Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 11:02:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: BTC client crashes every 5 minutes. "Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library."  (Read 1205 times)
Qu4k3r (OP)

Activity: 50
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 20, 2011, 08:16:53 PM

Hi, I need a little help.
Every was fine until I decided to defrag my hard drive with O&O Defrag 12 using COMPLETE/Name option.
But now, my BTC client crashes every 5 minutes showing a dialog box with the follwing message

"Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library.
This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
Please contact the application's support team for more information."

No matter if it is running as server mode or normal mode, it always crashes.
I try to unistall the client, run CCleaner, reboot and reinstall the client again; but no succeed.
Any idea or suggestion is welcome.
Thanks in advance.-
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jh1523

Activity: 56

View Profile
August 21, 2011, 01:40:17 AM

Which bitcoin client do you use? The official client is not built with Visual C++ and does not use that runtime in any way... I know because I built it for myself from source.

If you didn't download it from the official site, you may have a trojan.
Qu4k3r (OP)

View Profile
August 21, 2011, 04:49:07 AM

I use 0.3.24 beta version downloaded from sourceforge.net (I'm gonna donwload it again)

I have NIS 2010 (74 days suscription remaining) and run a full system scan once a week but it has not reported any problem about it.

jh1523

View Profile
August 21, 2011, 11:12:47 AM

Well like I said, from having compiled it myself (I'm paranoid like that) I can tell you it doesn't use the VC++ runtime at all. If you get a VC++ runtime error, it's not because of bitcoin.exe.

You may want to post this in https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=6.0 because most of the developers are unlikely to hang around this newbie area, and I see you have posting rights now.

If you want I could send you my self-compiled bitcoin.exe - the same one I use - and see if that makes a difference, that is if you trust me (which you shouldn't, I'm just an unknown guy on a message board offering to send you a custom executable program Smiley).
Qu4k3r (OP)

View Profile
August 21, 2011, 02:21:58 PM

I downloaded and reinstalled, but it's crashing again.
And run a full system scan but does not report any problem.

You are rigth, I should not trust a strange guy offering me a custom exe.

Thanks, I will post in that area

I hate to say it, but maybe I will have to format my HD and don't want to...

http://img846.imageshack.us/img846/1024/11310331.jpg
TheHumanatee

Activity: 35

View Profile
August 21, 2011, 02:33:45 PM

I crash with the same error sporadically, and see it almost every time I exit the bitcoin client, 0.3.24

I got my exe from an emule link I found on a czech website. No wait, it was from sourceforge. I did try reinstalling. I'm on w7 64x. I know this info doesn't help you at all, but at least you know you are not alone.
jh1523

View Profile
August 21, 2011, 05:43:11 PM

You are rigth, I should not trust a strange guy offering me a custom exe.

Good move. I'm actually an honest guy (no you don't have to believe me) but I could easily have inserted a wallet stealer, keylogger or whatnot in that exe. Don't trust anything and anybody except the original author(s). And even then think twice...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: