Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 02:22:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: "Google altcoin" as real-world popularity commodity exchange  (Read 443 times)
earonesty (OP)

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 12:46:19 PM

There are a number of commodities that cannot be easily traded.   Like the popularity of "game of thrones".  I was thinking of a new kind of multiple-altcoin where the algorithms scarcity is, tied to a publicly available index, rather than to productivity.   

Essentially there would be any number of "X" sub-coins.

- The source of the "Y" would be akin to a /dev/random source of entropy, coded in watered-down Lua, with the code published in the blockchain as a transaction.   Miners would then be able to support "X" as a new sub-coin.

- Execution of the "Y" algorithm generates "entropy" transactions, and these are published as well, with consensus accepted as the new value for Y.  Miners can choose which "X" they mine, and the publishing of consensus "Y" results would be tied to mining.

I haven't really thought it out to the conclusion, but the concept of publishing scripting code in the blockchain - as a general concept - is interesting to me.   As is the concept of allowing people to speculate on things like "the popularity of a tv show".

I suppose you could ditch the Lua and just use Google's popularity search as the "Y" scarcity index.   But I like the idea of making it stupidly flexible.   

Some coins would be trivial to manipulate... like "doge".   Others would be well-designed, and inspire real investment, both by miners and by traders.   

I know there are metacoins out there... but none of them seem to work, and none of them contain script-embedded stuff.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: