advertise, 1 complete BTC for 24 hours good!

May I know how much UV (Unique Visitors) are you getting per those 24 hours ?

giantdragon
Legendary

View Profile
August 16, 2011, 12:40:53 PM
Last edit: August 16, 2011, 12:56:33 PM by giantdragon

The same question, show more stats. Or there are so few visitors that you don't want to reveal data?

P.S. Giving away only ONE bounty per day is not enough to motivate significant number of users to regularly visit site, IMHO.
julz
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 16, 2011, 01:11:46 PM

CDT?  Is that Australian, Cuban or North American?

UTC is so much more internet friendly... I don't understand why so many people persist in using these parochial abbreviations on global websites (especially when it's not obvious what country the site is in or aimed at)

@electricwings   BM-GtyD5exuDJ2kvEbr41XchkC8x9hPxdFd
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2011, 03:56:17 PM

UTC is so much more internet friendly... I don't understand why so many people persist in using these parochial abbreviations on global websites (especially when it's not obvious what country the site is in or aimed at)

Very good point. I'm the one who made that faux pas (opted for the French word/phrase here since this is a global site). I first typed EST? but thought that didn't look right, deciding to go with the US timezone I live in--CDT (boy, I really screwed this up--I meant CST). The whole time I was writing/editing that sentence, I was thinking about using a Coordinated Universal Time, but didn't think that would CUT the mustard. I almost went with GMT, but didn't want to take the time to see if I spelled it correctly like I should of done with CDT. Either (or is it either) way, I felt the gist of the idea would come through. I believe it has, for I think I already read one comment on my idea.

Now, let's recap what we have so far: (remind me what I missed so that I can add it to the list)

• A Rotating Banner Ad
  • Open More Than Once a Day
  • Script to Fool the Bots
  • Make it Animated

As an aside, maxmint, I just saw your music video. I like your voice but, moreover, I like your look (not in a gay way--not that the word gay is bad [got to cover all bases on this board]). Do you build any homemade musical instruments? I'm forming a group of musicians that build and play their own musical instruments--not the cheap plastic types, but good sounding instruments. I have an IN over at AGT that could get the group to the top 10, provided the sound is spot on. I already have the name of the group (secret) and the gimmick that will spring it to the Top 10. I'm hunting members now (in my spare time--haha, thanks to Bitcoin).

To give you an idea of what I have in the works, I'll show you these two images:

THEY

MEET

maxmint (OP)

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 16, 2011, 07:51:11 PM

maxmint, as I said in another post thanks for this site. I just saw the advertiser banner to advertise, 1 complete BTC for 24 hours good!

Since the site is only 3 days old I can't give really meaningful stats yet. But this is what Google Analytics tracked for the 24 hours of yesterday:
Unique visits: 1647
Pageviews: 9692
Average time on site: 10 minutes 44 seconds

I can't tell how many of these visitors are bots, but I think a great deal of them are real people as the current ad gets a nice click through rate (I don't think bots are clicking ads).
For those of you how would like to sponsor the flower, I just set up a simple banner booking system:
http://www.bitcoinflower.com/ads/

Absolutely right, thanks for pointing this out. I'll change that.

As an aside, maxmint, I just saw your music video. I like your voice but, moreover, I like your look (not in a gay way--not that the word gay is bad [got to cover all bases on this board]). Do you build any homemade musical instruments? I'm forming a group of musicians that build and play their own musical instruments--not the cheap plastic types, but good sounding instruments. I have an IN over at AGT that could get the group to the top 10, provided the sound is spot on. I already have the name of the group (secret) and the gimmick that will spring it to the Top 10. I'm hunting members now (in my spare time--haha, thanks to Bitcoin).
No, I don't build instruments myself but your concept sound kind of cool – let's discuss this via PM Smiley
Also, I'm still having the animated flower you suggested on my list but did not find the time yet to implement.

My PGP-Key: 462D02D8
Verify my messages using keybase: https://keybase.io/maxmint
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2011, 09:02:40 PM

Since the site is only 3 days old I can't give really meaningful stats yet. But this is what Google Analytics tracked for the 24 hours of yesterday:

I can't tell how many of these visitors are bots, but I think a great deal of them are real people as the current ad gets a nice click through rate (I don't think bots are clicking ads).
For those of you how would like to sponsor the flower, I just set up a simple banner booking system:

Absolutely right, thanks for pointing this out. I'll change that.

No, I don't build instruments myself but your concept sound kind of cool – let's discuss this via PM Smiley
Also, I'm still having the animated flower you suggested on my list but did not find the time yet to implement.

maxmint, I believe that the CDT comment by julz was directed toward me, which I've already address. It was my bad!
BTCrow

Activity: 243
Merit: 250

BTCrow.com

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2011, 02:08:26 PM

Wow it's growing fast lol, thanks for making the stats page, at least we'll know how CPM it cost to advertise on the site.

THanks a lot for this service again

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2011, 07:35:32 PM

Wow it's growing fast lol, thanks for making the stats page, at least we'll know how CPM it cost to advertise on the site.

THanks a lot for this service again

I will definitely buy at least 1 one day banner ad at http://www.bitcoinflower.com/ once I get Bitcoin Leather's website up and running, because...

This is My Favorite Thread

giantdragon
Legendary

View Profile
August 17, 2011, 07:43:24 PM

2 BTC per day is very expensive. According to you stats, your flower generates about 10k impressions per day, i.e. you charge 0.2 BTC ($2) per 1000 impressions. First time you may get enough advertisers, but soon you would need to reduce the price.
maxmint (OP)

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 17, 2011, 08:27:08 PM

2 BTC per day is very expensive. According to you stats, your flower generates about 10k impressions per day, i.e. you charge 0.2 BTC ($2) per 1000 impressions. First time you may get enough advertisers, but soon you would need to reduce the price.

You are right and I know that 2 BTC is much for 10K impressions. I wanted to go with 1 BTC, but here's the reason I had to raise the price:
I implemented an anti-bot method which is using lots of processing power from my cloud server hence generating real cost for me.

However, my ultimate goal is to bring down ad price to 1 BTC per day or increase traffic so that 2 BTC is a reasonable price.

My PGP-Key: 462D02D8
Verify my messages using keybase: https://keybase.io/maxmint
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2011, 01:51:32 AM

You are right and I know that 2 BTC is much for 10K impressions. I wanted to go with 1 BTC, but here's the reason I had to raise the price:
I implemented an anti-bot method which is using lots of processing power from my cloud server hence generating real cost for me.

However, my ultimate goal is to bring down ad price to 1 BTC per day or increase traffic so that 2 BTC is a reasonable price.

WOW! ---> http://chartbeat.com/dashboard2/?url=bitcoinflower.com&k=45d4156495a40de15a8d84966ccbb28b#
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: