Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 08:00:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Did anybody noticed a transaction of 280000 BTCs?  (Read 5542 times)
cloud9

Activity: 126
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 30, 2011, 07:29:47 PM

Judged by all the one to multiple address transaction it should be a service provider on the Bitcoin network of some sorts, it could be mybitcoin.com , or deepbit mining pool , or mtgox , or just a rich paranoid privacy concerned individual splitting and consolodating and transferring his BTC.  Very unlikely, but investigation is warranted, someone could have double spend himself up to that amount by gaining control of the network with a botnet - but then that would have shown as a spike in the network hash here when it happened:

http://bitcoin.sipa.be/

Also if you add all the major mining pool's network hash power (see bitcoinwatch.com) - it equates roughly to the network total, and nobody at present has a majority to override network algorithm rules and accept his own double spend.  This again shows how important it is for the network integrity that it is decentralized and not monopolized/centralized under one major mining pool.

Or it could be something/someone hiding and double spending in the "Other" category of miners as shown on bicoinwatch.com , doubt that though - it is only fairly recent development when deepbit mining pool went down, but definitely worth inspecting by the blockchain inspectors!!

You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
May 31, 2011, 01:03:05 AM

Looks to me like this could be (one of) MtGox's reserve wallet(s). Not much of a surprise here.

FooDSt4mP

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 31, 2011, 01:10:41 AM

Judged by all the one to multiple address transaction it should be a service provider on the Bitcoin network of some sorts, it could be mybitcoin.com , or deepbit mining pool , or mtgox , or just a rich paranoid privacy concerned individual splitting and consolodating and transferring his BTC.  Very unlikely, but investigation is warranted, someone could have double spend himself up to that amount by gaining control of the network with a botnet - but then that would have shown as a spike in the network hash here when it happened:

http://bitcoin.sipa.be/

Also if you add all the major mining pool's network hash power (see bitcoinwatch.com) - it equates roughly to the network total, and nobody at present has a majority to override network algorithm rules and accept his own double spend.  This again shows how important it is for the network integrity that it is decentralized and not monopolized/centralized under one major mining pool.

Or it could be something/someone hiding and double spending in the "Other" category of miners as shown on bicoinwatch.com , doubt that though - it is only fairly recent development when deepbit mining pool went down, but definitely worth inspecting by the blockchain inspectors!!

Double spending does not create double the coins.  One of the two transactions will be rejected.  If you could sustain a fork for a while, it would take a while for that to happen, but if there was a fork for more than a block or two it would quickly be noticed.

As we slide down the banister of life, this is just another splinter in our ass.
TiagoTiago

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)

View Profile
May 31, 2011, 03:54:27 AM

If I had 280k BTC, I would occasionally transfer it from one address of mine to another, just to freak everybody out. Maybe that's what this guy is doing.

Then, just for the fun of it, I'd make a thousand transfers, all around the same time, so the dots together form a large, scrolling penis on bitcoinmonitor.com.

Someone gotta make a program that carefully times an array of transfers in order to draw or write things on those graphs

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
gongcheng (OP)

Activity: 84

View Profile
May 31, 2011, 09:06:47 AM

The guy with 297k BTC in the top of bitcoin report could be the guy took the 280k BTCs because from this page
http://blockexplorer.com/address/1PZjfkLZBT7Q3UFmyEWH8QtuzTMi3MUiBj

showed that the address 1PZjfkLZBT7Q3UFmyEWH8QtuzTMi3MUiBj has a balance of 297k BTCs.

gongcheng (OP)

Activity: 84

View Profile
May 31, 2011, 09:08:24 AM

Did anybody tried to send your money from one address to another?

What will happen?

TTBit
Legendary

Activity: 1136
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 31, 2011, 05:20:07 PM

Think I'll send 0.01 btc to that address, just to screw up his accounting.

good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
May 31, 2011, 05:28:56 PM

Here's 300,000 of some of the same coins that were sent around on May 21/22.
http://blockexplorer.com/address/1EeT96B4ri5N496ze8rJnkCNdmtgeGYpgf
Bazil

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 01:54:07 AM

Yeah it's probably mtgox moving coins.  I think it would be a bad idea to store so many coins in one spot.  What if the computer crashed?  Not a pretty sight.  400k is a lot when there are only 6.xx million in the whole world!

17Bo9a6YpXN2SbwY8mXLCD43Wup9ZE4rwm
barbarousrelic

Activity: 675
Merit: 502

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 01:05:32 PM

Could also be BTC held on behalf of others.

MtGox / MyBitcoin / etc

I think this is very likely.

Do not waste your time debating whether Bitcoin can work. It does work.

"Early adopters will profit" is not a sufficient condition to classify something as a pyramid or Ponzi scheme. If it was, Apple and Microsoft stock are Ponzi schemes.

There is no such thing as "market manipulation." There is only buying and selling.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: