Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 04:35:32 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: It's about to get ugly on mtgox  (Read 5853 times)
NUFCrichard
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 11:47:55 PM

Because people can buy thousands of mBTC without pushing the price up on a "whole" BTC at all.

The average person is willing to pay a lot more for 100 mBTC than for 0.1 BTC, even though they're the same thing. It's basic human psychology. Therefore, shifting to mBTC (or similar denominations) would drive up the price.
I wouldnt pay more for 100cents than for $1, the system isnt revolutionary!
Lloydie

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 02:43:02 AM

The demand is not there for expensive bitcoins, this is probably the reason why the price is not going higher.

This is going to be the problem, going into the future.  

And switching to mBTC doesn't help fix this.  

Because people can buy thousands of mBTC without pushing the price up on a "whole" BTC at all.

At least that's how I understand it.

1000 mbtc = 1 Btc

1000 x 1000 mbtc = 1000 Btc

And your point is???

If lots of people buy mbtcs then the effect on a whole Btc is the same. See the equation.
HappyBitCoinUser

Activity: 182

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 10:35:36 AM

Woot, another flash crash to $0.01 again! I'm a buy me 10,000 coins when it reaches that!
Mjbmonetarymetals
Legendary

Activity: 1096
Merit: 1067

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 06:08:42 PM

The demand is not there for expensive bitcoins, this is probably the reason why the price is not going higher.

This is going to be the problem, going into the future.  

And switching to mBTC doesn't help fix this.  

At least that's how I understand it.

Wait, I wasn't aware that the point of switching to mBTC was to pump the price...
Shhhhhh Smiley

The real reason must be to try and make Bitcoin look like Devcoin (no offence Devcoin) trying to make it look like your buying more Bitcoin than you are only to end up making everything priced in mbtc look expensive.

Bitrated user: Mick.
jamesc760

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 06:31:31 PM

still waiting for mtgox to get ugly...
porcupine87

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

hm

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 06:59:31 PM

For one weeks now there is an upward trend. But you'll never know. The thread starter is aware: He could make such a predition. He could be wrong -> ok. He could be right -> he is a god.

"Morality, it could be argued, represents the way that people would like the world to work - whereas economics represents how it actually does work." Freakonomics
jamesc760

Activity: 448

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 08:20:24 PM

Is the OP a perma-bear? If someone says "it's about to get ugly...," I expect the ugliness to start imminently, not 2 or more days later.

piramida
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1010

Borsche

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 08:34:27 PM

If you post a doom thread every day for many days, one of the days you get a little bit of applause while the price corrects 20% down. Then everybody forgets about you again.

It is actually ugly on Gox now, every bottom is higher than the previous one. Might as well crash to four digits by 2014.

i am satoshi
Bitcoin BEAR

Activity: 143

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 10:32:09 PM

For one weeks now there is an upward trend.

What a great observation! Every bottom is getting higher, then again, every top is getting lower... Uptrend??? I don't see it! Hmm, If only there was a name, and subsequent outcome for such a pattern
GigaCoin

Activity: 308
Merit: 251

Giga

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 10:53:24 PM

nothing happened

_wayfarer_

Activity: 93
Merit: 10

Software Engineer

View Profile WWW
December 26, 2013, 01:32:57 AM

It's actually been unusually stable since the 19th

Try my free BTC price alerts | In the 20th century, the United States endured two world wars and other traumatic and expensive military conflicts; the Depression; a dozen or so recessions and financial panics; oil shocks; a flu epidemic; and the resignation of a disgraced president. Yet the Dow rose from 66 to 11,497 - Warren Buffet
DieJohnny
Legendary

Activity: 1639
Merit: 1006

View Profile
December 26, 2013, 01:43:21 AM

broke above trendline in last couple hours...... panic buy about to start

Those who hold and those who are without property have ever formed distinct interests in society
MatTheCat

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 26, 2013, 02:05:04 AM

broke above trendline in last couple hours...... panic buy about to start

Really?

I amn't going to panic buy.

BTC can either prove irrefutably that the trendline is broke or go home.

Kraken Account, Robbed/Emptied. Kraken say "Fuck you, its your loss": https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1559553.msg15656643#msg15656643

Bitfinex victims. DO NOT TOUCH THE BFX TOKEN! Start moving it around, or trading it, and you will be construed as having accepted it as an alternative means of payment to your USD, BTC, etc.
quone17

Activity: 224
Merit: 104

View Profile WWW
December 26, 2013, 04:21:14 AM

Need to see some real upward momentum here.  It's been just drifting down for quite a while now.  Can't tell if it's just holding on or trying to form a new base.

Bitcoin Exchange Guide- List of the Top Bitcoin Exchanges, Find Places to Buy, Sell and Trade Bitcoins.
DPoS

Activity: 462

View Profile
December 26, 2013, 05:01:18 AM

For one weeks now there is an upward trend.

What a great observation! Every bottom is getting higher, then again, every top is getting lower... Uptrend??? I don't see it! Hmm, If only there was a name, and subsequent outcome for such a pattern

Yes it is such a mysterious pattern, almost impossible to guess what's next  Grin

doomers didn't want to see it when it was straightening out and forming uptrend...  i called it a few days ago that it broke from trending down to rather heading up to 700 (even on btce)

but they still dream of getting $100-300 bitcoins...  keep dreaming

~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~Play Boardgames for Bitcoins!!~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~ Something I say help? Donate BTC! 1KN1K1xStzsgfYxdArSX4PEjFfcLEuYhid
DieJohnny
Legendary

Activity: 1639
Merit: 1006

View Profile
December 26, 2013, 04:04:36 PM

Need to see some real upward momentum here.  It's been just drifting down for quite a while now.  Can't tell if it's just holding on or trying to form a new base.

Look at volume trends for bitcoin over the last two years. Every slowdown in volume was followed by a big bounce. That observation combined with the trend line breakout made me turn bullish for now.

Bitcoin is not like a stock in that the market of buyers is a green field of investors that extends way beyond your stock investor. I would like to see better analysis come out of Bitcoin days destroyed and volume, maybe there is already some analytics based on those, but i haven't seen them yet.

Those who hold and those who are without property have ever formed distinct interests in society
Oldminer
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 26, 2013, 05:22:14 PM

Oh shiiiiiet, it crashed $40 upwards :s

lol

If you like my post please feel free to give me some positive rep https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=trust;u=18639
Tip me BTC: 1FBmoYijXVizfYk25CpiN8Eds9J6YiRDaX
MatTheCat

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 26, 2013, 05:40:23 PM

doomers didn't want to see it when it was straightening out and forming uptrend...  i called it a few days ago that it broke from trending down to rather heading up to 700 (even on btce)

Yeah.....we are definitely trending up now, probably on back of China news/rumours of being able to get money back onto exchanges.

I am still a medium term bear, but I have bought in to tune of 5K for the time being, with tentative plans to sell just short of $800 mark.

I still have 13K of buy-ins for between $100 - $250.

I am still aware that the near term fate of the Bitcoin price is based heavily around events in China and ultimately on the whims and desires of a few Chinese government officials.

With the bullish trend now seeming to have established itself, there could be a quite a decent rally yet in Bitcoin, but the entire market is still hanging by a thread as far as I can see. How anyone can come out and 'confidently' predict what BTC is going to from here on out is beyond me, unless they have a direct line to the head of the PBOC, which nobody here does.

As usual, 9/10 'forecasts' on here are simply based on what the poster 'wants' to happen.

Kraken Account, Robbed/Emptied. Kraken say "Fuck you, its your loss": https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1559553.msg15656643#msg15656643

Bitfinex victims. DO NOT TOUCH THE BFX TOKEN! Start moving it around, or trading it, and you will be construed as having accepted it as an alternative means of payment to your USD, BTC, etc.
DPoS

Activity: 462

View Profile
December 26, 2013, 07:26:50 PM

Yeah.....we are definitely trending up now, probably on back of China news/rumours of being able to get money back onto exchanges.

I am still a medium term bear, but I have bought in to tune of 5K for the time being, with tentative plans to sell just short of $800 mark.

I still have 13K of buy-ins for between $100 - $250.

I am still aware that the near term fate of the Bitcoin price is based heavily around events in China and ultimately on the whims and desires of a few Chinese government officials.

With the bullish trend now seeming to have established itself, there could be a quite a decent rally yet in Bitcoin, but the entire market is still hanging by a thread as far as I can see. How anyone can come out and 'confidently' predict what BTC is going to from here on out is beyond me, unless they have a direct line to the head of the PBOC, which nobody here does.

As usual, 9/10 'forecasts' on here are simply based on what the poster 'wants' to happen.

You just have to be ready to see the trend change..  I was hedged more for the downside but other factors than China seemed to fortify the $500 level and then those ascending continuous triangles emerged so why fight the momentum?

Everyone kept thinking each one was a bull trap. 

Lots of businesses are putting bitcoin into their plans...  perhaps we swoon a bit Q1 '14, but that would be a normal correction than a trend downwards

~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~Play Boardgames for Bitcoins!!~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~ Something I say help? Donate BTC! 1KN1K1xStzsgfYxdArSX4PEjFfcLEuYhid
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
December 26, 2013, 11:32:19 PM

It sure did get ugly for you bears.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: