Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 09:16:21 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining to pay my computer off?  (Read 147 times)
Youdo (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 12, 2018, 11:33:10 AM

Hello everyone,

I'm currently buying components for my next computer and I was wondering if mining would allow me to amortize my computer?

I know it's unrealistic to make profit but if I could make $100 or $200 a year it would already be that.

Electricity where I live is about 0.15€/kWh and I plan to buy this :

- Zotac GTX1050TI-4GO (but if it worth it mining-wise I could change it for GTX1060 as I know it's better)
- EVGA G2 650W
- Z370 or H370 mother board
- i5-8600k (maybe I will change it for i3 or i5 non-K)
- 8 or 16GB DDR4

So I know this is not a good configuration for mining but I'd like to know if mining would be profitable (i.e. will I spend more money on electricity than I earn? And is mining going to alter significantly my computer?).

Thank you for your help!

PS: once again I don't aim to make profit, I just wonder if I could pay off some of the money I spent on my computer.
PPS: If you think it's possible but with another configuration I'm open to suggestions (e.g. by adding 3 graphic cards).
Velkro
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 1014

View Profile
May 12, 2018, 11:40:27 AM

I'm currently buying components for my next computer and I was wondering if mining would allow me to amortize my computer?

I don't think so. You don't even have GTX 1080 ti, but low budget version of it.
Just enjoy your new rig and if you really insist on mining all you can do is to mine altcoins with graphic card. Maybe there will be little profit.
Youdo (OP)

Activity: 2

View Profile
May 12, 2018, 11:43:20 AM

Yes I didn't plan to mine bitcoins but altcoins. So how much do you think I could earn on altcoins?
TryNinja
Legendary

Activity: 2842
Merit: 7040

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile WWW
May 12, 2018, 04:10:10 PM

Yes I didn't plan to mine bitcoins but altcoins. So how much do you think I could earn on altcoins?
You can always calculate your estimate earnings with a tool like this one to see if it's worth: https://www.nicehash.com/profitability-calculator

E.g: If I had your GPU (1050ti), I would only earn ~0.00089BTC or $7.49 per month (already taking the energy cost in my country).

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
mithrim

Activity: 434
Merit: 436

View Profile
May 12, 2018, 05:25:34 PM

Hello everyone,

I know it's unrealistic to make profit but if I could make $100 or $200 a year it would already be that.

Electricity where I live is about 0.15€/kWh and I plan to buy this :

- Zotac GTX1050TI-4GO (but if it worth it mining-wise I could change it for GTX1060 as I know it's better)
- EVGA G2 650W
- Z370 or H370 mother board
- i5-8600k (maybe I will change it for i3 or i5 non-K)
- 8 or 16GB DDR4

So I know this is not a good configuration for mining but I'd like to know if mining would be profitable (i.e. will I spend more money on electricity than I earn? And is mining going to alter significantly my computer?).

Thank you for your help!

PS: once again I don't aim to make profit, I just wonder if I could pay off some of the money I spent on my computer.
PPS: If you think it's possible but with another configuration I'm open to suggestions (e.g. by adding 3 graphic cards).

There are several calculators so you can easily calculate your gains and your breakeven.
Have a look for yourself Smiley e.g here:
- https://www.coinwarz.com/calculators/ethereum-mining-calculator
- https://crypt0.zone/calculator
As I said, there are a lot of sites where you can check it. A good rule of thumb is that if you don't have a dedicated mining rig (not necessarily an ASIC) you won't break even, at least not in a reasonable time.
mk4
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 3838

Paldo.io 🤖

View Profile
May 12, 2018, 05:27:59 PM

If you're planning on doing mining to pay off the costs of your whole rig, then personally I'd rather just get a job. Mining is just going to wear out and degrade your computer faster. Though it completely depends on what coin your planning on mining. Personally though? I'd rather do something else to make back the money than to do mining.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
darksquall22

Activity: 24

View Profile
May 12, 2018, 05:41:26 PM

If you're planning on doing mining to pay off the costs of your whole rig, then personally I'd rather just get a job. Mining is just going to wear out and degrade your computer faster. Though it completely depends on what coin your planning on mining. Personally though? I'd rather do something else to make back the money than to do mining.

I have to agree. You'd end up having to replace your graphics card before you have it paid off I think. Also, at least where I live, the electricity is more than I would get mining.
Your Point Is Invalid

Activity: 756
Merit: 510

Dear me, I think I'm becoming a god

View Profile WWW
May 12, 2018, 06:12:33 PM

You wont be paying off your computer using this, the hardware will most likely fail before you've made any profit. However, if you're still up for it then you can try mining using Minergate, its a software that I used a few years ago to mine some alts on an old computer that I wasn't using. look it up here on the forum or google it.

abanansah

Activity: 328
Merit: 10

www.daxico.com

View Profile
May 12, 2018, 06:44:02 PM

Why don't you invest in the money you are using to buy components to buy an altcoins like Ether or Waves, keep it for sometime and you will be rewarded when the price increases. It is far better than mining which seems hard these days.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: