Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 04:35:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What Mining internet access is needed?  (Read 8368 times)
takagari (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 08:43:59 PM

Looking to mine BTC, as well as LTC and Other Alt coins.

Power, space, heat, not an issue for me. But I'm concerned about internet. If the internet goes down I assume we are making Nothing for that time?

So, Currently I have DSL, all which is offered in my area, however they offer a wireless service.
would having a backup service be worth it? If so what's the best way to run a network using both/sharing or falling back on the second internet service?

All that being set, Best network router for a mining setup? I've got someone wanting me to host a few LTC rigs for them. and I'd like to have the most efficient router. Power backup etc. is already covered!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
empoweoqwj

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 01:54:51 AM

Looking to mine BTC, as well as LTC and Other Alt coins.

Power, space, heat, not an issue for me. But I'm concerned about internet. If the internet goes down I assume we are making Nothing for that time?

So, Currently I have DSL, all which is offered in my area, however they offer a wireless service.
would having a backup service be worth it? If so what's the best way to run a network using both/sharing or falling back on the second internet service?

All that being set, Best network router for a mining setup? I've got someone wanting me to host a few LTC rigs for them. and I'd like to have the most efficient router. Power backup etc. is already covered!

Unless your DSL goes down regularly I wouldn't bother with a backup. The switching back and forth between DSL and a wireless system just adds to the cost and complexity of the system
HellDiverUK

Activity: 1246
Merit: 501

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 11:06:13 AM

If you're REALLY concerned about it, why not use a router that can take a 3G dongle?  My old Asus can take a 3G dongle, which it'll use if the ADSL goes down.  Just put in a PAYG SIM, job done. 
empoweoqwj

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 11:41:28 AM

If you're REALLY concerned about it, why not use a router that can take a 3G dongle?  My old Asus can take a 3G dongle, which it'll use if the ADSL goes down.  Just put in a PAYG SIM, job done. 

Good idea if your ADSL goes down regularly, I know from experience ADSL can be a bit flaky. Just depends on your location. I now live in a "developing country" and the Net's not been down in 3 months.
HellDiverUK

Activity: 1246

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 02:54:07 PM

I'm on ADSL, 2 miles from a main road, with nothing but some 1960s overhead cable connecting me to civilization.  I have 12/1Mb that's totally stable.  Last time the internet was down was the day some eejit crashed his car in to one of the telephone poles and knocked it down.  Roll Eyes
empoweoqwj

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 07:20:20 AM

I'm on ADSL, 2 miles from a main road, with nothing but some 1960s overhead cable connecting me to civilization.  I have 12/1Mb that's totally stable.  Last time the internet was down was the day some eejit crashed his car in to one of the telephone poles and knocked it down.  Roll Eyes

Yep. That'll do it!
AndrewWilliams

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

Fourth richest fictional character

View Profile
December 18, 2013, 07:28:52 PM

Anyone off the grid and successfully using satellite internet to mine? (Like Hughes Internet)

empoweoqwj

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 02:09:09 AM

Anyone off the grid and successfully using satellite internet to mine? (Like Hughes Internet)

Internet is internet. Lots of people use satellite for Internet. If you can connect to nodes you can mine.
Trongersoll

Activity: 490

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 09:11:15 PM

Mining doesn't use a lot of bandwidth.

They make load balancing routers that will split your load between multiple internet connections.
empoweoqwj

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 02:33:57 AM

Mining doesn't use a lot of bandwidth.

They make load balancing routers that will split your load between multiple internet connections.

You can mine on a 3G connection if that's all you have.
DrG
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1035

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 11:53:50 AM

Mining doesn't need bandwidth but it does benefit from low latency.  Having sat connection will result in more stales and rejects from discarded work.
slk_wow

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 01:19:45 PM

I usually check the latency of the pools before mining, latency is a key parameter in networking.
empoweoqwj

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 02:31:29 PM

I usually check the latency of the pools before mining, latency is a key parameter in networking.

In networking or in mining?
slk_wow

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 04:05:52 PM

mining sure  Grin
empoweoqwj

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 05:09:57 AM

How do you "improve" latency?
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 05:15:11 AM

Pick a pool (or server) that's geographically closer?

Ozcoin has 4 stratum servers that all work. Here are my latencies:

stratum.ozco.in = 56ms
us.ozco.in = 70ms
au.ozco.in = 292ms
eustratum.ozco.in = 99ms

Guess which two servers I set as my primary and backup pools? (Don't worry, my third backup is another pool entirely).

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
empoweoqwj

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 05:34:54 AM

Pick a pool (or server) that's geographically closer?

Ozcoin has 4 stratum servers that all work. Here are my latencies:

stratum.ozco.in = 56ms
us.ozco.in = 70ms
au.ozco.in = 292ms
eustratum.ozco.in = 99ms

Guess which two servers I set as my primary and backup pools? (Don't worry, my third backup is another pool entirely).

OK, gotcha, (in my language) ping time Smiley

Yeah, its very hard to improve your ping time generally, though there are tools that enable you to find the fastest nameservers available .... but generally, yes, you need a host that is geographically close to you.
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 05:54:38 AM

OK, gotcha, (in my language) ping time Smiley

Yeah, its very hard to improve your ping time generally, though there are tools that enable you to find the fastest nameservers available .... but generally, yes, you need a host that is geographically close to you.
Finding a faster DNS will only improve the initial IP lookup. Once your computer has the IP for that domain, it's just a direct communication.

And latency isn't even that HUGE of deal, esp if you're on stratum.

It's kind of important if you're on P2Pool, but that's a special case.

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: