Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 05:16:29 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Get Donator status by donating 10 BTC  (Read 138757 times)
Raize
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1419
Merit: 1015

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 05:02:35 AM

Do new donator statuses take into account that it only cost about $10 to $20 for some of the older donators to get their current status, and it would currently take about $800 for current people to buy the same status?

I understand you might look at it that way, but that's definitely NOT how some of us look at it. If Donator status were to be handed out to people spending only 1 BTC, I'd like my 9 BTC back.

That said, I wouldn't mind that some future categories of donation status could be made available if Donator and VIP refunds aren't going to be reimbursed and the levels lowered.

It seems silly to talk about this when the forum has more than enough in funding to take care of itself, though. We already had a slew of people donating or getting VIP status just to scam folks, I'd rather not reintroduce that and throw the forum leadership back into question like it was about a year ago.
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2013, 02:44:34 PM

It seems silly to talk about this when the forum has more than enough in funding to take care of itself, though.

+1 Good point!
camolist

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2013, 03:01:18 PM

ITT people who do not understand bitcoin

i need to buy something from these people and a few months down the road demand some btc back when value is up and see how they feel

cdog

Activity: 1036
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 15, 2013, 07:46:27 AM

Well, clearly there needs to be a new category then, like "supporter" for 1 BTC.

These forums are invaluable and no doubt the success of Bitcoin is largely due to them and the quality of the community here.
rpietila
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
April 15, 2013, 10:08:42 AM

Do new donator statuses take into account that it only cost about $10 to $20 for some of the older donators to get their current status, and it would currently take about $800 for current people to buy the same status?

I understand you might look at it that way, but that's definitely NOT how some of us look at it. If Donator status were to be handed out to people spending only 1 BTC, I'd like my 9 BTC back.

That said, I wouldn't mind that some future categories of donation status could be made available if Donator and VIP refunds aren't going to be reimbursed and the levels lowered.

It seems silly to talk about this when the forum has more than enough in funding to take care of itself, though. We already had a slew of people donating or getting VIP status just to scam folks, I'd rather not reintroduce that and throw the forum leadership back into question like it was about a year ago.

I am usually not the one who eagerly wants to spend other people's money...

... but is there any quality discussion on HOW exactly to employ the forum's/community's funds (acquired through selling the vanity tags), to the best benefit of the members and Bitcoin (which, iirc, at least 50% agree) ?

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2013, 02:01:11 PM

Well, clearly there needs to be a new category then, like "supporter" for 1 BTC.

These forums are invaluable and no doubt the success of Bitcoin is largely due to them and the quality of the community here.

Should we get a new category for 1BTC that's worth   $100, as opposed to the old 1BTC that was worth $10?

I understand your point, guys; you took a risk and paid with something that could have gone up in value a lot (as it did). But the whole "deflation" thing still really sticks out.
tysat
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1004

Keep it real

View Profile
April 15, 2013, 02:12:04 PM

There's no need for a new category, the forum doesn't need to raise any money right now.
rpietila
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
April 15, 2013, 02:16:27 PM

There's no need for a new category, the forum doesn't need to raise any money right now.

Yeah. I paid 1 billion satoshi for my donator tag, I am fine if you spend the money wisely, but I don't want the tag doled out to anyone who pays any less than a billion for it.

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2013, 02:32:02 PM

Yeah. I paid 1 billion satoshi for my donator tag, I am fine if you spend the money wisely, but I don't want the tag doled out to anyone who pays any less than a billion for it.

Are you defining bitcoin in nominal terms, instead of value/labor terms? I.e. did you pay half a paycheck for your donator status?
rpietila
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
April 15, 2013, 02:43:50 PM

Are you defining bitcoin in nominal terms, instead of value/labor terms? I.e. did you pay half a paycheck for your donator status?

One of the foundations of western legal tradition is that future pecuniary obligations are to be paid according to the face value in the currency quoted, irrespective of the real changes of the currency's purchasing power in the meantime. If this is meant to not hold true, it must be specifically mentioned in the contract.

Of course the forum can give out the tags for free if they like, but if ever its price were to be lowered to 100,000,000 or so, the minimum to retain equal terms between tagholders, would be to reimburse the BTC9 to the ones who had paid more for it. In fact this would not be a stupid thing to do, in the event that BTC10 buys you an island in the Caribbean.

Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2013, 03:10:01 PM

So why is it that people who buy iPhones for $500 don't demand a refund when the price drops in a month or two and everyone else buys it for $450?  And should they?

(Also, what contract?)
tysat
Legendary

Keep it real

View Profile
April 15, 2013, 03:12:07 PM

So why is it that people who buy iPhones for $500 don't demand a refund when the price drops in a month or two and everyone else buys it for $450?  And should they?

(Also, what contract?)

The real question is why do you want donator status so badly? 
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2013, 03:52:30 PM

(Also, what contract?)

The real question is why do you want donator status so badly? 

I personally don't. I'm just hoping to nip that whole, "Waaah, he paid a lower number than I did because the value increased, and that's not fair!" foolishness in the bud before it becomes too widespread.
It's also ironichypocritical to discuss deflation as being very unfair on a forum about a deflationary currency.
rpietila
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
April 15, 2013, 04:47:45 PM

I personally don't. I'm just hoping to nip that whole, "Waaah, he paid a lower number than I did because the value increased, and that's not fair!" foolishness in the bud before it becomes too widespread.
It's also ironichypocritical to discuss deflation as being very unfair on a forum about a deflationary currency.

Madam, you don't seem to make any sense at all.

Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2013, 05:56:27 PM

That's Countess to you, sir. Do explain what it is you find confusing.
rpietila
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
April 15, 2013, 09:24:35 PM

Milady, we are upon the deep and venerable question, whether 1 bitcoin now equals 1 bitcoin tomorrow. The western legal tradition says it does. Perhaps I do understand what you are saying, but find it humiliating to even consider lowering the price of our Most Prestigious titles, namely the Donator tag. If anything, its price should be increased to reflect the increasing readership, and heap honor upon honor of the early Donators.

Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2013, 09:31:06 PM

Milady, we are upon the deep and venerable question, whether 1 bitcoin now equals 1 bitcoin tomorrow. The western legal tradition says it does. Perhaps I do understand what you are saying, but find it humiliating to even consider lowering the price of our Most Prestigious titles, namely the Donator tag. If anything, its price should be increased to reflect the increasing readership, and heap honor upon honor of the early Donators.

In which case, your argument has nothing to do with whether the price of a donation should be adjusted due to fluctuation in bitcoin value and should not depend on the exchange of a bitcoin at all. Instead, the price of a donator tag should be based on the actual value of said tag itself. Similarly to how a golf course that used to charge $50 a month for membership when it just started up, may end up charging $30,000 a year fees for prestigious membership once it becomes successful. I can agree with that. Though I am not sure that having a donator tag grants you special access to Bitcoin's wealthy and well connected. I wouldn't know, but perhaps you can fill us in?
tysat
Legendary

Keep it real

View Profile
April 15, 2013, 11:57:53 PM

In which case, your argument has nothing to do with whether the price of a donation should be adjusted due to fluctuation in bitcoin value and should not depend on the exchange of a bitcoin at all. Instead, the price of a donator tag should be based on the actual value of said tag itself. Similarly to how a golf course that used to charge $50 a month for membership when it just started up, may end up charging $30,000 a year fees for prestigious membership once it becomes successful. I can agree with that. Though I am not sure that having a donator tag grants you special access to Bitcoin's wealthy and well connected. I wouldn't know, but perhaps you can fill us in?

Nothing special happening in the donator section.
rpietila
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 12:08:22 AM

You can buy yourself a donator tag, but everyone will still notice if you're an idiot.

theymos (OP)
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5152
Merit: 12580

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 05:49:16 AM

New VIP donator: mLiberty. Thanks!

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 »
  Print  

Jump to: