Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 12:02:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin-Tools: Live Linux Distro  (Read 980 times)
mikeg (OP)

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 05:37:01 AM

This is a Live Linux ISO (bootable from USB Stick or CD-Rom) which provides a simple, console interface for generating secure, Bitcoin paper wallets in an off-line environment. Deterministic keys are generated utilizing libbitcoin and sx. This is a minimalist Debian distribution with all networking code removed. An alpha version of the .iso can be downloaded from: (bitcoin-tools.iso 338.0 MB md5sum 5d6d3f663a459820268803f63f55bea9) https://mega.co.nz/#!VMtizKiS!fb94WEVx3eXkYvfAiWGUUmCzRfMI04dBwv16rMO9LtM

https://github.com/gehlm/paper-btc
http://imgur.com/a/J7rES#0

Looking for feedback and some help building scripts to automate the distribution build. Until you can build it yourself, you shouldn't trust it.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
takagari
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 02:57:15 PM

I like it, the idea is what I've wanted But few things.

First, I would need this checked by other's before I or anyone is likely to use it. Not saying we don't trust you, just the human race as a whole Smiley

Second, If you could implement bitcoinpaperwallet.com as an offline file and printer support. Printing a pretty paper wallet from a live CD boot would be great. Add in armory so people can print the M of N etc. would be even better.

I'm unsure how this all works honestly, I would think a generated wallet need's to be online, what would stop this offline wallet from generating the same wallets etc? I guess that's where I'm a bit confused. Do I need to be online at ANY point after this is running? or completely self contained.

Thanks for the work!
bitsta

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

r00t-dev

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 04:37:42 PM

I like it, the idea is what I've wanted But few things.

First, I would need this checked by other's before I or anyone is likely to use it. Not saying we don't trust you, just the human race as a whole Smiley

Second, If you could implement bitcoinpaperwallet.com as an offline file and printer support. Printing a pretty paper wallet from a live CD boot would be great. Add in armory so people can print the M of N etc. would be even better.

I'm unsure how this all works honestly, I would think a generated wallet need's to be online, what would stop this offline wallet from generating the same wallets etc? I guess that's where I'm a bit confused. Do I need to be online at ANY point after this is running? or completely self contained.

Thanks for the work!

i also like the idea of an livedistro with deactivated network support for BTC or in general for all cryptcoin purposes.

if you don't trust thrid partie apps/imgs (like every healt mind should..)you could also put an virtual machine on your running OS and remove network-ability. then just put a bitcoind or just vanitygen on your system and voila!

also a generated wallet never needs to be online (except for syncing/transactions from wallet, etc...). Your publickey wouldn't be generated a second time. that would be mathematically (practicaly) not possible because of the huge amount of possibilities. every generated addr. is unique.

kind regards
bitsta
mikeg (OP)

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 06:50:39 PM

First, I would need this checked by other's before I or anyone is likely to use it. Not saying we don't trust you, just the human race as a whole
Agreed. I'm going to build scripts so anyone can generate the "same" distro .iso file in a VirtualBox VM.

Second, If you could implement bitcoinpaperwallet.com as an offline file and printer support. Printing a pretty paper wallet from a live CD boot would be great.
Honestly, I don't trust computer random number generators like those used by javascript apps which is why I've implemented a physical dice rolling, seed generator. Also, printers have memory which can be exploited. I've chosen the more traditional, pen and paper method.
takagari
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 07:05:35 PM

Well that's an option for the user to decide, not all printer's have memories. I'd prefer to print a wallet. And I know my business partner's do as well. Along with the tamper sticker's. That site is great for printing and can be run offline.

Printing would be a deal breaker for me.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: