Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 02:22:54 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: The fifth growth spurt  (Read 4620 times)
wachtwoord (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 09:18:43 PM

I want to show everyone that predicting what will happen next based on what happened in April is very shortsighted.

Basically we just experienced the 4th growth spurt (or as some people call it: "bubble")

1: to 10^0 between OCT '10 and FEB '11
2: to 10^1 between APR '11 and JUN '11
3: to 10^2 between OCT '12 and APR '13
4: To 10^3 between OCT '13 and DEC '13

The only constant is that every time it's to the next power of 10. The duration of the spurt isn't constant, the pop isn't either and the duration until the next spurt is also different every time.

Look at the pull back for #1. it hardly looks like a pull back and is followed by the next growth spurt 2 months later. That could happen right now too as we start shooting for 10^4 (10000) very fast. The pull back after #2 however was very violent and it took 16 months for the next growth spurt. That could happen as well.
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 09:27:35 PM

The pull back after #2 however was very violent and it took 16 months for the next growth spurt. That could happen as well.
I think #2 is an outlier due to what was going on during those 16 months.

It was a nearly-constant stream of high profile Bitcoin sites getting hacked (or sometimes "hacked") and losing customer funds. Mt Gox and Bitcoinica being the largest examples.
nobbynobbynoob

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

Annuit cœptis humanae libertas

View Profile WWW
December 24, 2013, 09:32:24 PM

The pull back after #2 however was very violent and it took 16 months for the next growth spurt. That could happen as well.
I think #2 is an outlier due to what was going on during those 16 months.

It was a nearly-constant stream of high profile Bitcoin sites getting hacked (or sometimes "hacked") and losing customer funds. Mt Gox and Bitcoinica being the largest examples.

Also, inflationary pressure from the BTC50 block reward and miners being able to sell profitably at ever lower prices?

Earn Free Bitcoins!   Earn bitcoin via BitcoinGet
BTC tip: 1PKkvuwC24Vqjv9odigXs1QVzE66jEJqmb (if <200 µBTC, please donate to charity)
LTC tip: LRqXaNdF79QHvhPpS5AZdEJZnLiNnAkJvq (if <Ł0,05, please donate to charity)
accord01

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 09:33:35 PM

This is a joke.  The last bubble/correction hasn't even begun yet.  It needs to get back to 200-300 before its next move of up or down.
Voodah

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 09:41:26 PM

I do agree we've had the growth spurt. It doesn't mean we've had the final capitulation though.
Philj

Activity: 388

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 09:43:29 PM

This is a joke.  The last bubble/correction hasn't even begun yet.  It needs to get back to 200-300 before its next move of up or down.

I disagree. Each burst has gone down to between half and a third of the peak (except for the June 2011 peak which went very low). This last peak was ~1200, so finding support between 400 and 600 would follow the previous trend.
wachtwoord (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 09:44:43 PM

I don't think you read (or comprehended) the OP. This growth spurt (#4) could easily be like growth spurt #1 and consolidate at current levels for 1 more month before taking of again to 10^4*. It could also be like #2, drop to $75 (the equivalent of $32->$2 then) and take 16 months to take of again. Since there is no pattern or constant whatsoever (except the exponential growth targets) it could also do something completely different. To show this is the purpose of this thread Smiley

* In fact, to me #4 seems to resemble #1 the most as #2 and #3 both overshot their exponential growth targets (10^1 and 10^2 respectively) with a factor 2 and 3 respectively. #1 just made it to 10^0 just as #4 just made it to 10^3
accord01

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 09:49:41 PM

I don't think you read (or comprehended) the OP. This growth spurt (#4) could easily be like growth spurt #1 and consolidate at current levels for 1 more month before taking of again to 10^4*. It could also be like #2, drop to $75 (the equivalent of $32->$2 then) and take 16 months to take of again. Since there is no pattern or constant whatsoever (except the exponential growth targets) it could also do something completely different. To show this is the purpose of this thread Smiley

* In fact, to me #4 seems to resemble #1 the most as #2 and #3 both overshot their exponential growth targets (10^1 and 10^2 respectively) with a factor 2 and 3 respectively. #1 just made it to 10^0 just as #4 just made it to 10^3

You're right I did no comprehend.  Yes it could go down to sub 100, that is what I'm saying.  I'm also trying to say that there is a chance (although small but not as small as one would think) that there is no spurt #5.  This could be the end and the beginning of a multi year downtrend to oblivion.
GigaCoin

Activity: 308
Merit: 251

Giga

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 10:06:20 PM

Thanks for that analysis, well thought out and it's great to look at the chart history from this perspective.

windjc
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1070

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 03:00:32 AM

You're right I did no comprehend.  Yes it could go down to sub 100, that is what I'm saying.  I'm also trying to say that there is a chance (although small but not as small as one would think) that there is no spurt #5.  This could be the end and the beginning of a multi year downtrend to oblivion.

Yes. And you could be run over by a car tomorrow.
DPoS

Activity: 462

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 04:00:33 AM

you want cheap coins and u mad

~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~Play Boardgames for Bitcoins!!~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~ Something I say help? Donate BTC! 1KN1K1xStzsgfYxdArSX4PEjFfcLEuYhid
Peter R
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1007

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 04:02:06 AM

This is a joke.  The last bubble/correction hasn't even begun yet.  It needs to get back to 200-300 before its next move of up or down.

You're right I did no comprehend.  Yes it could go down to sub 100, that is what I'm saying.  I'm also trying to say that there is a chance (although small but not as small as one would think) that there is no spurt #5.  This could be the end and the beginning of a multi year downtrend to oblivion.

Everyone agrees, accord01, that the bitcoin experiment could collapse.  This has been a risk that every single investor has had to weigh since the genesis block was published on Jan 03, 2009.  But like Nassim Taleb says, the expected life of a complex system (like the Fed or like bitcoin) is on the same order of magnitude as how long it has already survived for.  So each day as the blockchain grows longer, bitcoin becomes stronger.  

If we *knew* that bitcoin was going to become a successful global currency, then the price would already be 5 figures.  The price is significantly discounted right now to reflect the fact that indeed, like you say, the experiment could fail.  

But every new user that decides to give this game-changing technology a chance, makes bitcoin a little more likely to succeed.

Run Bitcoin Unlimited (www.bitcoinunlimited.info)
TERA

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 05:55:59 AM

It's a lot easier for nothing to become to something than for 10,000,000,000 to become 100,000,000,000. There are complications in moving gigantic sums of money and winning over those types of investors, versus joe schmoe handing over his pocket change to buy a pizza. That's why the initial growth was able to be so fast.
Miz4r
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 12:19:26 PM

It doesn't need to do anything. Where do you guys get this crap from that bitcoin 'needs' to do something before going this or that way? Bitcoin doesn't care about your neediness.

Bitcoin = Gold on steroids
oda.krell
Legendary

Activity: 1470

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 05:01:55 PM

One of the best original posts in here for a long time. Thanks, wachtwoord.

There's additional detail to be added, and I'm not sure if I completely agree with your (growth spurt) count or the exact choice of the exponential series you see, but your post is much appreciated, if for no other reason than the following: establishing a much better word for what we see than "bubble".

For some irrational reason this board (bulls and bears alike) keep referring to the periods of extreme growth (up to a new ATH), subsequent correction (down to a capitulation low), followed by continuation somewhere between the two previous extremes, as "bubbles". Conceptualizing them as "growth spurts" is much more accurate.

Not sure which Bitcoin wallet you should use? Get Electrum!
Electrum is an open-source lightweight client: fast, user friendly, and 100% secure.
Download the source or executables for Windows/OSX/Linux/Android from, and only from, the official Electrum homepage.
oda.krell
Legendary

Activity: 1470

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 05:04:33 PM

It doesn't need to do anything. Where do you guys get this crap from that bitcoin 'needs' to do something before going this or that way? Bitcoin doesn't care about your neediness.

It's been a mantra of board members as long as I'm on here (not that long, but long enough to see it recurring). It's what evolve and even Rampion kept on saying after the April peak, that it has to "deflate all the way". I kept arguing against that notion over and over again... probably a misunderstood lesson from other markets, in particular what is called "bubbles" in those, applied crudely (and incorrectly) to the growth model of Bitcoin.

Not sure which Bitcoin wallet you should use? Get Electrum!
Electrum is an open-source lightweight client: fast, user friendly, and 100% secure.
Download the source or executables for Windows/OSX/Linux/Android from, and only from, the official Electrum homepage.
Luckybit

Activity: 714
Merit: 510

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 09:13:06 PM

It's a lot easier for nothing to become to something than for 10,000,000,000 to become 100,000,000,000. There are complications in moving gigantic sums of money and winning over those types of investors, versus joe schmoe handing over his pocket change to buy a pizza. That's why the initial growth was able to be so fast.

That is a myth. There are hedge funds who move that kind of money for a living and institutional investors have trillions. It's a lot harder winning over joe schmoe who has to have the technology explained to them than professional investors who have been studying Bitcoin all year and just waiting.
Dragonkiller

Activity: 378

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Available Now!

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 09:32:38 PM

That is a myth. There are hedge funds who move that kind of money for a living and institutional investors have trillions. It's a lot harder winning over joe schmoe who has to have the technology explained to them than professional investors who have been studying Bitcoin all year and just waiting.

I agree.

You can go from 10 billion market cap to 100 billion market cap in two ways:

1. Either the average investment is now 10x larger or;
2. 10x as many people invest.

With regards to Joe Schmoe, I've been doing some rough calculations; if we consider only the US:

~120 million households

About 50% are able to/have funds to invest in Bitcoin (~50% have investments in the stock market)

Currently no more than 150,000 Americans own at least one Bitcoin

So to go from $1,000 to $10,000 we will need 10x as many people to invest in Bitcoin (assuming they invest the same amount; although the average investment size now is bigger than it was a year ago).

That's still only 1.5 million households (2.5% of the total households that have investments in the stock market).

I think with the media attention etc it is very likely that we will get 10x as many people investing. I don't think growth will slow down until we're at about 1 trillion market cap.
wachtwoord (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 10:27:32 PM

Thanks for that analysis, well thought out and it's great to look at the chart history from this perspective.
One of the best original posts in here for a long time. Thanks, wachtwoord.

Thank you both Smiley

your post is much appreciated, if for no other reason than the following: establishing a much better word for what we see than "bubble".

For some irrational reason this board (bulls and bears alike) keep referring to the periods of extreme growth (up to a new ATH), subsequent correction (down to a capitulation low), followed by continuation somewhere between the two previous extremes, as "bubbles". Conceptualizing them as "growth spurts" is much more accurate.

I agree completely Smiley

There's additional detail to be added, and I'm not sure if I completely agree with your (growth spurt) count or the exact choice of the exponential series you see

If you want to contribute that's more than welcome. I agree my analysis lacks details and my identification is based on analysis with the naked eye rather than a clear identification method. My goal with the OP was mainly to share my general viewpoint and I'm glad that has come across Smiley
GigaCoin

Activity: 308
Merit: 251

Giga

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 10:55:07 PM

"spurt" is kind of a weird word if you think about it  Tongue

BittBurger

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 11:28:25 PM

the expected life of a complex system (like the Fed or like bitcoin) is on the same order of magnitude as how long it has already survived for.  
So each day as the blockchain grows longer, bitcoin becomes stronger.

Exactly.

Funny how some people don't grasp this isnt it?

-B-

Owner: "The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
View it on the Blockchain | Genesis Block Newspaper Copies
kwoody

Activity: 454

Technology and Women. Amazing.

View Profile
December 26, 2013, 01:17:48 AM

I wanna spurt all over your blockchain, baby
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print