Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 06:31:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why Run the Bitcoin Client?  (Read 3844 times)
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
November 17, 2011, 04:15:33 PM

It would certainly be pretty nice if there was a torrent network where seeders are paid. It would be like a poor man's Usenet but with the advantages of being decentralized and pay-as-you-go. Same thing for tor relays.

I think this is bound to happen whether we ask for it or not.  (Both of them)

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MysteryMiner
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1029

Show middle finger to system and then destroy it!

View Profile
November 17, 2011, 11:55:37 PM

Good question, I'm running bitcoin client for several months, but i'm not sure i'll run it if it's getting too big to slow down my computer too much.
The computers are getting more powerful faster than Bitcoin is getting resource demanding. The opposite is true for Microsoft Windows. So any recent hardware are capable of supporting Bitcoin client. Tested Bitcoin even on aging server running dual Pentium 3 with Win2k3 R2.
It would certainly be pretty nice if there was a torrent network where seeders are paid. It would be like a poor man's Usenet but with the advantages of being decentralized and pay-as-you-go. Same thing for tor relays.
Some people prefer to stay anonymous, so only payment they might accept are Bitcoins. I actually run few Tor exit nodes 24/7, will You pay me for doing so? Who will pay? I will run them anyway even if You don't pay me. If You are short in cash, should You be denied from using Tor or torrents? Or there actually are people who like when computers and servers are idling to do some service for fellow internet users?
Only problem I have with running the client to support the network is it gives your ip away to would be attackers
Obtaining IP is the first and easiest step. IP adress alone will do nothing, there must be some vulnerability and way to launch exploit on the system with that IP or all attacks will fail and DDoS are the only option.

bc1q59y5jp2rrwgxuekc8kjk6s8k2es73uawprre4j
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: