Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 05:42:05 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Selling Mining Hardware on Craigslist & What Responses to Expect  (Read 1188 times)
mobile (OP)

Activity: 400
Merit: 250

the sun is shining, but the ice is still slippery

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 11:38:43 PM

I thought it was appropriate to share this here. I listed a number of ASICMiner Cubes on ebay and it was second nature to list them on Craiglist as well. Well 90% of the response are all exactly identical. will paste one of the emails I recieved which was the most typical one.

Hello. I am interested in purchasing this miner. Would it be possible for you run it on my pool for a day so I can measure the speed and verify? My last purchase of a miner seemed to go well at the start, and then gradually declined after about a day. I think it had to do with heating issues? I just want to be sure this one will be able to sustain that speed. Please let me know either way. Here's my info:

Pool Address:
http://stratum.mining.eligius.st:3334

Username:
1GfVGntYPcXDcVVCnJCDWjsuRBtNFksYLQ

There is no password needed for Eligius.

Thanks!
John

Most of these scammers send this email first. Unfortunately and frustrating to say the least, many occasions 2 or 3 emails are exchanged of productive conversation only to be sent the message i pasted above. When did first started occurring , I just assumed they were ignorant even though deep down inside I knew they are just trying to scam a small amount of mining revenue. I explain that I will be happy to post MY public mining stats so that they can make there judgment but by this time they are no where to be found. So  much work for 30GHS of 24  hour mining revenue. I wonder if anyone actually falls for this because if you ask me, it is so elementary and obvious. Here is another e-mail message ill paste.

We do have just one last due diligence request of you: We would need to view the live stats on our worker ID for a period of one hour. The purpose of this is to allow us to document the performance of this specific machine prior to purchasing it.

Once we have completed this, we can set up a time for us to meet.

I am able to email you the information necessary to set this up.

Let me know when a good time would be for you to set this up.

1MoBi1eNbqh8QMuvtZjYzQGV8NEckJJYcT rep|GnuPG <3 CLAM <3

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
HairyMaclairy
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 2174

Degenerate bull hatter & Bitcoin monotheist

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 11:55:17 PM

I never ceased to be amazed at how hard some people will work to earn a few dishonest cents.
mobile (OP)

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 01:57:51 AM

I never ceased to be amazed at how hard some people will work to earn a few dishonest cents.
My thoughts exactly, I guess 0.01BTC equals profitability of 5 mins of time spent to email sellers. But still it is ridiculous and in my mind one could be more profitable via other means.

empoweoqwj

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 10:44:48 AM

Its craigslist, home of the depraved. What were you expecting exactly? Smiley
jonanon

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 12:05:17 PM

This really is dreadful, BTC seems to attract scammers by the dozen, thanks for posting this - it should warn some who would otherwise fall for the scam.
bitpop
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060

View Profile WWW
January 18, 2014, 06:42:16 PM

You're lucky, I've ran into killers and pedos

empoweoqwj

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 03:48:22 AM

lol, not literally I hope  Grin
mobile (OP)

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 03:54:09 AM

Its craigslist, home of the depraved. What were you expecting exactly? Smiley

Home of the depraved, rofl. I can only imagine the lurkers that lie from within, mostly on the romance ads but besides all of that. Ive sold a good bit of junk on there. if that holds any weight.
This really is dreadful, BTC seems to attract scammers by the dozen, thanks for posting this - it should warn some who would otherwise fall for the scam.

Ah yes, unfortunately the crypto realm would not have the same taste if it wasnt for the scammers. Keeps the wise on guard and the stupid broke.
True story here. The media loves to grab those stories and run with them for days.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: