Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 07:57:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: LibreOffice foundation looks for donations.  (Read 1613 times)
hippich (OP)

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 19, 2011, 04:49:03 PM

http://challenge.documentfoundation.org/

Probably someone can contact them and check if they are willing to setup bitcoin wallet for this purpose. I personally give them 10 BTC for sure.

Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
genjix
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1071

View Profile
February 19, 2011, 05:20:11 PM
Last edit: February 19, 2011, 05:32:44 PM by genjix

I saw that.

Why do they need €50k for? That's retardedly huge. All the developers have everything they need. They don't need an office since everybody works from home. In short: why 50k?

If it's some silly German law, why not setup in a cheaper country. I'm sure you can pay 1/50th that in a developing country. If this is how they spend money then it seems silly to donate to them.

The Steering Committee has set itself a deadline for collecting the required funds, which will be March 21st, 2011. If, by that date, we do not have enough money through actual donations or firm pledges by sponsors, the foundation will not be formed in Germany and - instead - we will opt for a legal entity in the United Kingdom.

Nonetheless, after careful consideration of all the possibilities, we are convinced that a German-based solution provides more advantages than any other country. We are calling on all users, adopters, and - notably - enterprises and corporations to support our efforts and help us form The Document Foundation: with your support, we can make it happen!

Let me get this straight. They decided that Germany (which requires €50k upfront) is the best choice... Followed by the UK. Seriously?? The UK? wtf. The land of the most restrictive IP laws, censorship, mandatory internet blacklist, worst libel laws in all of Europe?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Censorship_in_the_United_Kingdom
BioMike
Legendary

Activity: 1658
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 19, 2011, 07:07:21 PM

Some people explained the 50k on slashdot. It isn't a hard requirement to start the foundation, but a common practice to have some starting capital (and to give some trust to the people who you're going to cooperate with). IMHO 50K isn't that much (you can maybe have only 2 persons working full time for the foundation with that money), as long as they spend it well.

Also note that LO was once Star Office, which was made in Germany. I wouldn't be surprised if there are still people from the original company involved in the development of the code.
nikonoel

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 21, 2011, 10:05:20 AM

I don't have those 50k€ in bitcoins (nor in cash), but would be happy to make a donation anyway... Anyone has contacted them, yet?
Stemby
Legendary

Activity: 2450
Merit: 1008

View Profile
October 18, 2011, 08:25:35 AM

Anyone has contacted them, yet?

Currently they accept Flattr donations, but there is no info about BTCs...

“…virtual currencies, could have a substitution effect on central bank money if they become widely accepted.”
ECB Report, October 2012
MagicalTux
VIP

Activity: 608
Merit: 501

-

View Profile
October 18, 2011, 09:56:24 AM

They already got their 50k, but contacted them anyway to see if they'd accept btc donations~
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: