Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 08:43:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Compiling Bitcoin/applying patches  (Read 1413 times)
rogalik (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 21, 2011, 10:38:13 AM

OK, for the introduction - I'm completely dummy in programming. And I have no intention of learning it now, got other things to do.

But I think that it would be nice to see some tutorial how to apply patches for complete newbies. With all the steps, from choosing a program to install to explaining output files. Honestly, I don't even know in what language is Bitcoin written, but I suppose it's C# (?), because some people here said something about (Microsoft?) Visual Studio...

Now digging into details: I want to apply this patch http://github.com/m0mchil/bitcoin-getwork and from what I understand, a self-made build of Bitcoin is necessary. If this was discussed earlier, please redirect me, maybe I was searching wrongly.

Alternatively, someone keen could build a binary with this patch applied... But an explanation would still be nice.
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
LZ
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1072

P2P Cryptocurrency

View Profile
February 21, 2011, 10:48:14 AM

I suppose it's C# (?)
No, it is C++ language.

(Microsoft?) Visual Studio...
Yes, but it is not necessary. You can use MinGW instead.

It is already integrated into the main SVN trunk, is not it?

My OpenPGP fingerprint: 5099EB8C0F2E68C63B4ECBB9A9D0993E04143362
rogalik (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 21, 2011, 12:24:36 PM

OK, problem solved, I just needed to read the tutorial to OpenCL mining. Thanks for the answers though. I'd like to have two misc questions: do I have to have the option "Generate coins" in Bitcoin enabled when mining with poclbm? And the second question: when I close poclbm, does my work get saved somewhere? Or does it have to be running all the time until it generates a block?
ribuck
Donator

Activity: 826
Merit: 1039

View Profile
February 21, 2011, 01:20:19 PM

do I have to have the option "Generate coins" in Bitcoin enabled when mining with poclbm?

No you don't.

...when I close poclbm, does my work get saved somewhere

There is never any partial work that could be saved. Each hash is a completely independent attempt at solving the block, and your miner makes millions of those attempts every second.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: