Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 02:38:42 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to Kill mining process on Antminers?  (Read 202 times)
robione (OP)

Activity: 13
Merit: 2

View Profile
May 14, 2018, 12:08:49 AM

I have a few miners. I haven't tried on my S9 yet but looks like the L3+s use 'screen' to launch 'cgminer'. I tried killing the cgminer process nicely (-s TERM), forcefully (-9), via ctrl+c (or ...z ... x; can't remember) after reattaching the screen. Every time it restarts. I tried chasing down this "sleep 20" process and killing the new spawn... I tried killing 'monitorcg'....

Every time all the processes killed restart (except the sleep, but I might be too slow and it finished). It didn't look there was a crontab file in '/var/spool/cron/root'.

I just did the poweroff command as a test but the idea was to shutdown mining if I wanted without getting a switched PDU. (SSH via Tor hidden service to Pi; SSH from Pi to miner, etc.) This leaves me the option of turning mining back on remotely.

Curious if anyone has been successful with this. Thx

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
fanatic26

Activity: 756
Merit: 560

View Profile
May 14, 2018, 03:40:25 PM
Merited by ccgllc (1)

Im not sure how to stop it mining without the cron restarting it but IO would recommend against using this method. The machine burns almost full power at idle in tests that I have done with the autotune firmware. You will not mine, but you will still be spending a ton on electricity.

Stop buying industrial miners, running them at home, and then complaining about the noise.
robione (OP)

Activity: 13
Merit: 2

View Profile
May 15, 2018, 03:17:20 AM
Last edit: May 15, 2018, 04:47:39 AM by robione

I'm not sure if it is cron. In the inittab file it specifies respawn on several lines. If this is once I think it might solve the problem but I can't figure out how to use OpenWRT's version of vi. Either I'm dense or the commands aren't the same from Google searches.

(I've never used vi too... could be a contributing factor Smiley )
cmanmatt

Activity: 33
Merit: 11

View Profile
May 18, 2018, 01:49:17 AM

I had the same question a few weeks back and gave up on shutting down the mining on Antminers programatically.  I also sent a support question to Awesomeminer about it and they replied that for Antminers there isn't a good way to do it, the Antminers firmware/software will very stubbornly keep restarting the mining process.

So I opted for heavy duty smart switches instead.  Just got them running this week and just starting to try timing the off/on of my miners.  It's working but now I'm finding they don't do well starting up cold - they require a few restarts to get everything hashing/controlling right.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: