Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 01:15:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How to mine Earthcoin [EAC] using Digitalocean Cloud VPS  (Read 7997 times)
btc1210

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 21, 2013, 07:29:33 PM

This is absolutely not profitable, not at 6kh/s.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
matt608

Activity: 882
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 21, 2013, 07:37:17 PM

I would be interested in doing this just to get a wallet because as a Mac user there is no other way I can see to be able to get an EAC address.  Problem is I am clueless at how to execute terminal commands and am not capable of following these instructions.
virtualdn (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1093

View Profile
December 21, 2013, 07:40:26 PM

This is absolutely not profitable, not at 6kh/s.

6kh/s x 5 droplet = average above 30 khs

i've posted a disclaimer on my first post so there are no more problems. thank you all.

1 BTC = 1 BTC
virtualdn (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1093

View Profile
December 21, 2013, 07:47:18 PM

I would be interested in doing this just to get a wallet because as a Mac user there is no other way I can see to be able to get an EAC address.  Problem is I am clueless at how to execute terminal commands and am not capable of following these instructions.

you won't get an address using this guide, this is just for mining. to get an address you must compile the wallet code on your server.

1 BTC = 1 BTC
igl00

Activity: 231
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
December 21, 2013, 07:52:40 PM

guide is good but theres no way to profit.
only if u have servers for free u can do this. other than that.. nope

bullioncopper

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 08:06:12 PM

I have installed everything on the vps but when i type this command it does not work.

./minerd --url stratum+tcp://server:port --userpass worker.name:password

What do I do and how does it know to reach my wallet address?
Biomech
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1022

Anarchy is not chaos.

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 10:32:03 AM

Not to be trite or offensive...but let's try to leave this type of nonsense out of the forums.

Mining at 6 khash or 30 khash or however many droplets you may have for anything other than a CPU/quark-based coin is a foolish endeavor and although I think it is nice that you have created a guide in this exercise for user's to benefit from; trying to gouge other users through referral, possibly targetted at the newbie/beginner community does nothing but hurt the reputation of bitcointalk and the type of people that we have here.

If it is indeed true that you do not want to spend money on a GPU and would rather just use credit for mining, there are choices that are orders of magnitude better than what is possible with DigitalOcean, Amazon GPU spot instances and initial $25/$100 credit for instance - even at their elevated rates; while still by no means profitable are still a much better value at ~200 kh/s.

But then, again if you are simply focusing on using these free credits as to not have to put out your own money...it's not a sustainable approach anyways - if your true belief is in the coin and it's speculative value, then you would be much better served just buying the coin outright whether it be once it hits an exchange early or even before in one of the organized spreadsheets.

Anyways let's try to bring true value to the community; and if you are indeed just trying to show an exercise of how you used cloud computing to do this, that is great; and indeed useful to others, but let's not pollute it with referral links and endorse it to the community when it is a clear losing proposition.

All the best and happy holidays,
Altminer77

I think I'd like to dispute this a bit.

I can't really dispute your facts in regards to profit. Either way, actually, as I have not tried this. I might. And the "why" of that is why this thread adds value to the forum.

First, I want to say to Virtualdn and the audience, that I got NO issue with trying to make a buck via referrals, as long as you're not being deceptive about it. I'm actually highly in favor of this model, as my sig demonstrates. But that's an aside.

Why would I do this, even thinking it's likely to be unprofitable from a purely monetary standpoint?

I can think of several reasons.

1. Entertainment. I get off learning new ways to do things, even if they aren't necessarily the BEST way to do it.
2. You might like the coin, but not have the resources to devote to it. (For the purposes of full disclosure, I have just been invited to join the development team of Earthcoin. However, I mean this item generically.)
3. potential profit via referral. A bunch of small income streams can equal a better living, which can equal a better lifestyle. Those seeking poverty or who do not want others to profit, well have fun with that.
4. Education. You can screw up really badly for five bucks and only be out five bucks.

I could probably think of more, but I'm drunk and that's enough for now. I'll probably be trying this in the next few days. If I don't make a profit, such is life. If I do, great. Either way, I'll have fun and learn some things. For me, that's value that you almost can't put a price on.
blockgators

Activity: 37
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2017, 10:20:35 PM

@virtualdn, can you set up a few coins for me to mine on Digital Ocean?
dx_twisted

Activity: 294
Merit: 114

View Profile
October 19, 2017, 10:22:53 AM

Mining coins with Scrypt algorithm is very difficult through VPS. Aside wasting your time, you might get banned as this is prohibited not only on DigiOcean but other VPS as well such as Azure.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: