Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 01:56:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: friendlier addresses?  (Read 1686 times)
doof

Activity: 765
Merit: 503

View Profile WWW
December 24, 2013, 09:25:39 AM

I tried to provide a solution for this by mapping emails to an address www.coinbook.me

Why would you post this? Here is a short list of obvious problems:
1. Everything mentioned in this thread so far about DNS models, which presumably you read since you're posting here.
2. The obvious security implications of people trusting you with a giant database of email addresses, and sending these to you, without HTTPS.
3. The obvious security implications of you publishing bitcoin addresses from your database, without HTTPS.
4. Only supports one bitcoin address per transaction; every additional one "succeeds" according to site but does not show up in the lookup.
5. You do not validate checksums. I was not only able to register bad bitcoin addresses, but even "addresses" which had various special characters and looked nothing like a bitcoin address.
6. Removing addresses does not work. The link in the confirmation email 404's.

I appreciate you are just trying to accumulate email addresses for whatever nefarious purpose, but this is inexcusably sloppy.

While you do have some point on HTTPS, you point 3 is stupid.  There is no implications showing your "public" btc address.
grau

Activity: 836
Merit: 1021

bits of proof

View Profile WWW
December 24, 2013, 12:01:52 PM

Business payments absolutely cannot use common addresses because if they do you can't tell who actually paid you.  "What do you mean rent is due? I paid in txid 5. What do you mean unit 1 said that was his payment?!? it was mine!". There are all sorts of security issues that come from reuse before you ever ask about "anonymity".

Besides, this isn't a question of "anonymity" it's a question of basic financial privacy. Do you want your inlaws asking why you and your spouse are buying contraception when they told you they want grandchildren?  Do you want your employer asking you about the charities you support with the money from your paycheck?  Do you want the Barista at the coffees shop seeing that you are wealthy— maybe pointing you out to some thuggish friends as a target? Do you want your landlord saying "I see you got a 10% raise— so I know you can afford this 5% rent hike"?, or if you are the landlord do you want your tennants seeing what the other tenants pay? Do you want your business competitors knowing what your sales volumes are? Your suppliers knowing what your markups are?

Fair, equitable,  and safe transactions require privacy at every step. Human dignity requires a degree of privacy.  When you transact poorly in Bitcoin you don't just toss your own privacy, and you don't just toss it with respect to powerful state-actor boogiemen— you lose your privacy against grandma (and everyone else), and you cause other people to suffer reduced privacy too. When you pin an name on your coins then accept some from me or pay me some, then my finances are disclosed, to some degree, by-proxy.

No other financial transaction system has privacy as poor as Bitcoin's can be with bad usage, and so if we don't act to preserve privacy in Bitcoin the lack of it will be a serious shortfall which will rightfully discourage anyone from using it.

Applaud for the so far best pitch for financial privacy.
rarkenin

Activity: 784
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 01:32:57 PM

While you do have some point on HTTPS, you point 3 is stupid.  There is no implications showing your "public" btc address.

And what if someone MITMs the page and serves you their own address?
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: