Bitcoin Forum
July 04, 2024, 08:00:54 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: My Wallet got hacked and the hacker paid huge transaction fees to take the money  (Read 5086 times)
Altoidnerd

Activity: 406
Merit: 251

http://altoidnerd.com

View Profile WWW
December 15, 2013, 07:03:43 PM

if your funds were stolen from multibit it has nothing to do with multibit.
It means your computer is compromised. Using qt OR blockchain.info
on the same computer will make you lose more money.

But my computer was not even on.

What if the hacker had access to the wallet backup and the password? It wouldn't need my computer that way, right?

Nothing has to be running for someone to initiate a transfer of your funds if they have your sensitive information. 

Do you even mine?
http://altoidnerd.com 
12gKRdrz7yy7erg5apUvSRGemypTUvBRuJ
gamybtc

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 07:18:28 PM

You are wrong, Hacker did not paid huge fees.

check this out :

Why would he pay high fee?

BTC : 1fDTCkVcJ7SaVnoFjA5U1xfHQVfv1BWCb
Forexperiments

Activity: 259
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
December 15, 2013, 07:48:48 PM

That's so bad  Sad
How could the attacker hack a multibit wallet?
A custom trojan?

Magliette ed adesivi Bitcoin e criptovalute, spedizione gratuita in Italia Grin
jbssm (OP)

Activity: 71

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 07:54:48 PM

You are wrong, Hacker did not paid huge fees.

check this out :

Why would he pay high fee?

Hi, I know that now, it's just that Multibit gave some 3.4 BTC fees like the screenshot I posted, but that part must have been some mistake.

Donations to the helping fund for victims of alien abduction and zombie contagion are welcome: 13U16ay4Tyvr9ZkQ3wqtReuZGaPE27wt4e
jbssm (OP)

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 07:57:26 PM

That's so bad  Sad
A custom trojan?

Well, I know the hacker had access to my email (I saw a login using the security questions in the GMAIL logs, it comes from some guy in Austria, but I think he was just running a TOR node).
Now, since the wallet backup was sent by email to another person, I think that's how he got it.

I don't know how he got the password tough... I have some suspicion it has something to do with Dropbox, but I can't find any logs in Dropbox to confirm this.

I moved the wallet to Blockchain.info, it's not that I trust my gmail account (and dropbox) is completely safe now but I guess it must be impossible to enter the account after I put up the google key two factor authentication.

Donations to the helping fund for victims of alien abduction and zombie contagion are welcome: 13U16ay4Tyvr9ZkQ3wqtReuZGaPE27wt4e
paul44

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 08:18:37 PM

I would work on the same principle as with anything related to security. Once compromised, always compromised. Backup the essentials and start afresh, its most likely the only option after any infiltration.
cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4088
Merit: 1304

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 08:21:06 PM

That's so bad  Sad
A custom trojan?

Well, I know the hacker had access to my email (I saw a login using the security questions in the GMAIL logs, it comes from some guy in Austria, but I think he was just running a TOR node).
Now, since the wallet backup was sent by email to another person, I think that's how he got it.

I don't know how he got the password tough... I have some suspicion it has something to do with Dropbox, but I can't find any logs in Dropbox to confirm this.

I moved the wallet to Blockchain.info, it's not that I trust my gmail account (and dropbox) is completely safe now but I guess it must be impossible to enter the account after I put up the google key two factor authentication.

If your computer was compromised, be sure to change your password at blockchain.info from a different machine or be absolutely sure that it is clean now.
paul44

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 09:16:18 PM

When it comes to things I fell I simply cannot lose, I am on suspicion alert 101%. Online backups from other parties are not trustworthy at all, if they have access (which could be a possibility) then there would be a lucrative market selling information. Trust nothing or no-one.
Rannasha

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 09:22:11 PM

What if the hacker had access to the wallet backup and the password? It wouldn't need my computer that way, right?
One way or the other, the attacker got access to your wallet file and the password. Whether that's from your backup or from your main machine is unknown. Note that if your computer has been compromised, the attacker could empty the wallet at any time, even when your computer is off.
paul44

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 09:32:36 PM

and that's the most important point I feel. You have to be paranoid when it comes to anything money related. Not even directly but anything which could affect YOUR money. I am paranoid but I feel totally justified in being so.
Abdussamad
Legendary

Activity: 3640
Merit: 1571

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 10:40:30 PM

blockchain.info is even worse than a desktop client! You computer has been compromized. Moving to blockchain.info won't make things any better.

What you should do is backup essential documents, delete everything on your computer, reinstall the operating system, install anti-malware software like anti-virus apps and scan and restore the backups. Then change your passwords everywhere including your email accounts. As far as bitcoins go you should move all the coins to a new wallet. Make sure you set a password on your new wallet.
paul44

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 10:42:48 PM

This is exactly the sort of advice I was expecting and for that I thank you. Once something is compromised then its gone, out of the door, bolted!

Its how you move on from there that is important. I hope you can win!
IsaacGoldbourne

Activity: 112

Looking to start various enterprises

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 11:13:04 PM

Not he wouldn't, just to add I use armory for any large amount of coin. Electrum offline storage also works well.

Vote for me for CEO/CNO of MemoryCoin!
CEO: MVTEceoa86dYRsxc2rWCexBMjJmaawMkHZ
CNO: MVTEcno2tbsJWj7AQEyEjgk72j94hbPHFm
jbssm (OP)

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 11:16:40 PM

Ok, thank you all for the support.

I already spent most of the day changing the most important passwords I have (email, dropbox, ebay, paypla, etc...).
I had installed Maverics (Mac OSX) about 1 month ago from scratch, but well, I guess it's time to be a bit paranoid so I'll install it again like you suggest.

About the lost bitcoins, perhaps it's a silly question, but do you think it's worth to make a complaint in the police? So far the hacker didn't move them from any of the two addresses where he sent them.

The IP address the hacker used was: 79.134.234.200
I can see this belongs to some guy in Austria, but like I said, I think he's just someone how runs a TOR server.

jbssm (OP)

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 11:18:58 PM

Not he wouldn't, just to add I use armory for any large amount of coin. Electrum offline storage also works well.

Ok, just one thing. Where do you keep the backups for this? I mean, I could make a linux installation in a USB pen and use it just for keeping the bitcoins. But I'm afraid that if something happened to that USB pen, my BTC would be lost forever that way.

paul44

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 11:20:27 PM

If it really is TOR then what is the point? It could be anyone and anywhere. Really sorry but its likely gone forever.
jbssm (OP)

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 11:24:25 PM

If it really is TOR then what is the point? It could be anyone and anywhere. Really sorry but its likely gone forever.
Yeah, I kind of accept that would be the outcome. But I still feel the right thing would be to tell the police about it... even if they do nothing about the stuff :/

GoodHosting

View Profile WWW
December 15, 2013, 11:25:41 PM

*.is is Iceland.

Code:
% Abuse contact for '79.134.224.0 - 79.134.255.255' is 'abuse@fink.org'

inetnum:        79.134.224.0 - 79.134.255.255
netname:        CH-GLOBAL-20071024
descr:          Backbone ehf
remarks:        icecell-net
org:            ORG-GNSA2-RIPE
admin-c:        AF15-RIPE
tech-c:         AF15-RIPE
tech-c:         ME2795-RIPE
mnt-by:         RIPE-NCC-HM-MNT
mnt-lower:      AF15-MNT
mnt-routes:     AF15-MNT
notify:         noc@backbone.is

Also it does appear to be a Tor node.

* Dns resolved 79.134.234.200 to masterchief2.tor.leo-unglaub.net
empoweoqwj

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 02:26:18 AM

I currently keep mine in a blockchain.info wallet as it was recommended to me a while back. I would certainly be interested to hear if there is something more desirable though.

Electrum. I could never recommend storing your bitcoins online, sorry.
blanc1664

Activity: 13

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 02:28:08 AM

If your system is compromised they may have a key logger and have captured logins,password, and everything else.

How is it that the transfer AND the fee went to the same wallet?  Don't fees go to miners?
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: