Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 02:59:15 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I created MyAltCoins to track all your cryptocurrency assets  (Read 12317 times)
nommot

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 06:30:08 PM

Hm, I think I got it running now. Allthrough the amounts are incorrect. For example it shows CacheCoin which I don't own anymore since 2-3 weeks.

Is it safe to provide these API keys? What can the developer of this do with it?

The Cryptsy API is generally used to grab data from the markets, or from your personal account. This data is in the JSON format, and should be parsed using a script, so it's not really meant to be human readable just by pasting the URL in a browser.

It is not safe to leave your API keys in anyone else's hands for very long. A developer can use these keys to make orders, cancel orders, and even withdrawal coins to pre-approved addresses. So in theory, your coins could be maliciously stolen/traded if you have any pre-approved coin addresses, or by trading all the coins for cheap prices in small markets where the thief has placed coordinating orders on another account.

Personally, I do not think this developer would do such a thing. But, you should assume that this site will hacked eventually, and when it does, expect everything I explained above to happen.

Here's an easy solution to prevent this from happening while still using this useful site: Do not leave your Cryptsy API enabled when you aren't using it. I enable mine from the Cryptsy>Settings whenever I am using the Import function on MyAltCoins, and then I disable it once I'm done. If you feel like taking an extra precaution, generate a new API key after every time you use your keys on any site.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Don007
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1007

Live like there is no tomorrow!

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 06:37:18 PM

Hm, I think I got it running now. Allthrough the amounts are incorrect. For example it shows CacheCoin which I don't own anymore since 2-3 weeks.

Is it safe to provide these API keys? What can the developer of this do with it?

The Cryptsy API is generally used to grab data from the markets, or from your personal account. This data is in the JSON format, and should be parsed using a script, so it's not really meant to be human readable just by pasting the URL in a browser.

It is not safe to leave your API keys in anyone else's hands for very long. A developer can use these keys to make orders, cancel orders, and even withdrawal coins to pre-approved addresses. So in theory, your coins could be maliciously stolen/traded if you have any pre-approved coin addresses, or by trading all the coins for cheap prices in small markets where the thief has placed coordinating orders on another account.

Personally, I do not think this developer would do such a thing. But, you should assume that this site will hacked eventually, and when it does, expect everything I explained above to happen.

Here's an easy solution to prevent this from happening while still using this useful site: Do not leave your Cryptsy API enabled when you aren't using it. I enable mine from the Cryptsy>Settings whenever I am using the Import function on MyAltCoins, and then I disable it once I'm done. If you feel like taking an extra precaution, generate a new API key after every time you use your keys on any site.

Can anyone confirm this? I've changed my API keys now. Only the iOS app 'Coin Ticker' has it now.

But, if a developer really can make trades with it, I might disable using API's.

{Curently quite inactive as I'm really busy in my private life. I will get back soon!}

-> Your line here during my inactivity? Feel free to PM <-
TRiLiXi

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 24, 2014, 08:02:33 AM

This is great!  Could you add Pandacoin (PND)?  It's on the LTC market at Mintpal.
There are 3 Pandacoins, but this one (PND) is currently the best performing.  Ranked #80 on coinmarketcap.com

Thanks!
lucacri (OP)

Activity: 73
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2014, 02:23:29 PM

Don007, nommot is right about the security of the Api Keys. I leave mine on MyAltCoins since i trust the security of the servers. Many people trust me with their keys, and as i said multiple times, I will never use their api keys for personal gain. My name is easy to find from my username, and I stand behind MyAltCoins.

Of course I totally agree (and encourage) being a bit paranoid about your crypto assets.

TRiLiXi: suggest the coin with this url: https://myaltcoins.com/suggest

NEW FEATURE: You can now export your transactions to Excel!

MyAltCoins.com : keep track of your altcoins
Don007
Legendary

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 04:39:32 PM

Alright, thanks for the (late) reply.

I didn't knew what people can do with API keys.. I'm going to be more defensive with those keys from now on (and removed the old ones). Thanks!

{Curently quite inactive as I'm really busy in my private life. I will get back soon!}

lucacri (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2014, 07:15:53 PM

No problem! We've all heard a lot of bad tales recently, your stance is more than justified.

I keep my api keys on the site because i trust it, but i totally understand if you don't

lucacri (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 29, 2014, 01:45:34 AM

New feature! Import your transactions from Kraken via Api!

Don007
Legendary

View Profile
June 01, 2014, 08:20:16 PM

New feature! Import your transactions from Kraken via Api!

Thanks for the heads up!

I'm also using the app "Coin Ticker" for iOS (iPhone), which is doing the same as MyAltCoins. It works really well!

lucacri (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2014, 01:15:49 AM

That's a nice app!

I added the import from LocalDogecoins

Its About Sharing
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1000

Antifragile

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 01:06:07 PM

Any plans for adding Counterparty (XCP)?

Great site as usual,
IAS

BTC = Black Swan.
BTC = Antifragile - "Some things benefit from shocks; they thrive and grow when exposed to volatility, randomness, disorder, and stressors and love adventure, risk, and uncertainty. Robust is not the opposite of fragile.
stoner19

Activity: 752
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 05:04:37 AM

this is awesome! Donations definitely headed your direction. Can you tell us what your plans are to add other exchanges? Poloniex, Mintpal, Bleutrade, McxNOW...

EDIT: also locallitecoins

Thanks!!
lucacri (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2014, 04:49:52 PM

Unfortunately, Mintpal has no private api yet (it's in beta for now), and poloniex doesn't offer an api call to get all your orders, but instead they require you to make a request per each pair of currencies (so, for now, something like 50+ requests to see all your orders).
I'll find out about the other exchanges ;-)

Its About Sharing
Legendary

Antifragile

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 08:53:53 PM

Don007, nommot is right about the security of the Api Keys. I leave mine on MyAltCoins since i trust the security of the servers. Many people trust me with their keys, and as i said multiple times, I will never use their api keys for personal gain. My name is easy to find from my username, and I stand behind MyAltCoins.

Of course I totally agree (and encourage) being a bit paranoid about your crypto assets.

TRiLiXi: suggest the coin with this url: https://myaltcoins.com/suggest

So cool, helps on taxes possibly!

BTC = Black Swan.
BTC = Antifragile - "Some things benefit from shocks; they thrive and grow when exposed to volatility, randomness, disorder, and stressors and love adventure, risk, and uncertainty. Robust is not the opposite of fragile.
lucacri (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2014, 01:01:31 AM

That's the plan Smiley

Its About Sharing
Legendary

Antifragile

View Profile
June 16, 2014, 07:28:18 AM

That's the plan Smiley

I imagine that someday tax agencies are also going to go after crypto to crypto trades in addition to the current USD involved ones.
I imagine it would be easy to export the USD only trades via a checkbox or the like?

Thanks for the great service, my plan is to make a donation every year.
Best,
IAS

BTC = Black Swan.
lucacri (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2014, 10:16:36 PM

The beauty of the excel file is that you can just filter by currency/date etc. Or am I not understanding the issue fully?

Again, thank you for the donations, they are definitely welcome (and needed)

Its About Sharing
Legendary

Antifragile

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 08:15:40 AM

The beauty of the excel file is that you can just filter by currency/date etc. Or am I not understanding the issue fully?

Again, thank you for the donations, they are definitely welcome (and needed)

True, you could "filter" at either end.
I think it is just easier to do it at your end. (But more work for you initially).
Don't mean that sarcastically - I very much appreciate your work.

BTC = Black Swan.
lucacri (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2014, 02:48:16 AM

Little bump for the new users Smiley

surfer43

Activity: 560
Merit: 250

"Trading Platform of The Future!"

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 09:32:37 PM

Hey, you should merge the old Monero ticker, MRO, to the new one, XMR. Pretty confusing to have 2 Moneros. Cheesy

Great site!
nest

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 03:31:52 PM

Nestcoin for sure.

NEXT THING IS NEST
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: