Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 02:11:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Should the  Alternate cryptocurrencies board be split into subforums?  (Voting closed: January 06, 2014, 08:47:21 AM)
Yes, by Release Date - 19 (33.9%)
Yes, by another split - 24 (42.9%)
No - 13 (23.2%)
Total Voters: 56

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [POLL] Alternate cryptocurrencies, Is it time for subforums?  (Read 777 times)
skaffen (OP)

Activity: 124
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 08:47:21 AM
Last edit: December 23, 2013, 09:22:52 AM by skaffen

With the increased volume in the Alternate cryptocurrencies subforum, I think that many more established coins are getting drowned out by newer releases.  I propose that this subforum is split into subforums by Release date, for example.

• Pre 2013 (LTC, NMC, DVC, PPC?)
  • Jan to Jun 2013 (MEC, CGB, FTC, MNC, DGC, ANC)
  • July to November 2013 (XPM, QRK, PTS)
  • December 2013 to Jan 2014 (the deluge)
etc.

I have an option in the Poll for by subforums split up by another method too.

What does everyone think?

BTC: 1PwXSJnmnCMKTEw8JqtjdDVoRUhtMExiNP    XPM: ANREvGk6CJYM5YWuW3eNankjGKS1ZYmAzP
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
matt608

Activity: 882
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 08:48:29 AM

I think there should be a giveaways section somewhere else.
Anonylz

Activity: 2562
Merit: 577

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 09:03:05 AM

I think all alternative coins have their own forum, just keep all alts in 1 section, this is bitcointalk, not altcointalk

██▄     ▄▄░
▀██▄ ▄██▀
▄▄███████████████████▄▄
▄█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████▄
████▀                   ▀████
████       ▄▄█████▄▄  ▀▄   ████
████      ▄██████████▄▀    ████
████      ████████▀▀       ████
████  ▄▀ ▄██▀▀▀   ▄██      ████
████   ▀▀     ▄▄███▀       ████
████▄                   ▄████
▀█████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████▀
▀▀███████████████████▀▀
SECONDLIVE
CHOOSE LIFE      CHOOSE SPACE      CHOOSE FRIENDS
                           Twitter       Telegram      Medium      YouTube      Discord        TikTok         GitHub               
        ▄▄███████▄▄▄
    ▄▄████████████████▄▄
   ████████████████████▄
  ███████▀▀▀█████████████
 ██████▌     ▀████████████
███████▀ ▀▀▄▄██▀▀▀█████████
██████             ▀███████
██████▄             ███████
 ███████▄▄        ▄███████
  ███████████▄▄▄▄█████████
   ▀███████████████████▀
     ▀████████████████▀▀
   ██████████████████████
TheMightyX

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

Vires in Numeris

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 09:21:08 AM

Why would you suggest the subforum be split by date?
That is the most illogical conclusion I could think of.

The obvious solution would be to give each alt-coin it's own subforum. One for doge, one for primecoin, etc etc.
In 3 months, if any of these crapcoins are still around, do you really expect people to know exactly when such and such a coin was released to find its forum?

Make a forum for each alt-coin and a forum for new alt-coin announcements. Once an alt-coin is launched and reaches > 10 pages or so, create a new subforum for it. Creating a new subforum doesnt actually stress the server in any way, its like adding a new folder to your computer (you can have as many as you want).

Or, alternatively, create categories based on the coins system of mining (scrypt, sha256, other, etc).
Also, special subforum for giveaway/lotto threads is great too.
mile108

Activity: 107
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 09:24:41 AM

I think all alternative coins have their own forum, just keep all alts in 1 section, this is bitcointalk, not altcointalk

+1

▶▶  BTCitcoin 2  ◀◀    ⚡ Scalable Bitcoin Fork with instant verified payments ⚡
░░░░▒▒▒▓▓▓████████████████████████████████████████████████▓▓▓▒▒▒░░░░
Low Fees ✲ ✲ Truly Anonymous TransactionsJoin the discussion thread
tk808
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1124

Invest in your knowledge

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 09:26:39 AM

I wouldn't split every alt-coin into separate forums, that would be a mess.

1) Enforce 1 thread per alt-coin
2) Create a *Giveaway* section

skaffen (OP)

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 09:29:20 AM

Why would you suggest the subforum be split by date?
That is the most illogical conclusion I could think of.

The obvious solution would be to give each alt-coin it's own subforum. One for doge, one for primecoin, etc etc.
In 3 months, if any of these crapcoins are still around, do you really expect people to know exactly when such and such a coin was released to find its forum?

I think one subforum per coin is too fragmented, there wouldn't be enough volume in each forum, and if you follow a few coins, there would be too much clicking between them.  If done by release date, then more mature coins get to have their own forums, and the 'wild west' of all the new crap coins can have it's own immature subforum.  

What if new (say post November, or less than 1 month old) coins have a subforum and everything else stays as is, that way all the new crap is pushed down one level?

A giveaway subby sounds good too, but most of the 'mess' is with the new coins every day!

BTC: 1PwXSJnmnCMKTEw8JqtjdDVoRUhtMExiNP    XPM: ANREvGk6CJYM5YWuW3eNankjGKS1ZYmAzP
skaffen (OP)

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 03:40:09 AM

Just giving this a bump.

Now I'm thinking just one subforum for the newer December and later coins might be good.  That way the change is minimal, but a lot of message volume will be shifted into the subforum.

BrewCrewFan

Activity: 672
Merit: 501

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 03:44:04 AM

Hate to break it to you all but it aint gonna happen we been down this road before and guess what? It stayed the same.

Free SIGNs giving everyday. Be part, do not miss!.
SqMe5ceYfdcGsRyVpgvpYb6bRLS9j8omvB

XChat : Addy : XYuZESQpeMtZ2wit8nVVnXKGytfiaTBCo6 PubKey : eteshLzeq8Bh54BRjGSunMTc6Ytxtk7HYaSmDYMQn61z
Gasai Yuno

Activity: 154

Yukki Yukki Yukki!

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 03:44:54 AM

yes need some subforums like

giveaways
official altcoin threads
pools

Notanon

Activity: 388

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 05:46:41 AM

I would also add altcoin mining software and hardware. I'm more interested in those than the 50 million new coin announcements per day.
Mortimer452

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 05:52:17 AM

I think by date is a poor idea, not many folks keep track of what month a coin was released, they won't know where to go (I know I wouldn't)

I like Gasai's idea of dividing up into a couple sections, something like:

General Discussion - General chit-chat about altcoins
Announcements - for new coin announcements and updates from dev teams only (moderated)
Giveaways and bounties - obvious
Mining - new pool announcements, general discussion about mining setups
burnum

Activity: 322

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 06:05:09 AM

I think by date is a poor idea, not many folks keep track of what month a coin was released, they won't know where to go (I know I wouldn't)

Announcements - for new coin announcements and updates from dev teams only (moderated)

This is a good easy way of doing it if its going to be done

Send me a message if you need me to respond to a post, or just send me some  $ADA in an amount that will get my attention = addr1qx7g7vzjtk9mcljxjy0vnewaljk33m67d227d95rsak8mmjdq5erwjygc05l6vftwdzy9qd3t4 9spl5kw5k6684gfawqw9r87w
Kyune

Activity: 287

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 06:39:22 AM

This kind of request comes up regularly, and the answer is always the same: no child boards for altcoins.

See, for example:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=199691.0

So don't hold your breath.

BTC:  1K4VpdQXQhgmTmq68rbWhybvoRcyNHKyVP
cinnamon_carter
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018

It's about time -- All merrit accepted !!!

View Profile WWW
December 24, 2013, 06:48:00 AM

The forum has become 'cluttered' to the point I find it difficult to sift through 'much' junk.

Giveaways certainly need their own area.

Technical or advanced items related to mining , gpu adjustments, would be a welcome addition.

Probably a separate section for new people how to solomine, set up conf file, build a rig ect...

Would a thread ONLY for pools be possible ?

Annother idea would be an option to see the ANN thread of each coin pinned in chronogical order ?
As long as ALL coins alive and dead are included this can go on a wish list.

I agree some type of 'reorganization' is necessary.

Any reorganization would be welcome at this point.

(example I see an IX coin give away , i cannot get working nodes for the wallet so I know there must be a third thread other than the orig. & giveaway with the addnodes ect but I can't find it !! I don't care about missing the handout if the coin is alive and not just being stored cold, at vircurex & cryptsy I would like to have the necessary info)

I don't know the best way to do it to make everyone happy but there must be an answer.

Check out my coin Photon
Merge Mine 5 other Blake 256 coins - 6x your hash power  https://www.blakecoin.org/

The obvious choice is not always the best choice.

LOOK DEEPER - Look into the Blake 256 Family -- CC
BitcoinEXpress
Legendary

Activity: 1210
Merit: 1024

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 06:56:34 AM

@All

For all of you that do not know the history of the "Alt Section", it was created simply to keep the garbage out of the main Bitcoin forum.

At first the mods of the early Bitcointalk Forum would simply delete with extreme prejudice any post that was alt coin related that was posted anywhere on Bitcointalk until that proved to be a huge task. The Alt Section was then created as an "Alternative Trashcan" and was referred to as such by quite a few mods back in the day.

Theymos, the founder of this site has made it clear, there will not be any sub-forums for the "Alternate Trashcan" for any reasons ever.

Just FYI,

~BCX~

added: Last time I counted there were over 20 threads just like this. If you will search you will find direct answers and absolute answers from several mods. Some as recent as a couple of weeks ago.
Digicoiner

Activity: 310

In Crypto I trust.

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 06:59:32 AM

You could also have sections for alt coins organized by mining algorithm such as:

Proof of Work coins
  CPU based
  GPU based

Proof of Stake coins
  CPU based
  GPU based
skaffen (OP)

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 12:50:11 AM

This kind of request comes up regularly, and the answer is always the same: no child boards for altcoins.

See, for example:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=199691.0

So don't hold your breath.

Hmm, thanks for that link.  That was in May though, and surely the volume of new threads today is 10 times what it was then?  The altcoin subforum may have been created to keep the 'junk' off the main forum, but perhaps the mod of this subforum should be someone who cares about it, not someone who has a strict policy that it's just a place to keep the non-bitcoin 'noise'.  (I'm making assumptions about motives here).  That would be more democratic.

Take reddit for example, anyone can create subreddits, and they live or die by volume.  It's a more decentralized model, isn't that what bitcoin is all about, lack of central control?  Smiley

zackclark70
Legendary

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

ADT developer

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 12:52:21 AM

never going to happen Sad I have been down this road before and was told that if it gets to bad they will just get rid of the altcoins section

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: