Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 08:38:58 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Best PCIE Riser - Expanders  (Read 566 times)
michnern (OP)

Activity: 35
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 25, 2017, 07:52:45 AM

I've been reading about which PCIE riser / expanders are best. So far, it seems like the consensus is that they should have 4 capacitors and a voltage regulator. If anyone has a specific link to a brand on Amazon that would be great.

I would like one with all 3 power connectors (6 pin, molex and sata) just so I have options.

I found this one and would like an opinion:
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B076P61RHY/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A3778J1E7DK9XF&psc=1

It has 4 solid capacitors and what I'm thinking is a voltage regulator.

Also, I don't have enough 6 pin connectors with my Corsair power supply ( 3 x 2 six pin connectors for a total of 6)... Is it OK to power the PCIE off the SATA connector since I have a bunch of those? I've heard the SATA to molex adapters can melt, so I'd stay away from those and just use the SATA cables that came with my Corsair PS.

Thanks,
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Uchiiha-madara

Activity: 32

View Profile
December 25, 2017, 11:49:06 AM

I bought mine from www.mintcell.com      6 x risers ver 008s
they are working great for me with no errors or problems
also you can buy them from amazon under the brand name mintcell  ver 008s
i did not try the other brands but i guess that any riser with the 4 capacitors and the regulator should also
work fine
michnern (OP)

View Profile
December 25, 2017, 03:15:42 PM

Awesome...  Yeah, the ones I posted in the Amazon.ca link are exactly the same ones as the mintcell link you posted.... 008S... Perfect!

Merry Christmas.... Happy Holidays or whatever you celebrate, I hope you all have a wonderful day! Smiley
michnern (OP)

View Profile
December 25, 2017, 06:26:09 PM

Hmmmmmm.... Just noticed on the PCIE board that the USB connector is horizontal, not vertical and I've read online that it interferes with the adjacent PCIE 1x slots on the Asus B250 motherboard.... Any other suggestions for good PCIE risers that have a vertical receptical for the USB connector on the motherboard?

Thanks,
michnern (OP)

View Profile
December 25, 2017, 06:50:29 PM

Thinking it's going to be this one now.... 4 capacitors and a voltage regulator with vertical USB on the MB.

https://mintcell.com/6-pack-of-pci-e-1x-to-16x-powered-riser-card-w-6-pin-pci-e-power-enhanced-power-conditioning/

The only thing is the SATA power end that makes me a bit nervous as I've heard bad things about the SATA power adapters that are injection molded (can burn).

Thoughts?
gt_addict

Activity: 2492
Merit: 621

View Profile
December 25, 2017, 07:16:22 PM

Mintrcell are a good brand. Avoid the sata only powered ones if you can. And avoid using sata to 6pin adaptors too.

**SUPPORT SIDEHACK** Miner Development Donations to:  1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr

Donations/Tips to:-   1GTADDicTXD1uachKKgW24DZDxDGhSMdRa

Join Bitconnect: https://bitconnect.co/?ref=gtaddict
Uchiiha-madara

Activity: 32

View Profile
December 30, 2017, 08:04:21 AM

I am powering my risers with the sata cable directly from the power supply and it is working fine so far for
more than 1 month with no problems , mintcell risers are nice
VyprBTC

Activity: 350
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 30, 2017, 08:14:20 AM

Mintrcell are a good brand. Avoid the sata only powered ones if you can. And avoid using sata to 6pin adaptors too.

Been using 6pin/sata adapters for a year with 1080 Ti's - and oh yeah, I have 2 1080's per sata strand - not a single problem.

So I'm calling FUD on this one. Proven not an issue by personal experience.
bigjee

Activity: 434
Merit: 107

View Profile
December 30, 2017, 10:04:59 AM

Been using 6pin/sata adapters for a year with 1080 Ti's - and oh yeah, I have 2 1080's per sata strand - not a single problem.

So I'm calling FUD on this one. Proven not an issue by personal experience.

Definitely not fud.
Personal experience here even 2 molex per strand didnt hold up and burnt the psu connector on this 1000w psu.
Cards connected to risers were RX 570. (Click image to enlarge)
Sirixs

Activity: 1

View Profile
May 15, 2018, 07:23:15 AM

Have used over 100 set of Mailiya risers. All works great.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: