Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 05:56:46 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoins on Ebay and buying with paypal  (Read 2098 times)
BTCnewbie (OP)

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 16, 2011, 04:56:03 AM

I've seen many listings for bitcoins on ebay and they all accept paypal. Is this allowed?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280724928144&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Binford 6100

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

PGP OTC WOT: EB7FCE3D

View Profile
August 16, 2011, 05:25:29 AM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2555.msg101066#msg101066

probably not. accounts get frozen, auctions probably removed if reported
the link i posted is from a thread discussion from early may with lot of info
and quotes from terms of service and how it is violating them (ebay/paypal)

however i prefere the term "BTC digital cryptographic key rights" instead of e-currency
but paypal/ebay might see it the other way and block/cancel/chargeback everything related to BTC

You can't build a reputation on what you are going to do.
Binford 6100

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

PGP OTC WOT: EB7FCE3D

View Profile
August 16, 2011, 06:03:25 AM

.. only lost $100 made well north of $1000 as the fools on there were paying sometimes twice/three times the going rate.
hm, part of the chargebacks is probably due to the fact buyers realized you screwed them 2-3 times over the market value?
ok, majority were probably crooks and you had to work hard for the profit and helped a lot people to get hands on some bitcoins. i'd stay away : ))) and that's probably the reason why you made some bucks and i did not : )

You can't build a reputation on what you are going to do.
rdcspreadbitcoins

Activity: 1

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2011, 06:06:10 AM

Please be careful when buying from ebay, as it is VERY easy to get scammed.

People will pay you with paypal and then receive your bitcoins. The scam happens here. The thief will then request a chargeback from paypal, and with no proof of sending anything to said customer, paypal will tragically target YOU as the thief and refund his money. He will have your bitcoins and his dollars. This is why selling bitcoin is not allowed on ebay, while they can't ban every account, you should not trade bitcoins on ebay for your safety.

As dismal as bitcoin scams are however, solutions are being developed and supported and are currently underway to solve the minor problem of bitcoin intangibility that makes buying and selling on ebay so difficult without getting scammed or banned.

Check out bitbills.com for tangible bitcoins. I'm pretty sure you can sell those on ebay no problem.

Does anyone else know of an alternative to bitbills that represents a tangible bitcoin?

Good luck and happy coining!
plogank

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 16, 2011, 01:54:12 PM

Bitcoin sales are going on all the time on Ebay and consummated via Paypal.  I purchased a few early on so I'd have something in my wallet. Just small ones like .1 BTC for $1.  I had no trouble.

However, considering all I've read, I don't think it wise to be selling Bitcoins on Ebay and being paid through Paypal.  That's where the danger comes in.

If you like this post a donation would be nice....  1PhCzA9o1jcwHr7PR4mxea8nJYUJWpKAGb

Besides, It'll drive me crazy trying to figure where it came from.
BTCnewbie (OP)

View Profile
August 16, 2011, 04:33:56 PM

Well I placed that listing early this morning, and already sold 358 units of 0.1 BTC
356 were to the same person with 17 different transactions. Obviously paypal froze the funds almost immediately for investigation. Luckily the disputes were started before I sent any BTC so I just refunded and cancelled the transactions.

I'm now thinking it is very dodgy to sell on ebay and accept paypal. I'd have no problem selling on ebay with bank transfer as the payment method, or any other irreversible payment method.
BTCnewbie (OP)

View Profile
August 16, 2011, 04:56:00 PM

Why would any non paypal payment method auction be deleted?
Surely ebay can't force you to use their monopolistic paypal if you choose not to.
Lots of scammers on ebay now and always before, but the biggest scammer is ebay itself. They charge you to list an item, they charge a final value fee when you sell said item, and they charge you again to receive your money in paypal. Daylight robbery  Roll Eyes
BTCnewbie (OP)

View Profile
August 16, 2011, 05:06:45 PM

.. only lost $100 made well north of $1000 as the fools on there were paying sometimes twice/three times the going rate.
hm, part of the chargebacks is probably due to the fact buyers realized you screwed them 2-3 times over the market value?
ok, majority were probably crooks and you had to work hard for the profit and helped a lot people to get hands on some bitcoins. i'd stay away : ))) and that's probably the reason why you made some bucks and i did not : )

It's not a matter of screwing the buyers, you need to sell at an inflated rate above market value to factor in the number of chargebacks that are very likely to happen in order to make a slight profit. I think most people buying part bitcoins are happy to pay the inflated price for say 0.1 or 0.2 btc just to get their foot in the door to start day trading on mtgox etc. With the wild fluctuations in the bitcoin marketplace you can easily turn 0.2 btc into 2 btc if you trade wisely  Wink
Hotdog453

Activity: 121

View Profile
August 16, 2011, 05:14:28 PM

Trying to sell Bitcoins on Ebay just seems awkward as all sin, given the other available options.
BTCnewbie (OP)

View Profile
August 16, 2011, 08:03:43 PM

This bitcoin lark is fucking dangerous. First day of selling on ebay and my windows xp system is compromised by a trojan. Fucking leeches everywhere.
I am security conscious and not a newbie when it comes to security (although having xp installed on any of my computers would suggest otherwise lol)
I will need to format my hard drive and re-install as I can't get windows to load at all, but I have recovery tools to retrieve data from the warped drive via my linux machine before I format. I got my wallet file from xp which only had 0.5 btc on it but I've not checked if that has been stolen yet, I don't really care if it has been nicked, it's only 0.5

Moral of the story is, don't trust a soul in this bitcoin game, and certainly don't trust windows  Grin
OzBitcoin

Activity: 8

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2011, 10:08:37 PM

I have been advised that selling bitcoin on email is against their policy and have had auctions deleted. Even offering bitcoin as a bonus item is not allowed.
WeaponsGrade

Activity: 7

View Profile
August 16, 2011, 10:20:31 PM

They like to cancel auctions that could threaten their subsidiary...
BTCnewbie (OP)

View Profile
August 16, 2011, 10:54:15 PM

They like to cancel auctions that could threaten their subsidiary...

I wouldn't call paypal a subsidiary of ebay, I'd call it a fucking monopolistic dictatorship if they don't allow non paypal payments.
If the practices they undertake happened offline the OFT and/or Monopolies Commision in the UK would have a field day with them in court.
As it happens, the UK currently has a Tory government so big business can do what they fucking like as long as we have snivelling little cunts like cameron on their side. Upper class cunts like him are specially bred to fuck up the aspirations of us working class folks, and don't get me started on Nick Clegg.... fucking liberal my arse... all he has done since the coalition agreement is bend over and take cameron up the arse willingly, without any lube

I may sound a little annoyed, and that's because I am. I just checked my wallet on my vista machine and it's fucking empty. I had 847 BTC in there and it's gone. How the fuck could that happen? The machine has never been online since I sent them there, I only regularly use my linux or xp machines.
TheLaundryMan

Activity: 35

View Profile
August 16, 2011, 11:04:00 PM

I always thought it was allowed. I have had friends buy some through ebay / paypal.
BTCnewbie (OP)

View Profile
August 16, 2011, 11:14:30 PM

I always thought it was allowed. I have had friends buy some through ebay / paypal.

FAO Admin or mods.
See this 5 post rule you have in place? It encourages pointless posts like this. I won't be surprised if 20 people with less than 5 posts reply and say "I agree" I've just given them the opportunity to do so.
If you have less than 5 posts and you agree with me, reply stating "I agree"  Grin
skidz7

Activity: 11

View Profile
August 16, 2011, 11:45:23 PM

Trying to sell Bitcoins on Ebay just seems awkward as all sin, given the other available options.

I would agree...it's interesting though that the people selling them on ebay seem to be asking higher prices.  Perhaps some people are more comfortable purchasing at e-bay instead of mtgox or others, just because of the name recognition.
hmongotaku

Activity: 168

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2011, 12:06:18 AM

selling BTC is allowed I guess. I even seen "work for bitcoin" sale from Bulgaria. THis guy  wants to you to give him 400 uk pounds for 900 in 2 years time. link: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bitcoin-mining-business-sale-make-900-2-years-/120763511881?pt=UK_B_I_Business_for_Sale_CV&hash=item1c1e10f449#ht_1330wt_1139

plogank

Activity: 126

View Profile
August 17, 2011, 03:12:39 AM

Why would anyone want to sell Bitcoins on Ebay now that ExchB is so easy to use.  You can even make cash deposits to your ExchB account at several banks.

If you like this post a donation would be nice....  1PhCzA9o1jcwHr7PR4mxea8nJYUJWpKAGb

Besides, It'll drive me crazy trying to figure where it came from.
0zymandias

Activity: 8

View Profile
August 17, 2011, 04:33:44 AM

Yeah, pretty sure that's not okay by ebay.  Maybe not though.
mtroscheck

Activity: 6

View Profile
August 17, 2011, 06:24:56 AM

I thought ebay was actually pretty ok when it first started, but it's gotten so bad the last few years that I wouldn't dream of buying or selling anything there. I'd definitely avoid any bitcoin offers on there.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: