Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 10:13:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to use offline Electrum?  (Read 1195 times)
thewayshegoes (OP)

Activity: 44
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 04:14:34 AM

I recently just downloaded the newest version of Electrum onto my online computer.  When I start the program up it asks me to write down a random seed of words.  Is there any way to do this on an offline computer so I never have to generate the seed on an online computer?  I have a netbook that has never been online, so would I just need to copy the electrum.exe file to the offline netbook and install it there, or is there more to it?  Thanks in advance.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Tachikoma

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
December 05, 2013, 09:44:42 AM

That should work, make sure you have a virus scanner on your online pc that's up-to-date so you don't transfer something with you on the USB stick for instance.

Electrum: the convenience of a web wallet, without the risks | Bytesized Seedboxes BTC/LTC supported
btcven

Activity: 715
Merit: 500

Bitcoin Venezuela

View Profile WWW
December 05, 2013, 11:59:54 AM

How to make offline transactions using your Master Public Key http://electrum.org/tutorials.html#offline-mpk

Admin: rdymac (PGP) | contacto@bitcoinvenezuela.com | @cafebitcoin | Electrum, lightweight bitcoin client
If I've been helpful tip me a coffee! Cheesy1rdymachKZpA9pTYHYHMYZjfjnoBW6B3k Bitrated user: rdymac.
SwagPoker

Activity: 20

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 05:58:02 PM

I'm using 1.9.5 as a new user on both my Windows 7 machines and I'm not able to sign offline transactions. I get as far as entering in my password (I've changed it three times just to make sure it wasn't me putting in the wrong password) and it returns me to the transaction, unsigned.

Kinda at my wits end and about to dump Electrum for Armory to make secure, offline transactions. Little help would be great.

Please and thank you...
bizz

Activity: 492

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 10:42:19 PM

I'm using 1.9.5 as a new user on both my Windows 7 machines and I'm not able to sign offline transactions. I get as far as entering in my password (I've changed it three times just to make sure it wasn't me putting in the wrong password) and it returns me to the transaction, unsigned.

Kinda at my wits end and about to dump Electrum for Armory to make secure, offline transactions. Little help would be great.

Please and thank you...

Are you trying to send from change address or address that you can't see in offlline? I had similar issues. If so:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=344115.0
xs101

Activity: 7

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 08:32:18 PM

Hello,
Also regarding the use of an Offline (for signing transactions) and an Online (watch only) computer, is there a way to make the Offline client aware of the transactions that have been broadcasted by the Online wallet, in order for the Offline client to display the proper balance ?
btcven

Bitcoin Venezuela

View Profile WWW
December 20, 2013, 12:06:22 AM

Hello,
Also regarding the use of an Offline (for signing transactions) and an Online (watch only) computer, is there a way to make the Offline client aware of the transactions that have been broadcasted by the Online wallet, in order for the Offline client to display the proper balance ?

Using the deseed command you can use a deseeded version of the wallet file to move it to the online computer, make transaction and then bring it back to the offline machine and seed it again.

Admin: rdymac (PGP) | contacto@bitcoinvenezuela.com | @cafebitcoin | Electrum, lightweight bitcoin client
If I've been helpful tip me a coffee! Cheesy1rdymachKZpA9pTYHYHMYZjfjnoBW6B3k Bitrated user: rdymac.
xs101

Activity: 7

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 11:37:17 AM

Using the deseed command you can use a deseeded version of the wallet file to move it to the online computer, make transaction and then bring it back to the offline machine and seed it again.
Thank you for your answer. I couldn't find any documentation on this procedure, so I would ask you to clarify it please.

So in the bash console of the offline computer I type
$ electrum -o -w wallet1 deseed
Then take the deseeded wallet file (wallet1) and copy it to the online computer, from the online electrum open the wallet1 file and make a transaction, close electrum.
Then take the wallet1 file and copy it back to the offline computer, open it in electrum... and how do I reseed it ?

Please correct me if I'm wrong, I'm trying to figure this stuff out but can't since there is no documentation.
Thanks in advance.
btcven

Bitcoin Venezuela

View Profile WWW
December 21, 2013, 03:07:47 PM

Thank you for your answer. I couldn't find any documentation on this procedure, so I would ask you to clarify it please.

Then take the deseeded wallet file (wallet1) and copy it to the online computer, from the online electrum open the wallet1 file and make a transaction, close electrum.
Then take the wallet1 file and copy it back to the offline computer, open it in electrum... and how do I reseed it ?

Please correct me if I'm wrong, I'm trying to figure this stuff out but can't since there is no documentation.
Thanks in advance.

Sorry, it seems that the reseed command has been removed so I don't know how to do what you want with the current commands. Deseed command still exists though.

Abdussamad
Legendary

Activity: 3612
Merit: 1564

View Profile
December 21, 2013, 03:20:16 PM

Thanks in advance.

This isn't how it is done. When you run the deseed command it creates a new watch only copy of the wallet called wallet1.seedless. You copy that to the online computer and create a transaction. Then you save the TRANSACTION for signing on the offline computer. Then you carry the signed transaction to the online system and broadcast it.

edit: Looks like I completely missed the point. You want to see the transaction on the offline system. The only way to do that is to bring it online. I think that's harmless unless you are using windows. A mostly offline wallet is not bad. You have to bring it online to update the OS anyway.
bitcoinslave

Activity: 138
Merit: 101

View Profile
December 21, 2013, 04:08:46 PM

Hi Abdussamad!

Can I pay you a small cup of coffee?

great support
Abdussamad
Legendary

Activity: 3612
Merit: 1564

View Profile
December 21, 2013, 05:12:13 PM

Hi Abdussamad!

Can I pay you a small cup of coffee?

great support

Sure! Here you go: 1Cabu41cNjCqYhjpVrhn5C2KHr7kFmPRje

Mind you I prefer tea myself Smiley
bitcoinslave

Activity: 138
Merit: 101

View Profile
December 21, 2013, 06:44:34 PM

not at all, but coffee can keep you awake  Smiley helping us hauahauahau be my guest! And thank you again.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: