Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 01:36:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bit Coin Vending Machine  (Read 6275 times)
ne1

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2011, 05:25:17 PM

totally blown away I was able to find this file this way, but here is the linux live kiosk I mentioned earlier.

http://www.findthatfile.com/search-519917-hISO/software-tools-download-weavefuture-internet-kiosk-browser-linux-live-cd-iso.htm

Maybe we can open the hood and see what we can use.

I have one of these.

http://www.weavefuture.com/coin_acceptor_ak5_coin_op_for_kiosk.htm

I know it's just for coins, but I'm pretty sure the protocol is the same as the bill acceptor.

I think this is a necessary evolution.

I'll start workin on it.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Smalleyster

I yam what I yam. - Popeye

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2011, 05:47:43 PM

totally blown away I was able to find this file this way, but here is the linux live kiosk I mentioned earlier.

http://www.findthatfile.com/search-519917-hISO/software-tools-download-weavefuture-internet-kiosk-browser-linux-live-cd-iso.htm

Maybe we can open the hood and see what we can use.

I have one of these.

http://www.weavefuture.com/coin_acceptor_ak5_coin_op_for_kiosk.htm

I know it's just for coins, but I'm pretty sure the protocol is the same as the bill acceptor.

I think this is a necessary evolution.

I'll start workin on it.

Very cool!

Feel like investing in a Miner?:
http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=30044.msg377773#msg377773
A soup to nuts newbee system for a secure, portable USB wallet (free instructions):
NoobHowTo: http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=27088.msg341387#msg341387
RandyFolds

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 31, 2011, 07:19:00 PM

...once again, relying on people to pay a premium to change their US dollars into bitcoin to spend them on something they could have paid for in US dollars. Hey, I am all for bitcoin, but this business model is fucking retarded.

You say you are all for bitcoin, but see no reason why people would spend bitcoins instead of dollars, or why they would use a bitcoin atm/kiosk.  Maybe they want to buy bitcoins and don't have a bank account to use with an exchange site, or don't have internet access or know how to use mtgox.  Maybe they want to buy something online with bitcoin they can't get locally with dollars.   Maybe they are migrant workers and need to send money back home to their country.  Maybe they obtained some cash they want to save but would prefer not to deposit at a bank.   I can think of many reasons for bitcoin kiosks, I love this idea.

You are delusional if you think there is any reason for the layman to use bitcoin at this stage of the game. Why pay a tax to deal in volatility? Even with an abundance of vendors dealing in bitcoin, why would you pay a two dollar (or any) service fee to change your perfectly good USD into BTC in order to buy that ice cream cone? For these to become a success, local currencies would have to crumble.

I personally think it would be immoral to encourage an impoverished migrant worker to stake their earnings on currency that might bottom out tomorrow. They work too hard for that kind of bullshit.

How about free will. You let people decide for them selves. I mean how moral was it to allow people to get on boats and cross the ocean in search of a better life. I suppose you should go tell Gavin he is a fucking retard for wasting 1000's of hours on writing software for a currency that could crash at any moment. How about paying a premium to avoid identity theft. How about people who want a few bitcoins for the novelty. Or people who want to buy bitcoins and use them specifically to support the community. Have you ever been to america we buy shit we don't need and over pay for it all the time.

A greater risk is accepting he status quo and being a risk averse pussy.

That coming from the relatively rich asshole with access to a computer and enough disposable income to give a flying fuck about bitcoin. Not everyone has thousands of dollars to gamble with. I indeed live in America, and I see my neighbors losing their houses and moving shit into an RV. I bet they are raging to get at that bitcoin vending machine so they can get some btc for...what exactly?

As far as the morality of seeking out a better life, I am sure glad my great grandparents made the trek, otherwise I'd be in norway listening to death metal and burning down historic churches with the other bored youth. I think they were glad too. It's hardly a basis for comparison.

I don't think novelty bitcoin can support a networked and maintained bitcoin atm. We are not talking about some low overhead machine that smashes pennies to have a picture of the golden gate bridge on them.

Once again, I am all for bitcoin, but it would help if the community was a bit more realistic about its implementation and adoption.
BitVapes

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

BitVapes.com

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2011, 08:08:22 PM

I am sure glad my great grandparents made the trek

perhaps your great grandchildren will surely be glad you helped pave the way for the switch from fiat debt-based currency to bitcoin.  Maybe they will be happy to have true individual monetary freedom. 

Buy Electronic Cigarettes with Bitcoin @ http://bitvapes.com
TraderTimm
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121

View Profile
July 31, 2011, 08:18:16 PM

You won't reach a lofty goal by aiming into the ground, I say aim as high as you can.

Ideas like these are inspiration to other efforts, and I believe in being cautiously optimistic. You can be killed by leaving your house and crossing the street, yet we accept that risk (and many others) and go on with our lives.

It comes down to how much effort we are willing to invest that will dictate whether bitcoin survives and flourishes. Not trying is simply a death sentence.

fortitudinem multis - catenum regit omnia
NF6X

Activity: 98

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2011, 08:50:01 PM

RandyFolds, If you think that it's a bad idea, then don't participate. Whether you choose to participate or not, skip the hostility. Calling the idea "fucking retarded" and calling other forum members "asshole" isn't helpful, even if it is true in your opinion.
RandyFolds

View Profile
July 31, 2011, 09:44:36 PM

You won't reach a lofty goal by aiming into the ground, I say aim as high as you can.

Ideas like these are inspiration to other efforts, and I believe in being cautiously optimistic. You can be killed by leaving your house and crossing the street, yet we accept that risk (and many others) and go on with our lives.

It comes down to how much effort we are willing to invest that will dictate whether bitcoin survives and flourishes. Not trying is simply a death sentence.

Anyone with the resources to implement this could benefit the community in an infinitely more productive manner by contributing to development, not some wonky re-make of the wheel.

I say if you just keep aiming higher, eventually you're pointing at the ground again.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2011, 10:28:19 PM

Twenty some years ago, I had a brilliant idea and shared it to only to have a RandyFold type guy shoot holes in. Shortly thereafter, my idea was manifested and...you know the rest of the story.

A year ago, I had a neighbor who lost his home shortly after his RV was repossessed--FIRST. My other neighbor was also in bad shape. Lucky for him he was able to get himself out of it. He never owned an RV or fancy new cars--only purchased used, quality rides.

Bitcoin: For Everyone but the RandyFold Types
Smalleyster

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2011, 10:35:28 PM

Twenty some years ago, I had a brilliant idea and shared it to only to have a RandyFold type guy shoot holes in. Shortly thereafter, my idea was manifested and...you know the rest of the story.

Bada-bing!

I have been shot down many times and then a few years later the same people I was shot down by are doing almost exactly what I proposed.

I'll bet RF is working on a kiosk and wants desperately to get it out before any one else. 8^)

A soup to nuts newbee system for a secure, portable USB wallet (free instructions):
RandyFolds

View Profile
August 01, 2011, 01:27:24 AM

Bada-bing!

I have been shot down many times and then a few years later the same people I was shot down by are doing almost exactly what I proposed.

I'll bet RF is working on a kiosk and wants desperately to get it out before any one else. 8^)

Well if you do your business anything like what you've done with tradehill, that is, airing things out on a public forum and making a bunch of busy people pretend they give a fuck about your $200 investment in bitcoin, than I am not at all surprised that someone stole your ideas. Private things should happen behind closed doors.

I will tell you that I am not interested in the least at throwing good money at a solution without a problem, and neither is anyone with the financial means to make this happen. Why doesn't the OP buy his kiosk and figure out where to put it and prove me wrong? I bet 100BTC (more than the cost of the kiosk) that it will fail to turn a profit in 6 months, which is a pretty fair timeframe to expect a return.

Being realistic is not being a naysayer or enemy of bitcoin. Everyone bitches about this troll's nest attitude of the average forum user and then attack irrelevant points and shout troll when someone chooses to look at things realistically.
Smalleyster

View Profile WWW
August 01, 2011, 01:43:30 AM

... it will fail to turn a profit in 6 months, which is a pretty fair timeframe to expect a return.

Solid proof you know very little about running an actul business.

RandyFolds

View Profile
August 01, 2011, 02:45:57 AM
Last edit: August 01, 2011, 02:57:34 AM by RandyFolds

... it will fail to turn a profit in 6 months, which is a pretty fair timeframe to expect a return.

And surprisingly enough, here I am, proprietor of my very own LLC, paying the bills and everything. You miss so much when you judge through the interlink.

None of my returns extend past 60 days. Obviously this isn't a valid business model for everything, that's why I tripled it for the bet. C'mon...the cost is only a thousand dollars, right? Thats only five hundred people using it, which is a little over two a day. Who wants to take my 100BTC if this is such a great idea?
Smalleyster

View Profile WWW
August 01, 2011, 03:38:30 AM

And surprisingly enough, here I am, proprietor of my very own LLC, paying the bills and everything. You miss so much when you judge through the interlink.

None of my returns extend past 60 days. Obviously this isn't a valid business model for everything, that's why I tripled it for the bet. C'mon...the cost is only a thousand dollars, right? Thats only five hundred people using it, which is a little over two a day. Who wants to take my 100BTC if this is such a great idea?

Yeah that's true, I forgot, you're a billionaire genius. Good day.

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
August 01, 2011, 03:40:56 AM
Last edit: August 01, 2011, 03:51:13 AM by Phinnaeus Gage

Bada-bing!

Well if you do your business anything like what you've done with tradehill, that is, airing things out on a public forum and making a bunch of busy people pretend they give a fuck about your $200 investment in bitcoin, than I am not at all surprised that someone stole your ideas. Private things should happen behind closed doors.

I will tell you that I am not interested in the least at throwing good money at a solution without a problem, and neither is anyone with the financial means to make this happen. Why doesn't the OP buy his kiosk and figure out where to put it and prove me wrong? I bet 100BTC (more than the cost of the kiosk) that it will fail to turn a profit in 6 months, which is a pretty fair timeframe to expect a return.

Being realistic is not being a naysayer or enemy of bitcoin. Everyone bitches about this troll's nest attitude of the average forum user and then attack irrelevant points and shout troll when someone chooses to look at things realistically.

"...throwing good money at a solution without a problem, and neither is anyone with the financial means to make this happen."

I always say the best way to succeed in a small business is to find/create a niche, then fill it, yourself. Here's a guy who did just that and, in your wildest dreams, if he told you what he planned on doing, you would've told him that it would fail within six months. No one in their right mine would go to a shop that sells only...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPbh6Ru7VVM (watch the whole video--many of his thoughts can easily be carried over to the Bitcoin phenomenon). You could say he threw good money at a solution for a problem the general public didn't know existed--until he built it. There are easily 10,000+ more examples of businesses that did the same thing.

As far as a kiosk for Bitcoin--I see it as a viable service. The OP put this idea out into the wild, a trial balloon, so to speak, to be kicked around a bit. Surely, not to be kicked to the curb by a runaway sock(head).

Bitcoin: For Ideas That Matter

ne1

View Profile WWW
August 01, 2011, 08:02:12 PM

Ok side note, so I watched the video, and thought wow that's pretty cool.  I want a soda.  And I don't even like soda.  So I checked out his website and was shocked to find out he's right down the street from my house.  2 minute drive.  So I went there and got some of the Curiosity Cola, a Vanilla soda and a sandwich.  The guy was there and is now one of may favorite people.  Get this, he goes to leave and get's into his car and ...wait for it.....it's a fucking Delorian. Anyway, if I could drive to my local hackerspace and buy or sell btc for cash via atm instead of any online exchange I would drive an hour each way in a heartbeat.  Ooh I just thought of something.  What if the atm could act as a mtgox/online exchange terminal.  You put in cash and name your price and btc are sent to you when the order is filled or you get your cash back by redeeming a voucher whenever you want minus fee.  Or the other way around, you send bitcoins and you come back and redeem them for cash when your order is filled.  Not difficult to do.  Any thoughts??? besides Randyfolds

RandyFolds

View Profile
August 01, 2011, 08:49:47 PM

Bada-bing!

"...throwing good money at a solution without a problem, and neither is anyone with the financial means to make this happen."

I always say the best way to succeed in a small business is to find/create a niche, then fill it, yourself. Here's a guy who did just that and, in your wildest dreams, if he told you what he planned on doing, you would've told him that it would fail within six months. No one in their right mine would go to a shop that sells only...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPbh6Ru7VVM (watch the whole video--many of his thoughts can easily be carried over to the Bitcoin phenomenon). You could say he threw good money at a solution for a problem the general public didn't know existed--until he built it. There are easily 10,000+ more examples of businesses that did the same thing.

As far as a kiosk for Bitcoin--I see it as a viable service. The OP put this idea out into the wild, a trial balloon, so to speak, to be kicked around a bit. Surely, not to be kicked to the curb by a runaway sock(head).

Bitcoin: For Ideas That Matter

This is fucking hilarious. I know this guy personally. His shop is three blocks from my house. You couldn't have picked a better niche market, plus they have delicious sandwiches. The owner used to be morbidly obese and got gastric bypass surgery.

BTW, his store has been there for years and years and has an international following. Good luck finding that with one bitcoin ATM.

ne1, apparently we're neighbors.
RandyFolds

View Profile
August 01, 2011, 08:55:52 PM

Bada-bing!

Randy Sure Ill put my money where my mouth is. Lets form a new LLC. Ill match your 100BTC as seed. See if anyone else is in. NF6X, Phinnaeus Gage, Smalleyster?

But I have some requirements.

1. (Who) Solid Linux Programmer that knows Bitcoin Json/RPC and can give us a perfect user front end.

2. (Where) We need the location identified and willing brick/mortar location.

I wasn't offering to fund it. I was offering to short the BTC ATM market. Very different.
ne1

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2011, 03:54:27 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqpSZDMu5jY

ysoliman

Activity: 85

View Profile
August 15, 2011, 04:21:56 PM

I can imagine an idea like this in the future, everyone walking up to machines and being dispensed Bitcoins.
Cool idea but how would it catch on in today's society?

Interesting to think about anyway  Grin
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: