Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 10:04:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Wallet Safekeeping - Best Practices  (Read 5579 times)
bitpop
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060

View Profile WWW
December 29, 2013, 08:34:59 AM

All types of flash memory are a bad idea for long term storage.  They discharge over time.

Discharged sd cards? Never heard about it!

SD cards are the safest digital storage, much more reliable than CDs or DVDs. But better create an additional paper wallet from your private key, then you're completely covered.

They need power every once in a while

Get these http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16800995117

You're right about the sd cards, only last a few years... did'nt know that!  Shocked

M-Disks are great or you could take this: http://www.sandisk.com/products/usb/memory-vault/

Yeah those are good. There used to be worm sd write once but you can't find them. I bought some and they were counterfeit.

Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 01:43:16 PM

A few people are engraving on stainless steel:

Some even have it laser engraved stainless steel the size of a credit card:

And you can use tungsten too:

bitpop
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060

View Profile WWW
December 29, 2013, 01:45:07 PM

The middle ones founders disappeared sadly

kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1024

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 01:51:20 PM

All types of flash memory are a bad idea for long term storage.  They discharge over time.

Discharged sd cards? Never heard about it!

SD cards are the safest digital storage, much more reliable than CDs or DVDs. But better create an additional paper wallet from your private key, then you're completely covered.

They need power every once in a while

Get these http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16800995117

You're right about the sd cards, only last a few years... did'nt know that!  Shocked

M-Disks are great or you could take this: http://www.sandisk.com/products/usb/memory-vault/

Paper is still king.  Stored properly in a cheap firesafe, paper will survive a house fire.

I also use M-disc, but I don't trust them yet.  The concept seems very solid.  The drives suck, I think I've got a 50% failure rate on the LG drives (of about 40 installed) in the first year, but that doesn't seem to be a problem for media lifetime.  I also have a few media that have appear to have spontaneously grown what appears to be a thick dust layer despite storage in Tyvek sleeves, but they still read fine.

I have no idea about that memory vault.  I note that the linked website doesn't give any indication of what it really is, or how it works.  Appears to be just flash memory plus marketing.  Assuming that they've solved the discharge problem (and I see no reason to believe that they have), you still have the problem that flash drives sometimes just die a sudden and mysterious death.  Or am I the only one that occasionally plugs in a USB stick only to find that it has turned itself into a brick since the last time I used it?

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
wiggi

Activity: 403
Merit: 251

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 04:54:47 PM

A few people are engraving on stainless steel:
Hopefully this is just the canary wallet. The real saving wallet could have a slightly different private key.

CryptKeeper
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1055

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 10:53:56 PM

Or am I the only one that occasionally plugs in a USB stick only to find that it has turned itself into a brick since the last time I used it?

I don't trust USB sticks either, that's why I prefer sd cards. Maybe you must copy the content once a year from one card to another, then you have refreshed the memory cells and have a second backup at the same time...

Follow me on twitter! I'm a private Bitcoin and altcoin hodler. Giving away crypto for free on my Twitter feed!
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: