Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 07:00:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Tradebitcoin.com Public Beta  (Read 5622 times)
jesmurf (OP)

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 23, 2011, 09:51:31 PM
Last edit: February 23, 2011, 11:36:34 PM by jesmurf

Hi everyone!

I was wanting to get everyone's opinion on a new site I'm putting together. A few months ago I purchased some bitcoins via a well known seller. I grew really frustrated when my order took over a month to process! It was no fault of the seller apparently, it was "lost in the mail" for a while. I was really elated when it finally came in and I got my Bitcoins (and now they're worth three times as much as I purchased them for.) But the whole process got me thinking about the process of getting Bitcoins.

In an ideal world we could just go down to the local grocery store and buy a Bitcoin card at the check-out. Then take that card home and get our bitcoins by redeeming the card. This will be how it will work someday - hopefully. The problem we have as a community is bootstrapping local distribution so we can buy locally. It's very nearly a chicken-or-the-egg problem. You can't have widespread acceptance without an easy way to buy currency and you can't buy currency until you have widespread acceptance.

This problem got me thinking. What if we trade with each-other locally - for profit. I live in a technologically savvy University town. I'm willing to bet that there is at least one fellow Bitcoin user in town who already has Bitcoins. If not, well I bet there is someone who wants to be. I have a stock of ~1000 Bitcoins, I'd be willing to sell them to someone locally - for the same price per-transaction I would pay using Western Union or Moneygram. Would you consider meeting someone in a public place on a convenient schedule for you for $20 per-transaction? I know I would.

At the moment we have no way to meet fellow Bitcoin users. So I started a Rails project and spent some free time and I came up with http://tradebitcoin.com.

It's not finished, it definitely still needs some work. What do you guys think?

- Jonathan

(Oh and if you like the idea please donate! I'm trying to move the project to better hosting. 1PG188S8VUbiYjuf4vHiVeZA61d5MJ3ivd)

UPDATE: The map issue is fixed now. I'll try and get Google account login working. Thanks guys for all the help!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitterTea

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 23, 2011, 09:58:39 PM

Cool idea, and I'd be interested in being a local trader, but I had problems signing up using Google account authentication.
jesmurf (OP)

View Profile
February 23, 2011, 10:06:19 PM

Thanks for letting me know! It's been a while since I tested sign-in with Google Accounts specifically (I have tried Twitter and Facebook.) I know you can add a google account after you sign up using the ordinary sign up method.
http://tradebitcoin.com/users/sign_up

I'll get on fixing it asap!
error

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 23, 2011, 10:07:36 PM

Hm, signed in, but I'm stuck on the additional info screen; it just won't go away! But it doesn't tell me what fields (if any) I was supposed to fill in or what was wrong.

3KzNGwzRZ6SimWuFAgh4TnXzHpruHMZmV8
jesmurf (OP)

View Profile
February 23, 2011, 10:11:59 PM

Well, you can fill in the fields you want to. Whatever you find applicable. Just put the data in that you want to and click "Save". I didn't want to make anything mandatory. You should get a "profile updated" message in the lower right corner with an explanation. If not, can you tell me.

What operating system are you using?
What browser / version?
What happened when the error occurred.

If anyone finds an error and you have time, please call my office: 1 (573) 418-6487
I can work out the problem on the phone. Or send me a message on here.
BitterTea

View Profile
February 23, 2011, 10:12:41 PM

Thanks for letting me know! It's been a while since I tested sign-in with Google Accounts specifically (I have tried Twitter and Facebook.) I know you can add a google account after you sign up using the ordinary sign up method.
http://tradebitcoin.com/users/sign_up

I'll get on fixing it asap!

The Google sign in link takes me to this page: http://tradebitcoin.com/auth/google_apps

Which asks for the Google apps domain. What do I enter for a regular Google account? I tried http://google.com and it gave me the "We're sorry, but something went wrong." error message.
theGECK

Activity: 411

View Profile
February 23, 2011, 10:14:08 PM

I'm signed in! I can search for my address, see my marker, but when I click on it it goes to Jonathan Jeffus.

Feature request: Ability to link the forum handle from this forum to the trader account - that way people could vet each other based on what they know from this board.

Use my referral codes for Bitcoin faucets and I'll send you 30% of my referral bonus - Win/Win! PM for details on all sites available or use one of the links here.

FreeBitco.in | FreeDoge.co.in
jesmurf (OP)

View Profile
February 23, 2011, 10:14:30 PM

BitterTea: Yeah I should fix that. If it's a GMail account then you enter 'gmail.com' for the domain. If it's a Google Apps account then you enter your domain name.
theGECK

View Profile
February 23, 2011, 10:15:30 PM

Now it's redirecting me to BitterTea when I click on my marker on the map.

Use my referral codes for Bitcoin faucets and I'll send you 30% of my referral bonus - Win/Win! PM for details on all sites available or use one of the links here.

jesmurf (OP)

View Profile
February 23, 2011, 10:17:10 PM

theGECK: Oooh, I see what you mean. Don't let this bother anyone else signing up, it only affects search. I'll have it fixed in a jiffy.
theGECK

View Profile
February 23, 2011, 10:18:43 PM

If I add Facebook to my profile, what will Trade Bitcoin post to my wall? It wants that permission.

jesmurf (OP)

View Profile
February 23, 2011, 10:24:58 PM

theGECK: We won't post anything it's only for authentication, check out our privacy policy. Smiley

http://tradebitcoin.com/privacy_policy
Txyru

Activity: 61
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 23, 2011, 10:25:38 PM

When I try to click on myself it goes to another user in Saint Louis.
error

Activity: 588

View Profile
February 23, 2011, 10:27:37 PM

Ah, I think my problem may have something to do with having maxmind.com blocked. Smiley

3KzNGwzRZ6SimWuFAgh4TnXzHpruHMZmV8
kseistrup

Activity: 566

Unselfish actions pay back better

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2011, 10:36:44 PM

Cheers,

Klaus Alexander Seistrup
BitterTea

View Profile
February 23, 2011, 10:43:50 PM

A few things...

1) Password reset does not work for me (get the same generic error message)
2) The main font on the site hurts my eyes
3) I'm seeing the same issue as theGECK - markers appear in the right place but link to the wrong one
4) I get the same error using http://gmail.com as the Google app domain
5) I really like the logo
bitdragon

Activity: 609
Merit: 501

peace

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2011, 11:00:05 PM

Once logged in and placed my marker, I can only see myself on the map? Am I do something silly?

When not signed in and I click on my marker, I get taken to Brad in Canada.

Very promising though;)

jesmurf (OP)

View Profile
February 23, 2011, 11:05:39 PM

BitterTea: Thanks for your suggestions! I've changed the font back to Times/serif, I also disabled Google Apps and OpenID authentication until I can figure out why it worked in development but not in production.

I should have the map issue fixed next. Thanks everyone for the suggestions so far.

theGECK: I really like that idea! I'm not sure how we could verify that forum members were who they say they are. I could add a link to their forum profile? Then you could message them on this forum and ask? Is this a good idea?
comboy

Activity: 247
Merit: 252

View Profile
February 23, 2011, 11:21:35 PM

By default it seems to put my location based on IP on the map. Which may be very misleading. I don't want to share it, and I don't seem to be able to put marker elsewhere.

Idea is very nice.

Variance is a bitch!
jesmurf (OP)

View Profile
February 23, 2011, 11:33:22 PM

comboy: If you set a different address on your profile then it will use that address. It just selects the location based on your I.P. address by default. Ideally we should be using the location where you want to meet. So for example, you could find the address for your local Starbucks and use that.

That kind of suggestion is what we need though. I'd really like the site to be super-obvious and easy to use.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: