Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 05:26:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Consolidate coins to a single output  (Read 582 times)
TierNolan (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1083

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 11:31:02 AM

I have an address I have been using mining and it has lots of coins.

Once I spend any of the balance, I lose the protection of the RIPEMD-160 hash, since the public key is published.

Is there a way to consolidate all coins that were sent to an address to an unused address?

I realise that this incurs a tx fee, but it would probably end up cheaper than spending all the outputs individually.

I was thinking of using the sweep address function, but it seems to only be for user generated private keys.

1LxbG5cKXzTwZg9mjL3gaRE835uNQEteWF
deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1032

View Profile WWW
December 17, 2013, 12:52:12 PM

When you spend, add a second recipient to the transaction, a new address you just created, and send the balance of your wallet back to yourself.
Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 01:30:16 PM

I even remember a thread about adding a transaction that can be supplied by anyone (to enable colored coins, maybe after a certain amout of blocks have passed for the youngest input) that combines all TXOUTs in a single address but the resulting TXOUT would be ONLY spendable by the original private key.

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
gmaxwell
Legendary
expert

Activity: 4186
Merit: 8424

View Profile WWW
December 17, 2013, 06:20:00 PM

TierNolan, uh. Yes. Just do so.  Write a transaction that spends all those coins and send them to a new address.

Even if you need to pay to do so doing so can reduce your fees in the future, assuming txn fees tend to be larger in the future than now.

Your actual question? Just how to do it?  In bitcoin-qt (git) turn on coincontrol, select the subtree with those coins, create a txn for their complete value and select them as the source.  With Bitcoind listunspent 0 999999999 '["addresss"]'  and spend those coins using createraw. If we had an explicit sweep function in Bitcoin-qt it would be neat if it had an easy path to be used for this. But we don't currently. .... but the client tech support stuff is mostly in other forums.
TierNolan (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1083

View Profile
December 18, 2013, 12:56:42 AM

TierNolan, uh. Yes. Just do so.  Write a transaction that spends all those coins and send them to a new address.

Even if you need to pay to do so doing so can reduce your fees in the future, assuming txn fees tend to be larger in the future than now.

Your actual question?

Uh, right, I guess I was overthinking it.  I was trying to find a sweep button or something.

The coins are in an armory cold store wallet. 

So, copy new address to clipboard and then use that as the target address for a new (coin-controlled) transaction.

1LxbG5cKXzTwZg9mjL3gaRE835uNQEteWF
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: