Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 04:20:58 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Searches for 'bitcoin' are being blocked in China on Google  (Read 2689 times)
dancupid (OP)

Activity: 955
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 14, 2011, 04:26:16 PM

I can get a set of search links but if I click any of them I get a timed out page. I can only continue if I use an international VPN (I'm in Shanghai).
Bizarrely the Chinese for bitcoin (比特币)seems to create no problems and is actively being traded on taobao and on the Chinese exchanges.

http://s8.taobao.com/search?q=bitcoin&commend=all&ssid=s5-e&pid=mm_14507416_2297358_8935934

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
ctoon6

Activity: 350
Merit: 251

View Profile
August 14, 2011, 04:28:20 PM

1. vpn/proxy to us
2. profit?

dancupid (OP)

View Profile
August 14, 2011, 05:24:21 PM

1. vpn/proxy to us
2. profit?

1. to UK
2. eh?
ctoon6

Activity: 350

View Profile
August 14, 2011, 05:26:59 PM

1. vpn/proxy to us
2. profit?

1. to UK
2. eh?

the only advantage is latency and being able to use services like the bbc iplayer(or whatever it is)

but really it does not matter much, so probably what you get cheapest is best.

dancupid (OP)

View Profile
August 14, 2011, 05:31:00 PM

1. vpn/proxy to us
2. profit?

1. to UK
2. eh?

the only advantage is latency and being able to use services like the bbc iplayer(or whatever it is)

but really it does not matter much, so probably what you get cheapest is best.

I can also type facebook, twitter and youtube (oh and bitcoin)
TraderTimm
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121

View Profile
August 14, 2011, 09:47:55 PM

Shine an IR laser modulated to carry a TOR exit node to a towerblock from Hong Kong to Shenzen and beyond? There's got to be clever ways to circumvent the "Great Firewall" besides VPN. Although a laser would be subject to signal degradation based on distance and weather conditions, it would be pretty hard to detect right off.

fortitudinem multis - catenum regit omnia
nhodges

Activity: 322

View Profile
August 14, 2011, 09:57:16 PM

I can get a set of search links but if I click any of them I get a timed out page. I can only continue if I use an international VPN (I'm in Shanghai).
Bizarrely the Chinese for bitcoin (比特币)seems to create no problems and is actively being traded on taobao and on the Chinese exchanges.

http://s8.taobao.com/search?q=bitcoin&commend=all&ssid=s5-e&pid=mm_14507416_2297358_8935934

Are you using Freenet to bypass the GFW?

jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
August 14, 2011, 10:00:48 PM

Roll Eyes

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
jago25_98

Activity: 900
Merit: 1000

Crypto Geek

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2011, 10:01:51 PM

Is there anything we can do to help? Can you show us a typical result of what happens, perhaps a screenshot? ...to help me think of ways round it

Bitcoiner since the early days. Crypto YouTube Channel: Trading Nomads | Analyst | News Reporter | Bitcoin Hodler | Support Freedom of Speech!
dancupid (OP)

View Profile
August 18, 2011, 03:47:41 PM

I've played with it for the last couple of days and currently is only a search on 'last 24 hours' that is being blocked (in fact all searches for recent time periods are being blocked for any search). It looks like the Chinese authorities are more interested in controlling changing information rather than existing information.
'Bitcoin' is still working as a general search
xali

Activity: 163
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 18, 2011, 03:54:11 PM

HAHAHAHA that's hilarious. so does then the chinese government already know about bitcoin? and their already making a subtle stance against it?!?!? holy crap this is awesome there are so many implications someone tell a credible news source to make an article out of this and blow it out of proportion!!!

hey anything new and bitcoin related can be used to spread awareness and then raise google trends and then raise the price no?

someone else had been posting on my account for over a year; Every post from January 10 2017 to June 18 2018 is NOT ME
Whoever this person was that got access to my account, felt the need to shill something called "bidium" in my signature
very surreal. is this normal? the internet is full of crooks... watch out
kokojie
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1003

View Profile
August 18, 2011, 03:57:56 PM

Is there anything we can do to help? Can you show us a typical result of what happens, perhaps a screenshot? ...to help me think of ways round it

Chinese netizens that are interested in the internet outside of China, are already very good at climbing out the Great Firewall. Most of the Chinese netizens do not care about GFW, because they do not read English, so the vast majority of the sites that matter to them are inside the GFW.

btc: 15sFnThw58hiGHYXyUAasgfauifTEB1ZF6
dancupid (OP)

View Profile
August 18, 2011, 04:38:08 PM

Shine an IR laser modulated to carry a TOR exit node to a towerblock from Hong Kong to Shenzen and beyond? There's got to be clever ways to circumvent the "Great Firewall" besides VPN. Although a laser would be subject to signal degradation based on distance and weather conditions, it would be pretty hard to detect right off.

VPN is easier though (£5 per month)
Steve

Activity: 868
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2011, 04:44:44 PM

HAHAHAHA that's hilarious. so does then the chinese government already know about bitcoin? and their already making a subtle stance against it?!?!? holy crap this is awesome there are so many implications someone tell a credible news source to make an article out of this and blow it out of proportion!!!

hey anything new and bitcoin related can be used to spread awareness and then raise google trends and then raise the price no?

Yes, this would be a great story...make it well publicized that China is once again violating basic human rights and restricting free speech by censoring bitcoin.  Imagine then what the story will be when/if any western country tries to do the thing.  Wink

(gasteve on IRC) Does your website accept cash? https://bitpay.com
Mousepotato

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

Seal Cub Clubbing Club

View Profile
August 18, 2011, 04:45:22 PM

Roll Eyes

TRY TO CALL OUT SOMEONE FOR A TYPO

ITS ACTUALLY SPELLED CORRECTLY

Mousepotato
dancupid (OP)

View Profile
August 18, 2011, 05:00:36 PM

Roll Eyes

Eye can sea witch word I type rong because I have a spell chequer (since 1999 and beyonce)
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2011, 05:24:30 PM

Roll Eyes

Eye can sea witch word I type rong because I have a spell chequer (since 1999 and beyonce)

Doubly Smoothe!
Kyt Dotson

Activity: 105
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2011, 05:46:37 PM

Chinese netizens that are interested in the internet outside of China, are already very good at climbing out the Great Firewall. Most of the Chinese netizens do not care about GFW, because they do not read English, so the vast majority of the sites that matter to them are inside the GFW.

Yeah, I've long thought about the better-mice principle coming out of having built a standard mousetrap (i.e. make a Great Firewall and the best thinkers will overcome it and still do their thing.)

Anyone out there know if whatever version of China's Ministry of Culture (I'm not familiar with the proper agency name) has had anything to say about bitcoins recently?  Huh

SiliconANGLE: Bitcoin Weekly (My weekly column)
Read Black Hat Magick - not your ordinary detective agency - geeky fiction
BTC: 13MPMB6wU9j9RcqFRsubtngmtmvh3guZGp
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
August 18, 2011, 05:53:59 PM

Roll Eyes

Do you have problems? You should smoke something bro

I was just meaning that it's not really bizarre

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
dancupid (OP)

View Profile
August 18, 2011, 06:03:59 PM

Yeah, I've long thought about the better-mice principle coming out of having built a standard mousetrap (i.e. make a Great Firewall and the best thinkers will overcome it and still do their thing.)

Anyone out there know if whatever version of China's Ministry of Culture (I'm not familiar with the proper agency name) has had anything to say about bitcoins recently?  Huh

There was a recent announcement about using virtual currencies to purchase tangible items - though the Chinese people tend to ignore any government announcement and just immediately take advantage of any obvious loop hole (ie just send someone cash for their virtual currency) - most people in China don't even pay tax becasue there are so many loopholes in the system. The irony is that if you don't piss off the politicians by doing something political, the Chinese are the economically freest people in the world (I know people in China who literally own a mountain, and they've never paid a penny of tax on their income).
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: