Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 06:30:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ripple as a GETS system  (Read 444 times)
Red (OP)

Activity: 210
Merit: 111

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 07:59:57 PM
Last edit: April 24, 2013, 08:44:42 PM by Red

I'd like to test out ripple just for the hell of it. If you are wondering why...

Way back in 2010 I proposed that BitCoin's intention was to be a Global kind of LETS system.

There has been much discussion on this site about how best to describe bitcoin to the uninitiated. Some people, favor currency metaphors, others alude to commodity metaphors. Others caution either of these as dangerous taunts to authority.

I posted the following in another thread and there was a suggestion that I write an extended article about my simile. It seems likely that my suggestion is as polarizing as any other. So to avoid any unnecessary aggravation, I'm soliciting comments in advance.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

------
I'd like to submit that I think the most apt description of bitcoin is that it is most like a Global Exchange Trading System (GETS) which is a variation on the LETS concept that isn't for hippies.

Descriptively it differs because it's community is loosely knit and global rather than an intertwined small-town. As such, there can be no commonly trusted party to operate and monitor the system, so that function is trusted to redundancy and mathematics. (block list)

LETS communities can rely on "local knowledge" of peoples historical behavior and intentions. As such it is perfectly reasonable for them to advance credit to people (negative balances) in certain situations. In a GETS community advanced knowledge of all parties and intentions is not practical or even preferred. As such, GETS operates on a zero credit policy. (no negative balances)

Also, since GETS trade globally, there is no "national currency" that can be used for equivalence. As such, GETS defines it's own unit for accounting purposes. Since this currency must necessarily vary against some national currencies, the LETS strict "no interest" principle cannot be preserved.

----
I think if people understood LETS they would intuitively understand GETS. The rest of the bitcoin details are just one possible GETS monetary policy.

Now, Ripple is proposing itself to be THE global exchange trading system. I think that has significant consequences for BitCoin.

So just to keep an Eye on the competitors, I'd like to push some ripple back and forth.

If anyone could send me some ripple, I promise to send it right back.
I've got a lot of posts on this site. Nobody has called me a scammer yet!

Thanks a lot for the help
Red

rHUipvsbBKagmU5qxFYCVfRoHKkBaYztm2

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
uk1
Copper Member

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2013, 08:05:54 PM

here
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=145506.0;topicseen

Red (OP)

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 08:09:31 PM

Yeah, I tried that first but they are not responding quickly.

If I wanted to test it tomorrow, I'd have asked tomorrow! ;-)
Red (OP)

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 08:49:31 PM

OK, so begging doesn't go over well. I updated the original post to expand on my intentions.

I propose that left unchecked, Ripple has the potential crash the BitCoin market. Anyone want to argue about it. Those are really smart guys FFS!
Peter Lambert

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 08:54:06 PM

OK, so begging doesn't go over well. I updated the original post to expand on my intentions.

I propose that left unchecked, Ripple has the potential crash the BitCoin market. Anyone want to argue about it. Those are really smart guys FFS!

I think ripple will actually increase the bitcoin market. They are complimentary, Ripple does not fill the same niche as bitcoin, but it does allow things like instant transactions and community credit creation.

Use CoinBR to trade bitcoin stocks: CoinBR.com

The best place for betting with bitcoin: BitBet.us
Red (OP)

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 09:21:59 PM

I think ripple will actually increase the bitcoin market. They are complimentary, Ripple does not fill the same niche as bitcoin, but it does allow things like instant transactions and community credit creation.

I think you are right about Ripple's niche. "Community credit creation" seems to imply that you think my LETS analogy is appropriate. That pretty much makes Ripple the LETS clearing house right? LETS by design is a pure facilitator of exchange. Storing personal wealth inside a LETS system is actively discouraged. The same will become true for Ripple as well.

So that relegates BitCoin's primary function to storing personal wealth...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: