Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 04:17:28 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is doge dying off?  (Read 8907 times)
hvezdasmrti

Activity: 797
Merit: 251

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 08:57:48 PM

Look at the history of ADT and you will see the future of DOGE.
haters gonna hate

same shit every time, there is a new train and they will miss it, they blame the coin lmao

The problem is:

Doge has nothing new. And a meme gets old very quickly. It gets really annoying.

Litecoin was something new, different. Quark was something new. Dogecoin, Catcoin, Kittiecoin, Hotcoin, Earthcoin, ... all are the same.
The same codebase, just a few parameters adjusted.

Miners like me jump on this coins to make big profits during the first days/weeks and then dump after the coin hits an exchange. Go to the next coin and repeat.
I don't care about the buyers. I just want more return than mining litecoin. Simple as that. And all with rigs bigger than 10 MH/s think the same. It's about profit, not believe. We don't care about the future of a coin, we care about the return. As long as the return is much bigger than the electricity cost, we will mine the shit out of every crapcoin.

I dumped 50% of my Memorycoin 2.0 earnings. I mined less than 1 day on release day -> return nearly 1 bitcoin!
For what? Doing nothing. Somebody has to lose money if I earn something. It's not fair, but it's the same with every altcoin -> scam some newbies.

Psst dont say it too loud, sheeps may read that  Wink
And its not about doing nothing, i must read shitloads of useless topics until i find some reliable informations like: where are new coins, how to mine them as fast as possible and how big is its community (and at what price to sell, its the hardest thing to predict, selling too early or too late = kicking into head).

In Pump and Dump we trust.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 08:57:57 PM

all those shitty altcoin are here because of asic, blame it, they made bitcoin mining centralized

btc mining should have stayed with gpu

also people are really mad cuz they have missed the btc train

ASIC has not made Bitcoin mining centralized at all, it's just that so many people actually know about mining now that the competition makes it impossible to mine as a get rich quick scheme.

Putting together a good GPU rig back when difficulty justified it cost just as much if not more than an ASIC unit today.

gpu would have taken many years to rise the difficulty at such level
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
December 25, 2013, 08:58:18 PM

all those shitty altcoin are here because of asic, blame it, they made bitcoin mining centralized

btc mining should have stayed with gpu

also people are really mad cuz they have missed the btc train

ASIC has not made Bitcoin mining centralized at all, it's just that so many people actually know about mining now that the competition makes it impossible to mine as a get rich quick scheme.

Putting together a good GPU rig back when difficulty justified it cost just as much if not more than an ASIC unit today.

True except for the impossibility of getting rich quick. One can still rake in CoiLedCoin and GeistGeld hand-over-fist and might even have a full year to do it still like the BBQcoin folks had to CPU-mine BBQ before the masses caught on and those CPU-miners got rich.

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
Pangia

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 09:24:21 PM

Dogecoin, an alt-coin that hasn't been around even for a month yet was mentioned by the Reserved Bank of India (warning letter )  http://rbidocs.rbi.org.in/rdocs/PressRelease/PDFs/IEPR1261VC1213.pdf?a

This is impressive that such recognition can occur for a coin that's only been on a few exchanges for days.

Why is there such attention drawn to Dogecoin? Becaue Dogecoin has what NO OTHER coin (including Bitcoin) has. Read on...

DOGECOIN WILL SUCCEED BECAUSE IT POSSESSES "CRYPTO-PATHOS", SOMETHING THAT NO OTHER COIN HAS

A few days ago I was driving my daughter to school. She’s aware of my interest in crypto-currencies since I’m usually rambling on about Bitcoin every now and then. I mentioned to her about a new coin called Dogecoin and when I mentioned its origins to her, the first response I got was a smile and then a “for real”. She knew about the meme and the 2013 award, but not about the coin. Her smile got me thinking and reminded me of a course I took a few years back.

Just a little background:
I have always aspired to hold a specific elected office in my City (NYC) and in preparation I pursued my Master’s in Public Administration at Harvard University (Kennedy School of Government). Most of the courses that I took were extremely interesting and centered around policy and politics of course as well as a few courses on public speaking, running campaigns, organizing groups and even one called “The Making of a Politician”—which actually prepared you for office. But by far, the most interesting course I took at the Kennedy School was one that was very difficult to enroll in. This course was called “Persuasion: The Science and Art of Effective Influence” and was taught by Dr. Gary Orren. http://www.hks.harvard.edu/degrees/teaching-courses/course-listing/mld-342

Students from every Harvard school (Gov’t, Law, Education, Divinity, etc.) had to essentially use a bidding system to enroll in this course. Students from M.I.T. were also permitted to enroll in this course. I had saved my bidding points from the prior semester because I had heard that this was an exceptional course.

On my first day in class Dr. Orren gave us an overview of the course and what to expect. During his presentation he mentioned that many years back a young man named Barack Obama sat (pointed to the seat) right near the middle of the class room and took the same course. One of my classmates leaned over mentioned that President Obama had once said that this was one of his favorite courses while attending Harvard. When making speeches, President Obama often follows the models taught at the Kennedy School (his lead speech writer – Cody Keenan is also a Harvard Kennedy School graduate). I’m just trying to reveal how truly impressive this course was, but I think I’m rambling on. Let’s get to the point.

So in this course in addition to several other things, we learned that in order to persuade someone to agree with you, do it your way, follow you, move in a direction you desire, etc., (important in the politics & policy world) there needs to be three elements that form a foundation; the logos, ethos and pathos. Aristotle was the philosopher who put forward that idea. Rather than dig out my notes I’m going to cheat and cut and paste descriptions of the three elements. These descriptions were found on a webpage http://courses.durhamtech.edu/perkins/aris.html

Ethos (Credibility), or ethical appeal, means convincing by the character of the author (or of the crypto in our case). We tend to believe people whom we respect. One of the central problems of argumentation is to project an impression to the reader that you are someone worth listening to, in other words making yourself as author into an authority on the subject of the paper, as well as someone who is likable and worthy of respect. Crypt-currencies have established their Ethos, we know that it is legitimate. We believe in it.

Logos (Logical) means persuading by the use of reasoning. Giving reasons is the heart of argumentation, and cannot be emphasized enough. Crypto-currencies are logical to user over other payment methods for a variety of reasons.

Pathos (Emotional) means persuading by appealing to the reader's emotions. Language choice affects the audience's emotional response, and emotional appeal can effectively be used to enhance an argument. Excluding Dogecoin, all other Crypto-currencies lack Pathos.

Now finally to my point:
When I speak of persuasion going forward, what I am speaking of is the ability to win over people and get them to engage in the use of a crypto-currency. And I’m not speaking of the IT person or other tech savvy individual who is most likely well aware of crypto-currencies. Instead, I’m speaking of the average person.

If we examine Bitcoin, Litecoin and the myriad of other cryptographic-currencies we can see that they definitely contain two of the three elements needed to be successful in persuading someone to “agree” with them (use them). The two elements that Bitcoin and alt-coins possess are Logos and Ethos.
Crypto-Ethos – I don’t think that I need to go too much into this. But if you understand crypto, then you’ll know crypto can be trusted. Crypto is trustworthy, you can believe it.
Crypto-Logos – if you have a basic understanding of how crypto-currencies work, then you’ll understand the logical benefits that it can offer. Credits cards weren’t meant to be used on the internet and the 21st century needs a new form of digital currency and crypto is the answer.
So to sum things up, there are logical reasons to use crypto-currencies and crypto is trustworthy.
The Crypto-Pathos is missing though. (until Dogecoin)
Most people that I know who currently use crypto-currencies aren’t drawn to it by emotions. Instead, they understand its financial utility which is based on its logos and ethos.

The IT world and entrepreneurs who understand crypto-currencies are only a very small group, so how could you engage the masses to use crypto?

The answer to that is to create a crypto-currency that has all three elements to persuade them to use it. And along came Dogecoin. Let's look at it from another perspective ---- Real Wrestling versus WWF Wrestling (now WWE Wrestling - fake on TV). Which one of these draws a larger audience? WWE Wrestling of course. We all know (well most of us) that it's fictitious, so why then does WWE Wrestling draw millions of viewers from around the world, as opposed to real wrestling that's just plain boring? Because WWE (fake wrestling) with all its drama, has the emotional appeal that can move an audience to want see it more.

Every other Crypto is like real wrestling - gets the job done but is basic and boring. Dogecoin also gets the job done, but brings a flare to the technology that a broader audience can embrace through its emotional appeal.
With Dogecoin, there is a story to tell. One that can make you smile. Excluding Bitcoin (the father of all Crypto) what coin has a story to tell the audience that is emotionally appealing (make you smile, laugh, cry, etc.) I love Litecoin but what story can it tell an audience about itself other than the technological aspects of its use?

Like Bitcoin and other crypto, Dogecoin has a burgeoning community and its acceptance is growing. It has a language all of its own. Dogecoin has the emotional appeal that can and will attract the masses.

Dogecoin is a pioneer in its use of an emotional appeal to attract a larger audience and its success won’t be specific to itself. Similar to how Bitcoin paved the way for other crypto-currencies to follow, Dogecoin is paving the way for others to follow as well. Dogecoin is Bitcoin 2.0.
There will be many other coins to follow in Dogecoin’s footstep that will utilize all 3 of the elements necessary to motivate non-tech people to embrace these types of currencies and I think that Dogecoin is off to a great start because it possess all of the technological aspects of Bitcoin but has the ability to make the average person smile. Can any other crypto-currency do that?

TLDR: (This TLDR was written by Mattopia from BitcoinTalk)
We use dollars, euros, etc because it's the financial instrument we are given. You need a compelling reason to "buy into" a new idea or concept, particularly one so different than what we are used to. The utility is easy to understand, but the "Crypto-Pathos" might just be the added warm and fuzzy that will nudge to general adoption of a coin - be it Doge or whatever. Any current digital currency is unlikely to become a primary, mass-adopted currency in a sea of them as a default. No government is likely to embrace and adopt them, but the masses just might.

▄████▄
         ▄████████▄
       ▄████████████▄
     ▄████████████████▄
    ████████████████████      ▄█▄                 ▄███▄                 ▄███▄                 ▄████████████████▀   ▄██████████

▄▄▄▀█████▀▄▄▄▄▀█████▀▄▄▄     ▀██▄             ▄██▀ ▀██▄             ▄██▀ ▀██▄             ▄██▀                   ██
▄█████▄▀▀▀▄██████▄▀▀▀▄█████▄     ▀██▄         ▄██▀     ▀██▄         ▄██▀     ▀██▄         ▄██▀        ▄█▄          ▀██████████████▄
████████████████████████████       ▀██▄     ▄██▀         ▀██▄     ▄██▀         ▀██▄     ▄██▀          ▀█▀                        ██
 ▀████████████████████████▀          ▀██▄ ▄██▀             ▀██▄ ▄██▀     ▄█▄     ▀██▄ ▄██▀                                       ██
   ▀████████████████████▀              ▀███▀                 ▀███▀       ▀█▀       ▀███▀      ▄███████████████████████████████████▀
     ▀████████████████▀
       ▀████████████▀
         ▀████████▀
           ▀████▀
║║

║║

║║
██
║║

║║
██
║║
║║

║║
markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 25, 2013, 09:26:34 PM

Pathotic. Wink

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
victzhang

Activity: 193
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 09:30:32 PM

Quark has something new. Lel.

It is still a scam, but the codebase is completly different. Watch yourself. But probably you can't even code...

clone of primecoin

No, Quark has its unique algorithm (different from Primecoin, although they both claim CPU mining). Many coins are cloning Quark.
greenlion

Activity: 667
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 26, 2013, 02:09:42 AM

It is still a scam, but the codebase is completly different. Watch yourself. But probably you can't even code...

clone of primecoin

No, Quark has its unique algorithm (different from Primecoin, although they both claim CPU mining). Many coins are cloning Quark.

Quark's "unique algorithm" basically consists of throwing as much feces as you can at the wall and seeing what sticks!

Seriously, 9 rounds of hashing 6 different algorithms may sound impressive on paper, but it does not solve either of the two stated design goals in reality. For example, the supposed resistance to FPGA / ASIC implementations is a complete fairytale, because nothing about the proof of work imposes a tradeoff due to memory bandwidth constraints whatsoever. The FPGA / ASIC resistance basically comes from the fact that nobody actually cares about Quark!
Mr. Gabu

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 26, 2013, 02:36:45 AM

http://bitcoinmagazine.com/9109/will-dogecoin-replace-bitcoin/

Just read this article, autor says for DOGE (or any alt) to survive and live it needs:

- gambling sites
- community
- devs
- black market
- a DogeCoin Jesus

Doge has lots of gambling sites, already the biggest altcommunity. Look how jealous these LiteCoin fans are already.
Doge has devs dedicated to the coin and more people comming in an sending in patches on GitHub.

A Doge Black Market is already announced (see Doge Road thread), so the only point that is missing is the DogeCoin Jesus.

How could it be?
markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 26, 2013, 02:42:10 AM
Last edit: December 26, 2013, 03:26:00 AM by markm

clone of primecoin

Quark's "unique algorithm" basically consists of throwing as much feces as you can at the wall and seeing what sticks!

Seriously, 9 rounds of hashing 6 different algorithms may sound impressive on paper, but it does not solve either of the two stated design goals in reality. For example, the supposed resistance to FPGA / ASIC implementations is a complete fairytale, because nothing about the proof of work imposes a tradeoff due to memory bandwidth constraints whatsoever. The FPGA / ASIC resistance basically comes from the fact that nobody actually cares about Quark!

It might make their own ASICs expensive to design and manufacture, maybe, but I guess in the process they'll need to find or develop intellectual property for making ASIC circuitry for a number of different types of hashing, so maybe their ASIC development arm will make fortunes selling ASICs for all those different types of hashing to other people who want to start up a coin, so that it will no longer be necessary to launch a coin that uses a hashing not used yet before having ASICs for mining that coin already hitting the retail stores the same day the coin is launched or, maybe better, a day or few before the coin is launched.

"Get ready to camp in line outside The Source consumer-electronics shop folks, Good Friday the ASICs go on sale, Easter Sunday the key to decode the encrypted genesis block included with the source code goes on sale! Those of you buying pre-compiled clients, your client will decrypt the genesis block automatically as soon as you tell it the key!"

-MarkM-

BitcoinTate

Activity: 224

DigiByte Founder

View Profile
December 26, 2013, 02:50:43 AM

I dumped all my Doge right after I mined it. This coin was a joke from the start. I feel bad for people who are actually buying in to it right now.

- aka The "DigiMan"
mashac

Activity: 560

View Profile
December 26, 2013, 02:56:07 AM

I dumped all my Doge right after I mined it. This coin was a joke from the start. I feel bad for people who are actually buying in to it right now.

Yeah, what ever. Roll Eyes
kalus

Activity: 420
Merit: 263

let's make a deal.

View Profile
December 26, 2013, 03:22:25 AM

most of the multipools are spending a significant amount of their days hashing dogecoin.  for the past week, dogecoin has been in the top 5 in terms of profitability.  If you are not mining/transacting dogecoin you're making less than you should right now. 

I am not as rich as you, so i have to mine the most profitable coin. 

DC2ngEGbd1ZUKyj8aSzrP1W5TXs5WmPuiR wow need noms
BitcoinTate

DigiByte Founder

View Profile
December 26, 2013, 03:29:42 AM

most of the multipools are spending a significant amount of their days hashing dogecoin.  for the past week, dogecoin has been in the top 5 in terms of profitability.  If you are not mining/transacting dogecoin you're making less than you should right now. 

I'm mining Earthcoin, Worldcoin, Sexcoin & Casinocoin at the moment. I think they hold the most value for mining currently.

- aka The "DigiMan"
kalus

let's make a deal.

View Profile
December 26, 2013, 03:43:35 AM

I'm mining Earthcoin, Worldcoin, Sexcoin & Casinocoin at the moment. I think they hold the most value for mining currently.
i happen to think that dogecoin currently has good return for my hash rate.

we just differ in opinion as to what to mine.  no reason to 'feel bad' for people that want to mine or own dogecoin.  

BitcoinTate

DigiByte Founder

View Profile
December 26, 2013, 03:48:11 AM

i happen to think that dogecoin currently has good return for my hash rate.

we just differ in opinion as to what to mine.  no reason to 'feel bad' for people that want to mine or own dogecoin.  
To each his own. If you are mining and dumping coins each day for BTC or LTC I understand why you would want to mine Doge. For me I like to mine coins to support their growth and longevity because I believe in their potential.

- aka The "DigiMan"
markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 26, 2013, 04:00:36 AM

To each his own. If you are mining and dumping coins each day for BTC or LTC I understand why you would want to mine Doge. For me I like to mine coins to support their growth and longevity because I believe in their potential.

And yet you pick a bunch of doomed losers?

Well maybe not. Are they all using the same type of hashing so that even just among themselves the fact that there are three or more of them means you know with absolute mathematical certainty that at least two of the four must, necessarily, have less than half the hash-rate?

Or are they using different forms of hashing to secure themselves, so that you have picked, from each type of hashing, the coin that you believe will have the highest hashrate among coins of that type?

To me at a glance with my poor recollections of the details of each (due to my initial examination of them long ago having caused me to add them to the "crapcoin" category), it looked like maybe at least three of them all use scrypt, therefore that at least one of them mathematically must have less than half of the scrypt hashrate?

So what are they, the number one hashrate, the numberr two hashrate, and the number three hashrate?

I doubt it because none of them are on Vircurex, and I think the three or so on Vircurex include some of the highest hashrate ones.

So how do you plan to secure even one of your picks? Buy more scrypt ASICs than almost any normal person, basically going into the busienss of being a massive major scrypt-ASIC-mining farm? Dedicated to securing one of those three or four coins?

Or do you plan to switch your super-massive scrypt mining farm to any other coin any time it looks like you'd make more profit per day gangbanging some other chain than spending all your electricity trying to secure whichever one of your current picks you end up deciding is worth dedicating such a huge farm to?

Or what?

-MarkM-

Francisdoge

Activity: 38
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 26, 2013, 05:08:17 AM

[/quote]

And yet you pick a bunch of doomed losers?

Well maybe not. Are they all using the same type of hashing so that even just among themselves the fact that there are three or more of them means you know with absolute mathematical certainty that at least two of the four must, necessarily, have less than half the hash-rate?

Or are they using different forms of hashing to secure themselves, so that you have picked, from each type of hashing, the coin that you believe will have the highest hashrate among coins of that type?

To me at a glance with my poor recollections of the details of each (due to my initial examination of them long ago having caused me to add them to the "crapcoin" category), it looked like maybe at least three of them all use scrypt, therefore that at least one of them mathematically must have less than half of the scrypt hashrate?

So what are they, the number one hashrate, the numberr two hashrate, and the number three hashrate?

I doubt it because none of them are on Vircurex, and I think the three or so on Vircurex include some of the highest hashrate ones.

So how do you plan to secure even one of your picks? Buy more scrypt ASICs than almost any normal person, basically going into the busienss of being a massive major scrypt-ASIC-mining farm? Dedicated to securing one of those three or four coins?

Or do you plan to switch your super-massive scrypt mining farm to any other coin any time it looks like you'd make more profit per day gangbanging some other chain than spending all your electricity trying to secure whichever one of your current picks you end up deciding is worth dedicating such a huge farm to?

Or what?

-MarkM-

What are your expectations for dogecoin ?

kalus

let's make a deal.

View Profile
December 26, 2013, 05:18:43 AM

I don't think longevity is necessarily an issue if you have a proper exit strategy for short term investment.  not all investments are to be held on to the bitter end; that strategy would end up costing a lot of money in the long run.  

know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em.  

markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 26, 2013, 05:23:14 AM
Last edit: December 27, 2013, 11:03:26 AM by markm

What are your expectations for dogecoin ?

Scrypt ASICs if anyone actually wants to secure the thing; then, not an expection but a how to that maybe no one will bother with: upholding the exchange rate as described earlier in this thread or the other DOGE thread that has been bumping to the first page all day.

I do not have enough capital myself to do Ceilingdoge's job for him; I still do not have enough lowball buy offers on the DVC/BTC orderbook yet to absorb all 200,000,000 DeVCoins minted each month let alone all that have already been minted, and even once that is done DOGE might not necessarily be the next coin I will be supporting in that way. (For one thing, it is not part of the merged mined family; for another DVC is only one out of seven child-chains in the family so there is lots left to do just to support those...)

By then maybe we will see which scrypt coins are able to merged mined as primary chain and which of those can only be primary, and which are able to be child chains; and which are the two most difficult scrypt coins since number three is guaranteed to have less than half the hash-rate so maybe only the top two are all we need (why would we need one that is definitely less than half, except as the one to de-list to tidy up an exchange to keep it listing only the best coins? I am still wondering how long it will take for Vircurex to figure out which one to drop to make room for DOGE, hoping it is not going to just keep adding any one that manages to temporarily jump to number two or three thus end up full of junkcoins like all the scam-central exchanges that specialise in picking up each day's new scams...)

-MarkM-

Kergekoin

Activity: 546

View Profile
December 26, 2013, 02:30:14 PM

Im sorry for quoting this, but those are exactly my thoughts as well. Nice post Pangia!

Dogecoin, an alt-coin that hasn't been around even for a month yet was mentioned by the Reserved Bank of India (warning letter )  http://rbidocs.rbi.org.in/rdocs/PressRelease/PDFs/IEPR1261VC1213.pdf?a

This is impressive that such recognition can occur for a coin that's only been on a few exchanges for days.

Why is there such attention drawn to Dogecoin? Becaue Dogecoin has what NO OTHER coin (including Bitcoin) has. Read on...

DOGECOIN WILL SUCCEED BECAUSE IT POSSESSES "CRYPTO-PATHOS", SOMETHING THAT NO OTHER COIN HAS

A few days ago I was driving my daughter to school. She’s aware of my interest in crypto-currencies since I’m usually rambling on about Bitcoin every now and then. I mentioned to her about a new coin called Dogecoin and when I mentioned its origins to her, the first response I got was a smile and then a “for real”. She knew about the meme and the 2013 award, but not about the coin. Her smile got me thinking and reminded me of a course I took a few years back.

Just a little background:
I have always aspired to hold a specific elected office in my City (NYC) and in preparation I pursued my Master’s in Public Administration at Harvard University (Kennedy School of Government). Most of the courses that I took were extremely interesting and centered around policy and politics of course as well as a few courses on public speaking, running campaigns, organizing groups and even one called “The Making of a Politician”—which actually prepared you for office. But by far, the most interesting course I took at the Kennedy School was one that was very difficult to enroll in. This course was called “Persuasion: The Science and Art of Effective Influence” and was taught by Dr. Gary Orren. http://www.hks.harvard.edu/degrees/teaching-courses/course-listing/mld-342

Students from every Harvard school (Gov’t, Law, Education, Divinity, etc.) had to essentially use a bidding system to enroll in this course. Students from M.I.T. were also permitted to enroll in this course. I had saved my bidding points from the prior semester because I had heard that this was an exceptional course.

On my first day in class Dr. Orren gave us an overview of the course and what to expect. During his presentation he mentioned that many years back a young man named Barack Obama sat (pointed to the seat) right near the middle of the class room and took the same course. One of my classmates leaned over mentioned that President Obama had once said that this was one of his favorite courses while attending Harvard. When making speeches, President Obama often follows the models taught at the Kennedy School (his lead speech writer – Cody Keenan is also a Harvard Kennedy School graduate). I’m just trying to reveal how truly impressive this course was, but I think I’m rambling on. Let’s get to the point.

So in this course in addition to several other things, we learned that in order to persuade someone to agree with you, do it your way, follow you, move in a direction you desire, etc., (important in the politics & policy world) there needs to be three elements that form a foundation; the logos, ethos and pathos. Aristotle was the philosopher who put forward that idea. Rather than dig out my notes I’m going to cheat and cut and paste descriptions of the three elements. These descriptions were found on a webpage http://courses.durhamtech.edu/perkins/aris.html

Ethos (Credibility), or ethical appeal, means convincing by the character of the author (or of the crypto in our case). We tend to believe people whom we respect. One of the central problems of argumentation is to project an impression to the reader that you are someone worth listening to, in other words making yourself as author into an authority on the subject of the paper, as well as someone who is likable and worthy of respect. Crypt-currencies have established their Ethos, we know that it is legitimate. We believe in it.

Logos (Logical) means persuading by the use of reasoning. Giving reasons is the heart of argumentation, and cannot be emphasized enough. Crypto-currencies are logical to user over other payment methods for a variety of reasons.

Pathos (Emotional) means persuading by appealing to the reader's emotions. Language choice affects the audience's emotional response, and emotional appeal can effectively be used to enhance an argument. Excluding Dogecoin, all other Crypto-currencies lack Pathos.

Now finally to my point:
When I speak of persuasion going forward, what I am speaking of is the ability to win over people and get them to engage in the use of a crypto-currency. And I’m not speaking of the IT person or other tech savvy individual who is most likely well aware of crypto-currencies. Instead, I’m speaking of the average person.

If we examine Bitcoin, Litecoin and the myriad of other cryptographic-currencies we can see that they definitely contain two of the three elements needed to be successful in persuading someone to “agree” with them (use them). The two elements that Bitcoin and alt-coins possess are Logos and Ethos.
Crypto-Ethos – I don’t think that I need to go too much into this. But if you understand crypto, then you’ll know crypto can be trusted. Crypto is trustworthy, you can believe it.
Crypto-Logos – if you have a basic understanding of how crypto-currencies work, then you’ll understand the logical benefits that it can offer. Credits cards weren’t meant to be used on the internet and the 21st century needs a new form of digital currency and crypto is the answer.
So to sum things up, there are logical reasons to use crypto-currencies and crypto is trustworthy.
The Crypto-Pathos is missing though. (until Dogecoin)
Most people that I know who currently use crypto-currencies aren’t drawn to it by emotions. Instead, they understand its financial utility which is based on its logos and ethos.

The IT world and entrepreneurs who understand crypto-currencies are only a very small group, so how could you engage the masses to use crypto?

The answer to that is to create a crypto-currency that has all three elements to persuade them to use it. And along came Dogecoin. Let's look at it from another perspective ---- Real Wrestling versus WWF Wrestling (now WWE Wrestling - fake on TV). Which one of these draws a larger audience? WWE Wrestling of course. We all know (well most of us) that it's fictitious, so why then does WWE Wrestling draw millions of viewers from around the world, as opposed to real wrestling that's just plain boring? Because WWE (fake wrestling) with all its drama, has the emotional appeal that can move an audience to want see it more.

Every other Crypto is like real wrestling - gets the job done but is basic and boring. Dogecoin also gets the job done, but brings a flare to the technology that a broader audience can embrace through its emotional appeal.
With Dogecoin, there is a story to tell. One that can make you smile. Excluding Bitcoin (the father of all Crypto) what coin has a story to tell the audience that is emotionally appealing (make you smile, laugh, cry, etc.) I love Litecoin but what story can it tell an audience about itself other than the technological aspects of its use?

Like Bitcoin and other crypto, Dogecoin has a burgeoning community and its acceptance is growing. It has a language all of its own. Dogecoin has the emotional appeal that can and will attract the masses.

Dogecoin is a pioneer in its use of an emotional appeal to attract a larger audience and its success won’t be specific to itself. Similar to how Bitcoin paved the way for other crypto-currencies to follow, Dogecoin is paving the way for others to follow as well. Dogecoin is Bitcoin 2.0.
There will be many other coins to follow in Dogecoin’s footstep that will utilize all 3 of the elements necessary to motivate non-tech people to embrace these types of currencies and I think that Dogecoin is off to a great start because it possess all of the technological aspects of Bitcoin but has the ability to make the average person smile. Can any other crypto-currency do that?

TLDR: (This TLDR was written by Mattopia from BitcoinTalk)
We use dollars, euros, etc because it's the financial instrument we are given. You need a compelling reason to "buy into" a new idea or concept, particularly one so different than what we are used to. The utility is easy to understand, but the "Crypto-Pathos" might just be the added warm and fuzzy that will nudge to general adoption of a coin - be it Doge or whatever. Any current digital currency is unlikely to become a primary, mass-adopted currency in a sea of them as a default. No government is likely to embrace and adopt them, but the masses just might.

******  NB! The links below are affiliate - friend type links, which bring additional benefits both, to you and me  ******
Binance - Best Crypto Trading Platform          CoinBase - Fastest way from FIAT to Crypto
Windscribe - The quickest and easyest way to secure and anonymize your internet traffic
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: