Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 02:11:50 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin movie rental service?  (Read 1501 times)
logansryche (OP)

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 15, 2011, 03:35:28 PM

Anyone else think of this?
Was sitting at my fiance's mom's house watching a movie on Netflix and thought how cool it would be to start such a service.
It wouldn't be hard to do and there is a section the Copyright Act that protects renting the origional work...
Just putting my feelers out to see what everyone thought of such a service.

-Matt

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bananington

Activity: 1386
Merit: 340

View Profile
August 15, 2011, 05:32:10 PM

I'm sure people would pay for this service. You should do it. Tongue

▄▄███████████████████▄▄
▄██████████████████████▄
███████████▀▌▄▀██████████
███████▄▄███████▄▄███████
██████▄███▀▀██▀██████████
█████████▌█████████▌█████
██████████▄███▄███▀██████
████████████████▀▀███████
███████████▀▀▀███████████
█████████████████████████
▀█████▀▀████████████████▀
▀▀███████████████████▀▀
Peach
BTC bitcoin
Buy and Sell
Bitcoin P2P
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████████
██████▄
▄██
█████████████████▄
▄███████
██████████████▄
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
▀███████████████████████▀
▀█████████████████████▀
▀██████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀

▀▀▀▀███▀▀▀▀
Available in
EUROPE | AFRICA
LATIN AMERICA
▄▀▀▀

▀▄▄▄

███████▄█
███████▀
██▄▄▄▄▄░▄▄▄▄▄
████████████▀
▐███████████▌
▐███████████▌
████████████▄
██████████████
███▀███▀▀███▀
Download on the
App Store
▀▀▀▄

▄▄▄▀
▄▀▀▀

▀▄▄▄

▄██▄
██████▄
█████████▄
████████████▄
███████████████
████████████▀
█████████▀
██████▀
▀██▀
GET IT ON
Google Play
▀▀▀▄

▄▄▄▀
callmeivan

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 15, 2011, 06:45:16 PM

Are you talking about Video on Demand or shipping physical dvds?

VODS require contracts that you cannot obtain and the physical dvd shipping model is being dominated by netflix.

You see the problem?
mrbashfo

View Profile
August 15, 2011, 08:56:03 PM

sounds like a nice idea but I agree will it be physical dvd/blurays or just streaming?

Sold To
Kax0, gamekingx, maltaethiron, Cory, Morebitcoinsplease, TECSHARE, wildboy211, inlikeflynn, deslok, WiseOldOwl, and more

Bought From
tsvekric, wildboy211, shakaru
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
August 15, 2011, 09:14:25 PM

Are you talking about Video on Demand or shipping physical dvds?

VODS require contracts that you cannot obtain and the physical dvd shipping model is being dominated by netflix.

You see the problem?
I see this

Sorry, Netflix is not available in your country... yet

Grin

logansryche (OP)

View Profile
August 15, 2011, 09:56:41 PM

I was reading an article that explained how Netflix and later on Blockbuster Online got started and how they became popular real fast. I found it interesting that there is a section of the US Copyright law that would allow me to create such a service as long as I physically have the dvd and do not alter it in any way.

In reguards to the other questions, It would be Video on Demand and ran in a similar fashion how netflix is ran. The service would be fully bitcoin powered. I would of course have to come up with a system where you pay to acess the site to view the movies, probly like a monthly thing. I can host the files right on my current server, just need to fetch me another domain address.

If this becomes poular I see alot of things happening. The first would be the downfall of Red Box and other video rental stores(like Blockbuster). True, Netflix would become the direct competition. It would come down to renting in credit or renting in bitcoins lol.
Bananington

Activity: 1386
Merit: 340

View Profile
August 15, 2011, 10:02:02 PM

I was reading an article that explained how Netflix and later on Blockbuster Online got started and how they became popular real fast. I found it interesting that there is a section of the US Copyright law that would allow me to create such a service as long as I physically have the dvd and do not alter it in any way.

In reguards to the other questions, It would be Video on Demand and ran in a similar fashion how netflix is ran. The service would be fully bitcoin powered. I would of course have to come up with a system where you pay to acess the site to view the movies, probly like a monthly thing. I can host the files right on my current server, just need to fetch me another domain address.

If this becomes poular I see alot of things happening. The first would be the downfall of Red Box and other video rental stores(like Blockbuster). True, Netflix would become the direct competition. It would come down to renting in credit or renting in bitcoins lol.

DO IT. I support your decision. Although, I don't rent or buy movies. So sorry I can't be a customer.

▄▄███████████████████▄▄
▄██████████████████████▄
███████████▀▌▄▀██████████
███████▄▄███████▄▄███████
██████▄███▀▀██▀██████████
██████████▄███▄███▀██████
████████████████▀▀███████
███████████▀▀▀███████████
▀█████▀▀████████████████▀
▀▀███████████████████▀▀
Peach
BTC bitcoin
Buy and Sell
Bitcoin P2P
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████████
██████▄
▄██
█████████████████▄
▄███████
██████████████▄
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
▀███████████████████████▀
▀█████████████████████▀
▀██████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀

▀▀▀▀███▀▀▀▀
Available in
EUROPE | AFRICA
LATIN AMERICA
▄▀▀▀

▀▄▄▄

███████▄█
███████▀
██▄▄▄▄▄░▄▄▄▄▄
████████████▀
▐███████████▌
▐███████████▌
████████████▄
██████████████
███▀███▀▀███▀
Download on the
App Store
▀▀▀▄

▄▄▄▀
▄▀▀▀

▀▄▄▄

▄██▄
██████▄
█████████▄
████████████▄
███████████████
████████████▀
█████████▀
██████▀
▀██▀
GET IT ON
Google Play
▀▀▀▄

▄▄▄▀
TTBit
Legendary

Activity: 1136
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 15, 2011, 10:09:49 PM

Bitcoin decentralized movie rental. I want to be able to rent out the movies I own.

good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment
logansryche (OP)

View Profile
August 15, 2011, 11:14:18 PM

DO IT. I support your decision. Although, I don't rent or buy movies. So sorry I can't be a customer.

I plan on it, however I need to set some cash aside for a domain and to stock some dvds lol.
I plan to make the site better then Netflix(which is lacking alot of movies btw).

Quote from: TTBit
Bitcoin decentralized movie rental. I want to be able to rent out the movies I own.
I dunno what to say, start a rental service or donate to me to start a service?
callmeivan

View Profile
August 16, 2011, 12:39:15 AM

I found it interesting that there is a section of the US Copyright law that would allow me to create such a service as long as I physically have the dvd and do not alter it in any way.

Somebody already tried that, got sued and had to stop.  Roll Eyes

You seem to make it look like easy peesy herp derp omg lol rofl muahaha i am gonna be a media mogul superstar.  Grin There is also a difference between regular store purchased dvds (not for rent) and rental versions (much more expensive).

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/streaming/judge-halts-zediva-movie-streaming-24660
logansryche (OP)

View Profile
August 16, 2011, 12:53:51 AM

I found it interesting that there is a section of the US Copyright law that would allow me to create such a service as long as I physically have the dvd and do not alter it in any way.

You seem to make it look like easy peesy herp derp omg lol rofl muahaha i am gonna be a media mogul superstar.  Grin There is also a difference between regular store purchased dvds (not for rent) and rental versions (much more expensive).

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/streaming/judge-halts-zediva-movie-streaming-24660

I know, I read the report. It has been done before, just not with bitcoins.
I don't think I'd have a problem with it since the bitcoin community is small and I don't think anyone would rat me out but I went and applied for a license just in case.
callmeivan

View Profile
August 16, 2011, 01:01:22 AM

I know, I read the report. It has been done before, just not with bitcoins.
I don't think I'd have a problem with it since the bitcoin community is small and I don't think anyone would rat me out but I went and applied for a license just in case.

Applying for a license doesnt prevent you from getting sued. You dont seem to realise who you are up against, it is literally David against 10000000 Goliaths.

Best of luck  Cheesy
logansryche (OP)

View Profile
August 16, 2011, 01:25:32 AM

Applying for a license doesnt prevent you from getting sued. You dont seem to realise who you are up against, it is literally David against 10000000 Goliaths.

Best of luck  Cheesy

Being sued is just a test to see if you have the balls to stand up to them. That site went under because they thought they were untouchable, and when those studios came together to sue them jointly, they had no reserve. This is where having either starting backing, backing from profits, or really good investors comes in handy. They pay for all the fee's plus the initial tag value itself. I think in the bitcoin community I'll do just fine(especially since it's you know, bitcoin driven).
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
August 16, 2011, 09:32:51 AM

On a related note:
 - http://movies.witcoin.com/p/376/On-demand-movie-rip-and-upload

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

logansryche (OP)

View Profile
August 16, 2011, 10:35:46 AM

Hmmm... sounds like he's charging per movie where as I would charge monthly for a service to access the movies. Good link, thanks.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: