Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 11:12:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 »
  Print  
Author Topic: ALLMINE INC - FPGA Cryptominer  (Read 51487 times)
melpheos

Activity: 557
Merit: 5

View Profile
June 07, 2018, 11:46:27 AM

We will be building protections into the shell. HOWEVER, that's our code. We can't control other's code or what code you use. If you run some code that has no protections built in and you damage your board; do you think we should warranty that?

Obviously trying to push 300 watts through a device designed to handle 225W is not going to end well. Another example, running the devices at the upper limits of their thermal design.

That's great news. Waiting forward for Europe shipping and pricing

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
stolarzz

Activity: 111
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 07, 2018, 12:15:56 PM

We will be building protections into the shell. HOWEVER, that's our code. We can't control other's code or what code you use. If you run some code that has no protections built in and you damage your board; do you think we should warranty that?

Obviously trying to push 300 watts through a device designed to handle 225W is not going to end well. Another example, running the devices at the upper limits of their thermal design.

That's great news. Waiting forward for Europe shipping and pricing
From what country you'll be shipping in europe?
Any possibility to take it by yourself person to person?
chup

Activity: 736
Merit: 262

Me, Myself & I

View Profile
June 07, 2018, 12:34:09 PM

Huawei didn't hold the gun but is paying 1B fines. Easy as that.

For warranty? Can't seem to google any related article about that 1B fines and Huawei, got link?

My mistake. ZTE got 1B fines, Huawei permanent US ban. Not related to warranty, point was one shouldn't gunpoint to get fines...

bitblazing

Activity: 109
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 07, 2018, 02:18:28 PM

When are sales going to go live?
GPUHoarder

Activity: 154
Merit: 37

View Profile
June 07, 2018, 02:18:53 PM

90 day warranty is a big turnoff for a 3-4k USD item.

is there not a way to build in protection circuits to the device. i know the fpga will not self throttle (afaik) without specific bitstream support (maybe i have that wrong?) but surely there are ways to monitor critical sections of the cards (VRMs, FPGA, support chips, whatever) to downclock the device. i mean gpus are more or less bulletproof in that regard, why cant your card do the same.

seems the only thing outside of your control is ESD damage. that i can see as most miners probably ignore it.

at least offer an extended warranty for an added price.

180 days i could handle, 90 days, not so much. sounds almost like youre deliberately running beyond spec and cooling abilities and dont expect it to last.

no disrespect intended but self preservation seems like it should be built into high performance parts from day one.

EDIT btw not all miners abuse their rigs. my rigs lead a better life than my daily driver.. constant power (no cycling), better cooling, more checks for maintenance (temps, dust, cable conditions) etc.

Again - we are not building these cards, nor designing them. Xilinx provides what they provide. The reality is there is no magic clock that makes these boards go up into smoke in 90 days. They’re reliable, but fully controllable by the user and therefore can be abused and damaged through carelessness in ways that are impossible to tell from hardware failure. 90 days covers actual defective hardware.

Regardless - here are the terms, no one forces you to buy. You must decide yourself.

Sales should be live today, once we get green light.
melpheos

View Profile
June 07, 2018, 02:30:43 PM

is there not a way to build in protection circuits to the device. i know the fpga will not self throttle (afaik) without specific bitstream support (maybe i have that wrong?) but surely there are ways to monitor critical sections of the cards (VRMs, FPGA, support chips, whatever) to downclock the device. i mean gpus are more or less bulletproof in that regard, why cant your card do the same.

seems the only thing outside of your control is ESD damage. that i can see as most miners probably ignore it.

180 days i could handle, 90 days, not so much. sounds almost like youre deliberately running beyond spec and cooling abilities and dont expect it to last.

no disrespect intended but self preservation seems like it should be built into high performance parts from day one.

EDIT btw not all miners abuse their rigs. my rigs lead a better life than my daily driver.. constant power (no cycling), better cooling, more checks for maintenance (temps, dust, cable conditions) etc.

Again - we are not building these cards, nor designing them. Xilinx provides what they provide. The reality is there is no magic clock that makes these boards go up into smoke in 90 days. They’re reliable, but fully controllable by the user and therefore can be abused and damaged through carelessness in ways that are impossible to tell from hardware failure. 90 days covers actual defective hardware.

Regardless - here are the terms, no one forces you to buy. You must decide yourself.

Will you be able to ship to Europe from the get-go or will we poor european have to wait patiently till August or buy from bittware or digikey
dragonmike

Activity: 1274
Merit: 556

View Profile
June 07, 2018, 02:46:12 PM

This is awesome news and pleeeeeeeease make sure you do give us a complete writeup with most detailed information and instructions before you release the cards for sale. Especially minimum requirements. This is big money for a lot of people.
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3794
Merit: 4861

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
June 07, 2018, 03:10:21 PM

My moniker, while perhaps not as warm and trusting on the surface, has my last name in it. So... Cheesy

https://www.linkedin.com/in/tom-sensel-10454a79/

Thats cool, you probably don't know that no one can access that link unless they have signed up for linkden.

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
suchmoon
Legendary

Activity: 3640
Merit: 8908

https://bpip.org

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2018, 03:20:20 PM

If they actually end up taking PayPal, use a credit card that doubles warranties (MasterCard does I think).

I'm not a big fan of this short warranty but if that helps to keep the price low I can live with that. I used to be excited about 3-5 year warranties on GPUs however in retrospect I wish I had bought refurbs 20% cheaper with 90-day warranty. The low rate of failure and the hassle of RMAing the whole thing to replace a $10 fan is just not worth it. Granted this FPGA is a far more expensive product and an unknown risk so I can understand your concern.
vapourminer
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3505

what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?

View Profile
June 07, 2018, 04:47:44 PM

so basically if we stick to only your officially sanctioned bitstreams we should be withing card limits. its just if we load others we may destroy the card if we dont know what we are doing?
senseless (OP)

Activity: 1118
Merit: 541

View Profile
June 07, 2018, 06:07:20 PM

so basically if we stick to only your officially sanctioned bitstreams we should be withing card limits. its just if we load others we may destroy the card if we dont know what we are doing?

The way that I would see users destroying their card is operating bitstreams that push things to the extreme while not providing adequate cooling.
OR
Using a long molex chain to power multiple risers that would surely melt under the load.
OR
Using a sata connector to plug into the riser which isn't rated for 75W.

uerzer

Activity: 1

View Profile
June 07, 2018, 06:14:31 PM

Update: Anyone wishing to develop bitstreams for release to the boards, please contact me via PM. If you haven't already designed a crypto core for fpga, this doesn't apply to you.

I'm interested in deploying for it, I have some FPGA experience in the telecoms, just getting familiar with crypto. What do I need to start?
senseless (OP)

View Profile
June 07, 2018, 07:14:16 PM

UPDATE:

Launch of sales for the VCU1525 blockchain edition are about to begin. To ensure that devices are distributed among the community we will be staggering the sales over time and placing a limit of 4 devices per order. Stock will be added in small quantities over arbitrary intervals until sales have completed. If you're not able to order your device immediately; it is recommended you check back over 10-15 minute intervals.

Orders will start at 4PM EST on June 7, 2018

melpheos

View Profile
June 07, 2018, 07:18:33 PM

UPDATE:

Launch of sales for the VCU1525 blockchain edition are about to begin. To ensure that devices are distributed among the community we will be staggering the sales over time and placing a limit of 4 devices per order. Stock will be added in small quantities over arbitrary intervals until sales have completed. If you're not able to order your device immediately; it is recommended you check back over 10-15 minute intervals.

Europe ?
FPGA Land apparently require as valid VAT ID.
As an individual, I dont have one... Am i stuck there ?
dazzmore

Activity: 26

View Profile
June 07, 2018, 07:21:44 PM

UPDATE:

I'm in the US. Is PayPal still an option or just crypto? Would be nice to do PayPal since the market might be going up, and I don't wanna miss out on them gainz.
lunobird

Activity: 846
Merit: 115

View Profile
June 07, 2018, 07:23:27 PM

UPDATE:

I'm in the US. Is PayPal still an option or just crypto? Would be nice to do PayPal since the market might be going up, and I don't wanna miss out on them gainz.

Yep plus paying in crypto causes a taxable event which is also something that some people would like to avoid. Paying with paypal, credit cards does not cause a tax event.
GPUHoarder

Activity: 154
Merit: 37

View Profile
June 07, 2018, 07:24:11 PM

UPDATE:

PayPal is just fine.

VAT number should be optional, providing it lets us not charge you VAT.
senseless (OP)

View Profile
June 07, 2018, 07:36:24 PM

UPDATE:

Europe ?
FPGA Land apparently require as valid VAT ID.
As an individual, I dont have one... Am i stuck there ?

It's not required

volish

Activity: 35

View Profile
June 07, 2018, 07:55:00 PM

Any vids yet?
vapourminer
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3505

what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?

View Profile
June 07, 2018, 07:55:12 PM

The way that I would see users destroying their card is operating bitstreams that push things to the extreme while not providing adequate cooling.
OR
Using a long molex chain to power multiple risers that would surely melt under the load.
OR
Using a sata connector to plug into the riser which isn't rated for 75W.

well going to be plugged directly into a x16 slot so no worries on the last two.

as for bitstreams ill use ones vetted by your group. cooling.. well i have deltas if needed and dont mind the noise; it will be in the basement.

still dont like the 90 day warranty but it is what it is.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 »
  Print  

Jump to: