Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 09:44:29 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Japanese researchers break 41 out of 64 steps of SHA256 with preimage attack.  (Read 8597 times)
empoweoqwj

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 18, 2013, 07:14:19 AM

That's not how it works .... its an elliptical curve ............ its not incremental steps.

I know, right? So my "forecast" is too good to be true. Reality is worse. Don't worry about your 0.01 bitcoins, no one is going to take them.

Have you always been so charming?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
greenlion

Activity: 667

View Profile
December 18, 2013, 10:10:38 AM

A pre-image attack that does not encompass all 64 steps just results in something indistinguishable from the empirical effect of everyone in the world being able to hash faster. As long as access to those implementations is relatively widely known and not asymmetric, there is no threat to mining whatsoever.

Also its important to note that any implementation of a pre-image attack is going to have memory requirements well-above a normal reference SHA256d mining implementation, and it is not predictable a priori whether that will actually result in better real world performance than the current extremely low-memory brute force techniques.
Bitcoinpro
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 18, 2013, 10:22:22 AM

41 out of 64 steps and each step getting  parabolically more difficult, now i know why i just cleaned up on the Price of coin  Cheesy

WWW.FACEBOOK.COM

CRYPTOCURRENCY CENTRAL BANK

LTC: LP7bcFENVL9vdmUVea1M6FMyjSmUfsMVYf
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
December 18, 2013, 04:59:34 PM

A pre-image attack that does not encompass all 64 steps just results in something indistinguishable from the empirical effect of everyone in the world being able to hash faster.
I think the second preimage attack is the one that where we should panic because that means an attacker might be able to rewrite the transaction history.

A first preimage attack just means mining got easier as you said.
BitThink
Legendary

Activity: 882

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 04:38:41 AM

A pre-image attack that does not encompass all 64 steps just results in something indistinguishable from the empirical effect of everyone in the world being able to hash faster.
I think the second preimage attack is the one that where we should panic because that means an attacker might be able to rewrite the transaction history.

No, the attacker cannot rewrite the transaction history because the following reason

support the blockchain is ..., A, B, C, ...

B includes the hash of A, and C includes the hash of B. The preimage attach you mean is to find a B' having a same hash value included in C. However, remember that B' has in the same time to satisfy a lot of constrains: it has to include hash(A), it has to have correct format, and it has to include some transactions beneficial to the attacker  Smiley

Therefore, to be a successful attack, it is not enough to find a hash(B') == hash(B). You can only modify a small part of B to get a hash(B') == hash(B), that will be much much more difficult than ordinary preimage attack.
greenlion

Activity: 667

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 05:37:02 AM

No, the attacker cannot rewrite the transaction history because the following reason

support the blockchain is ..., A, B, C, ...

B includes the hash of A, and C includes the hash of B. The preimage attach you mean is to find a B' having a same hash value included in C. However, remember that B' has in the same time to satisfy a lot of constrains: it has to include hash(A), it has to have correct format, and it has to include some transactions beneficial to the attacker  Smiley

Therefore, to be a successful attack, it is not enough to find a hash(B') == hash(B). You can only modify a small part of B to get a hash(B') == hash(B), that will be much much more difficult than ordinary preimage attack.

That's not what a preimage attack is.

What you're talking about is pre-mining blocks. A preimage attack has nothing to do with the relationship of blocks to each other.

A preimage attack is when something about the nature of the hash allows you to systematically reduce the search space of original pre-hashed inputs. I.e. the hash is "weak" because it tells you something about what value produced the hash.
BitThink
Legendary

Activity: 882

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 06:50:30 AM
Last edit: December 20, 2013, 12:59:05 AM by BitThink

As far as I know, preimage attack is just to find a collision (given h(x) and x, find a y !=x and h(y) = h(x) ) more efficiently than brute force. However, to change block history you have to find a way to only alter a part of inputs and still maintain the same hash, that's not something preimage attack does.
empoweoqwj

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 08:58:22 AM

So many people on a single thread with so little knowledge of what is being talked about. Classic Wink
Tirapon

Activity: 898

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 09:19:47 AM

Title: Japanese researchers break 41 out of 64 steps of SHA256 with preimage attack.
Abstract: In this paper, we propose preimage attacks [...]

sensationalist 6/10
Do you not understand all scientific papers use propose?

Propose as in "You can do it this way that we discovered"

Not propose as in "We think"

I think he means that you should evaluate the actual preimage attack that they propose before saying that they broke it.
I mean i can propose an attack: Search for all the possible keys one by one... This is a nice theoretical attack but has no value in the real world...

You could make a start on this attack by convincing people to pool their resources, perhaps by offering a financial incentive (maybe some bitcoins for contributing computing power)? People could even work on creating some sort of application specific hardware to efficiently search for SHA-256 hash values. You could structure it so that rewards are payed out proportionally to each persons contribution.

You make this stuff up as you type right?

Pretty much, yeah. In fact this last discussion has just given me an idea for a new type of P2P payment system - One which works without the need for a central authority to keep track of the ledger...
empoweoqwj

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 09:23:21 AM

Title: Japanese researchers break 41 out of 64 steps of SHA256 with preimage attack.

sensationalist 6/10

I think he means that you should evaluate the actual preimage attack that they propose before saying that they broke it.
I mean i can propose an attack: Search for all the possible keys one by one... This is a nice theoretical attack but has no value in the real world...

You could make a start on this attack by convincing people to pool their resources, perhaps by offering a financial incentive (maybe some bitcoins for contributing computing power)? People could even work on creating some sort of application specific hardware to efficiently search for SHA-256 hash values. You could structure it so that rewards are payed out proportionally to each persons contribution.

Pretty much, yeah. In fact this last discussion has just given me an idea for a new type of P2P payment system - One which works without the need for a central authority to keep track of the ledger...

Are you sure its new? Lots of P2P payment systems have been proposed, and then promptly disappeared .................
pungopete468

Activity: 1470
Merit: 504

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 09:24:27 AM

BitCoin can be hacked... I saw it in the movie Transformers.

..1xBit.com   Super Six..
▄█████████████▄
████████████▀▀▀
█████████████▄
█████████▌▀████
██████████  ▀██
██████████▌   ▀
████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
▀██████████████
███████████████
█████████████▀
█████▀▀       
███▀ ▄███     ▄
██▄▄████▌    ▄█
████████       
████████▌     
█████████    ▐█
██████████   ▐█
███████▀▀   ▄██
███▀   ▄▄▄█████
███ ▄██████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████▀▀▀█
██████████     
███████████▄▄▄█
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
         ▄█████
        ▄██████
       ▄███████
      ▄████████
     ▄█████████
    ▄███████
   ▄███████████
  ▄████████████
 ▄█████████████
▄██████████████
  ▀▀███████████
      ▀▀███
████
          ▀▀
          ▄▄██▌
      ▄▄███████
     █████████▀

▄██▄▄▀▀██▀▀
▄██████     ▄▄▄
███████   ▄█▄ ▄
▀██████   █  ▀█
 ▀▀▀
    ▀▄▄█▀
▄▄█████▄    ▀▀▀
 ▀████████
   ▀█████▀ ████
      ▀▀▀ █████
          █████
       ▄  █▄▄ █ ▄
     ▀▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
      ▀ ▄▄█████▄█▄▄
    ▄ ▄███▀    ▀▀ ▀▀▄
  ▄██▄███▄ ▀▀▀▀▄  ▄▄
  ▄████████▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄██
 ████████████▀▀    █ ▐█
██████████████▄ ▄▄▀██▄██
 ▐██████████████    ▄███
  ████▀████████████▄███▀
  ▀█▀  ▐█████████████▀
       ▐████████████▀
       ▀█████▀▀▀ █▀
Premier League
LaLiga
Serie A
Bundesliga
Ligue 1
Primeira Liga
..TAKE PART..
empoweoqwj

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 09:25:39 AM

Another random post ..... this thread is increasingly full of them. That's what happens when you talk about something complicated Wink
pungopete468

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 09:51:15 AM

Another random post ..... this thread is increasingly full of them. That's what happens when you talk about something complicated Wink

It was intended to be comical. It's a quarter to 5 in the morning where I'm at so I really can't help myself...

The hackers will all be like "I wonder... It looks like there's some sort of message embedded within the signal..." lol

▄█████████████▄
████████████▀▀▀
█████████████▄
█████████▌▀████
██████████  ▀██
██████████▌   ▀
████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
▀██████████████
███████████████
█████████████▀
█████▀▀       
███▀ ▄███     ▄
██▄▄████▌    ▄█
████████       
████████▌     
█████████    ▐█
██████████   ▐█
███████▀▀   ▄██
███▀   ▄▄▄█████
███ ▄██████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████▀▀▀█
██████████     
███████████▄▄▄█
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
         ▄█████
        ▄██████
       ▄███████
      ▄████████
     ▄█████████
    ▄███████
   ▄███████████
  ▄████████████
 ▄█████████████
▄██████████████
  ▀▀███████████
      ▀▀███
████
          ▀▀
          ▄▄██▌
      ▄▄███████
     █████████▀

▄██▄▄▀▀██▀▀
▄██████     ▄▄▄
███████   ▄█▄ ▄
▀██████   █  ▀█
 ▀▀▀
    ▀▄▄█▀
▄▄█████▄    ▀▀▀
 ▀████████
   ▀█████▀ ████
      ▀▀▀ █████
          █████
       ▄  █▄▄ █ ▄
     ▀▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
      ▀ ▄▄█████▄█▄▄
    ▄ ▄███▀    ▀▀ ▀▀▄
  ▄██▄███▄ ▀▀▀▀▄  ▄▄
  ▄████████▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄██
 ████████████▀▀    █ ▐█
██████████████▄ ▄▄▀██▄██
 ▐██████████████    ▄███
  ████▀████████████▄███▀
  ▀█▀  ▐█████████████▀
       ▐████████████▀
       ▀█████▀▀▀ █▀
Premier League
LaLiga
Serie A
Bundesliga
Ligue 1
Primeira Liga
..TAKE PART..
empoweoqwj

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 11:58:53 AM

It was intended to be comical. It's a quarter to 5 in the morning where I'm at so I really can't help myself...

The hackers will all be like "I wonder... It looks like there's some sort of message embedded within the signal..." lol

Understood. Quarter to 5 in the morning jokes are normally best kept till morning Smiley
Tirapon

Activity: 898

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 02:04:26 PM

sensationalist 6/10

Are you sure its new? Lots of P2P payment systems have been proposed, and then promptly disappeared .................

My bad, turns out its been done already. Some guy called Satoshi already invented it back in 2008.
prezbo

Activity: 430
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 02:17:17 PM

My bad, turns out its been done already. Some guy called Satoshi already invented it back in 2008.

That idea-stealing bastard!
kuverty

Activity: 770
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 04:54:09 PM

sensationalist 6/10

First time I hear exhaustive search described as a "nice theoretical attack"   Grin
pungopete468

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 08:16:13 PM

Without quantum computing a 51% attack will never work.

After quantum computing becomes mainstream, then even a 51% attack by means of quantum computing will be unrealistic...

I don't think this type of attack is going to happen... Ever.

▄█████████████▄
████████████▀▀▀
█████████████▄
█████████▌▀████
██████████  ▀██
██████████▌   ▀
████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
▀██████████████
███████████████
█████████████▀
█████▀▀       
███▀ ▄███     ▄
██▄▄████▌    ▄█
████████       
████████▌     
█████████    ▐█
██████████   ▐█
███████▀▀   ▄██
███▀   ▄▄▄█████
███ ▄██████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████▀▀▀█
██████████     
███████████▄▄▄█
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
         ▄█████
        ▄██████
       ▄███████
      ▄████████
     ▄█████████
    ▄███████
   ▄███████████
  ▄████████████
 ▄█████████████
▄██████████████
  ▀▀███████████
      ▀▀███
████
          ▀▀
          ▄▄██▌
      ▄▄███████
     █████████▀

▄██▄▄▀▀██▀▀
▄██████     ▄▄▄
███████   ▄█▄ ▄
▀██████   █  ▀█
 ▀▀▀
    ▀▄▄█▀
▄▄█████▄    ▀▀▀
 ▀████████
   ▀█████▀ ████
      ▀▀▀ █████
          █████
       ▄  █▄▄ █ ▄
     ▀▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
      ▀ ▄▄█████▄█▄▄
    ▄ ▄███▀    ▀▀ ▀▀▄
  ▄██▄███▄ ▀▀▀▀▄  ▄▄
  ▄████████▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄██
 ████████████▀▀    █ ▐█
██████████████▄ ▄▄▀██▄██
 ▐██████████████    ▄███
  ████▀████████████▄███▀
  ▀█▀  ▐█████████████▀
       ▐████████████▀
       ▀█████▀▀▀ █▀
Premier League
LaLiga
Serie A
Bundesliga
Ligue 1
Primeira Liga
..TAKE PART..
Kazimir
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 11:25:37 PM

SHA3
Do you guys trust it?
Yep, I sure do. Especially because of the way it was carefully selected from a range of very well thought through alternatives, and investigated by hundreds of independent cryptography experts worldwide (and even many more after it was annoucned the official SHA3 standard).

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Insert coin(s): 1KazimirL9MNcnFnoosGrEkmMsbYLxPPob
Klestin

Activity: 493

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 01:46:44 AM

You "could" if you made computers out of something other than matter and they occupied something other than space.

You do realize he was intentionally describing bitcoin mining, right?
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: