I just set up a new computer and attempted to move my wallet (which did contain a balance) from the old computer to the new, with partial success. Here's the rundown:
-I'm on Win7, using the latest version (0.3.24-beta) of the Bitcoin client (on old and new machine)
1. I copied the wallet.dat to the new machine (saved on the desktop for the time being)
2. Installed the bitcoin client
3. Launched the client so it would create the profile in %appdata%
4. Closed the Blitcoin client
5. Went to %appdata% and renamed wallet.dat to wallet.old and then moved in the wallet.dat from the old computer)
6. Restarted Bitcoin. All my transactions appear, but all are grayed out, and show as "0/Unconfirmed", and most importantly, my balance shows 0.00
7. Then, based on another thread I found in this forum (http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5709.0
), I deleted the blk0001.dat and blkindex.dat files.
8. Restarted Bitcoin. Still no change from #6 above.
9. Closed Bitcoin again
10. Launched Bitcoin from the command line using the -rescan switch, i.e. c:\Program Files (x86)\....bitcoin.exe -rescan
11. As I type this, it's up to ~113K blocks, but still no balance and everything's still grayed out.
Do I have to wait for all blocks to be rescanned before the balance will show up?
Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I'd hate to lose my balance.
Note: I still have the old computer, so if needed I can grab the wallet.dat from there and start again if it looks like I've completely jacked something.