Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 10:49:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Wallet design..  (Read 1541 times)
skywave (OP)

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

"to endure to achieve"

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 05:07:46 PM

I don't understand why the wallets must look soooo dull..?
Nearly all of them look like something from the time of WIN3.1 decades ago - clunky and clumsy..
Couldn't they be a bit more attractive? Mind you - some of them hold fortunes  Grin
MEC made a genuine effort in making their wallet stand out a bit..
But nearly all other wallets are just plain boring - when they should each actually look different - smooth and nice - to reflect the coin they are representing..
And no - I don't think just a coin logo is enough  Wink

Radix - Just Imagine  Financial Freedom   ...coming soon, to a network near you...!
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
empoweoqwj

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 03:59:12 AM

I don't understand why the wallets must look soooo dull..?
Nearly all of them look like something from the time of WIN3.1 decades ago - clunky and clumsy..
Couldn't they be a bit more attractive? Mind you - some of them hold fortunes  Grin
MEC made a genuine effort in making their wallet stand out a bit..
But nearly all other wallets are just plain boring - when they should each actually look different - smooth and nice - to reflect the coin they are representing..
And no - I don't think just a coin logo is enough  Wink

Well to date they've been made by (unpaid) tech-heads for tech-heads, not for the "masses". This is changing. You will see much "nicer looking" wallets in 2014 on all platforms.
wumpus
qt

Activity: 812
Merit: 1022

No Maps for These Territories

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 06:40:31 AM

It is just not a priority.
You should compare it to industrial GUIs, not so much consumer ones.
Security, stability, reliability are key here, not eye candy.

I'm sure there are some very nice-looking wallets around though. But ideally you shouldn't use that as a metric but whether they store your coins safely or not.

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
empoweoqwj

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 11:03:15 AM

Not seen any good looking wallets yet. Hive is looking better on that front.

But I agree, its not top priority
skywave (OP)

Activity: 420

"to endure to achieve"

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 12:10:55 PM

Absolutely - top priority should be security - I agree..

I'll look forward to some new designs when the devs gets around to that Smiley

Radix - Just Imagine  Financial Freedom   ...coming soon, to a network near you...!
Abdussamad
Legendary

Activity: 3612
Merit: 1564

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 12:46:47 PM

devs don't do design. If you are a graphic designer/ui designer then lend a hand. You will be welcomed with open arms.
empoweoqwj

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 02:25:32 PM

devs don't do design. If you are a graphic designer/ui designer then lend a hand. You will be welcomed with open arms.

Money talks. And hive are getting investment right now. No reason for secure wallets to look ugly. Just like you say. Devs don't do design generally.
thesouljourner

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 07:26:49 PM

Another problem is that many of the wallets are multi-platform, and that means using cross platform gui tools like gtk or java... which generally look significantly crappier than native applications.  I think what is likely to happen is that the cross platform backends (like bitcoind) will get native OS frontends that look and behave like native applications (or even better). 

Also, right now, since almost all the wallets are open source and free, there's not a lot of economic pressure on developers to make their wallets pretty.
deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1028

View Profile WWW
December 23, 2013, 07:51:03 PM

The more stylish you make something, the sooner it looks ridiculously out-of-style.

Compare with Qt:

empoweoqwj

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 04:06:45 AM

Another problem is that many of the wallets are multi-platform, and that means using cross platform gui tools like gtk or java... which generally look significantly crappier than native applications.  I think what is likely to happen is that the cross platform backends (like bitcoind) will get native OS frontends that look and behave like native applications (or even better). 

Also, right now, since almost all the wallets are open source and free, there's not a lot of economic pressure on developers to make their wallets pretty.

True enough. Hive is going to be OSX only I believe, hence it will look nice(r), and stylised to suit the Mac. They have plans to monetise it somehow, can't remember how though ...
wumpus
qt

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 10:17:50 AM

The more stylish you make something, the sooner it looks ridiculously out-of-style.
Good point.
Qt is very conservative in looks, but it also means that we don't have to worry about a new 'hip' design each year (so, is this the trend of the day skeumorphism or even flatter design, oh and of course people on different platforms expect different 'looks', oh all the shed painting...).

And it's a great widget library; all kinds of widgets are available, it's pretty easy to develop for without having to roll everything yourself (with all the additional testing and maintenance that entails).

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
SprichtZarathustra

Activity: 44
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 10:40:07 AM

Well it hasn't been priority, but could mean a next step in crypto, esp. for the alt-coins.
BIL is the first to try something in the form of a integrated wallet chat client. Sadly it's
not really used.

I can imagine something similar for coins like SXC; integrated webcamstuff, integrated webshop.

More and more functions that are now browser-based could be transported to wallet-based functions.
I think this will be a key step for most alt-coins to ensure long-term existence. Without usability there
will be no need to use alt-coins over BTC. But if they would have their own uses... integrated in the wallet,
who knows?
empoweoqwj

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 10:56:11 AM

Good point.
Qt is very conservative in looks, but it also means that we don't have to worry about a new 'hip' design each year (so, is this the trend of the day skeumorphism or even flatter design, oh and of course people on different platforms expect different 'looks', oh all the shed painting...).

And it's a great widget library; all kinds of widgets are available, it's pretty easy to develop for without having to roll everything yourself (with all the additional testing and maintenance that entails).

If you are developing a Mac app, you just have to keep up to date with the current dev tools to stay "current".

We don't all want Java or Windows 3.1 apps you know.
wumpus
qt

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 11:02:05 AM

If you are developing a Mac app, you just have to keep up to date with the current dev tools to stay "current".

Personally, I don't care at all what you want Smiley

This is open source software, contributions are welcome, scratch your own itch.

empoweoqwj

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 11:05:19 AM

Personally, I don't care at all what you want Smiley

This is open source software, contributions are welcome, scratch your own itch.

Can be open source *and* pure OSX, free market  Smiley
PBmining

Activity: 378

View Profile WWW
December 24, 2013, 06:56:23 PM

I agree.  Bitcoin wallets still lack the appeal needed to satisfy the average person.  The importance of looks is bigger than most of us realize. 

Did you know?: Most of our hash power comes from other sources.  We are now specialized in the resale of cloudmining contracts through our associates!
acegilz

Activity: 211
Merit: 100

1ACEGiLZnZoG7KUNkMwAT8tBuJ6jsrwj5Q

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 04:33:05 AM

make a paperwallet using hologram from bitcoinpaperwallet. very stylish Tongue
Abdussamad
Legendary

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 05:12:21 AM

I agree.  Bitcoin wallets still lack the appeal needed to satisfy the average person.  The importance of looks is bigger than most of us realize. 

Average person does not use bitcoin. Average bitcoin user keeps coins in an exchange or at blockchain.info.
empoweoqwj

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 05:21:01 AM

Average person does not use bitcoin. Average bitcoin user keeps coins in an exchange or at blockchain.info.

I think you mean to say "Average person does not use wallet".

But anyway, I think that is largely true. Let's educate them Smiley
Abdussamad
Legendary

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 06:38:55 AM

No I meant what I wrote. Most people haven't heard of bitcoin yet and they don't use it. There are surveys floating around if you want to look it up.
empoweoqwj

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 07:15:33 AM

No I meant what I wrote. Most people haven't heard of bitcoin yet and they don't use it. There are surveys floating around if you want to look it up.

Apologies.

Still, back to the point, when people do get round to using bitcoins, and if they choose wallets, the wallets should look like modern apps, not Windows 3.1 apps or horrible Java apps
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: