Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 06:49:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: StressCoin (Concept)  (Read 508 times)
Fife (OP)

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 01:16:56 AM

I am a programmer by no means and have been in the Crypto scene since the Bitcoin Bubble Burst. I've been mining Litecoin this last month or so because of its ease and value, although it is tied to Bitcoin way to much. When Feathercoin and CNC were released nearly everyone left LTC and caused the difficulty to go down and as soon as it did everyone flocked back after the pump and dump.

The idea of a StressCoin is to relieve pressure and difficulty off of these main alt currency's. The payout per block would have to be high, to encourage early adopters and fairly often. I was thinking a near clone in Feathercoin in that case.

The major difference which would effectively make StressCoin its own coin would be to have a lengthy difficulty retarget of ~ 2 weeks. There would be no limits to how much % increase it could be, or it would go up an extreme set amount making mining be unprofitable. This would of course have to have enough adopters to actually make a difference.

After the first initial difficulty retarget it will take roughly 2 weeks for the difficulty to drop a limitless % amount or revert back to its original difficulty of 0.

This is just something I thought of 10 minutes ago, it could work just would need to have adopters.
coinerd

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 01:22:54 AM

It seems that when you talk about difficulty adjustements in terms of time, it really means "In X number of blocks at the expected block generation rate".

So you would have to come up with a new method of recognizing difficulty reduction and performing it "on the fly" (between blocks) in every client at once in order to have the difficulty drop at your desired emergency interval.

It probably wouldn't be too hard to program in. at so many minutes after the previous block's time difficulty is adjusted by a predetermined amount?

At one point I thought there was a recovery method like this built into bitcoin, but then i found out i was wrong.

Roll Eyes
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: