Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 06:23:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Inventor of AK-47 rifle Mikhail Kalashnikov dies at 94  (Read 4001 times)
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 09:18:58 PM

The inventor of the iconic AK-47 assault rifle, Mikhail Kalashnikov, has died at the age of 94. His ingenuity earned him widespread admiration, but his legacy became more controversial when his weapons were used in some of the world’s bloodiest conflicts.

"Mikhail Kalashnikov's entire life is a shining example of dedication to serving your country," said a statement from Defense Minister Sergey Shoigu.

Russian President Vladimir Putin expressed "deep condolences" over the death of the engineer.

Kalashnikov who continued working well into his nineties, had been suffering from heart and intestinal problems, and on November 17 was admitted into intensive care in Izhevsk in central Russia - where the plant that produces the eponymous rifles is located. The official cause of death will be revealed following a mandatory autopsy.

A public funeral will be organized by the regional administration, in consultation with surviving relatives, though no date has been named so far.

Patriot, genius, villain?
For most of his life, Kalashnikov, who was famous for his frugal lifestyle, was feted as a straightforward hero.

The self-taught peasant turned tank mechanic who never finished high school, but achieved a remarkable and lasting feat of engineering while still in his twenties.

He was forever asked if he regretted engineering the weapon that probably killed more than any other in the last fifty years.

"I invented it for the protection of the Motherland. I have no regrets and bear no responsibility for how politicians have used it," he told them.

http://rt.com/news/kalashnikov-dies-inventor-ak-47-887/

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 1217

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 02:18:50 AM

It is surprising how an individual born in to a farming community in Siberia (near the Chinese border) became the world's top small arms designer. His son, Victor Mikhailovich Kalashnikov is also an acclaimed gun designer.
Haidang1796

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 11:42:27 PM

The inventor of the iconic AK-47 assault rifle, Mikhail Kalashnikov, has died at the age of 94. His ingenuity earned him widespread admiration, but his legacy became more controversial when his weapons were used in some of the world’s bloodiest conflicts.

"Mikhail Kalashnikov's entire life is a shining example of dedication to serving your country," said a statement from Defense Minister Sergey Shoigu.

Russian President Vladimir Putin expressed "deep condolences" over the death of the engineer.

Kalashnikov who continued working well into his nineties, had been suffering from heart and intestinal problems, and on November 17 was admitted into intensive care in Izhevsk in central Russia - where the plant that produces the eponymous rifles is located. The official cause of death will be revealed following a mandatory autopsy.

A public funeral will be organized by the regional administration, in consultation with surviving relatives, though no date has been named so far.

Patriot, genius, villain?
For most of his life, Kalashnikov, who was famous for his frugal lifestyle, was feted as a straightforward hero.

The self-taught peasant turned tank mechanic who never finished high school, but achieved a remarkable and lasting feat of engineering while still in his twenties.

He was forever asked if he regretted engineering the weapon that probably killed more than any other in the last fifty years.

"I invented it for the protection of the Motherland. I have no regrets and bear no responsibility for how politicians have used it," he told them.

http://rt.com/news/kalashnikov-dies-inventor-ak-47-887/
I like his saying. The inventor isn't guilty, the one who use his invention into bad action is guilty

Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 11:52:01 PM

I like his saying. The inventor isn't guilty, the one who use his invention into bad action is guilty
No and hell no.  Look up the particulars of his making the gun -when, where, and why.  They were in very dire straits.
xkeyscore89

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 26, 2013, 06:03:10 AM

I read that article when it broke on USA Today.  I especially like that he wasn't burdened by the human death toll caused by his weapon as a result of the actions of politicians forgoing diplomacy.  I remember something about the fact that he didn't even request his invention be patented, there was nothing greedy about the man.  He still did well as the head of the company who produced the original AK-47's, but was never influenced by greed presumably due to the political ideals of the society he lived in at the time.

Viktor Bout (aka Lord of War) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viktor_Bout made a killing off this invention and it was his greed that ultimately took him down.  He'll never live to be 94 in prison.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
December 26, 2013, 09:03:06 AM

I especially like that he wasn't burdened by the human death toll caused by his weapon as a result of the actions of politicians forgoing diplomacy.  

Wars will always happen and people will die participating in it as long as humans exist. If AK-47 wasn't invented, then some other weapon would have been used for shooting people.
xkeyscore89

View Profile
December 26, 2013, 09:16:35 AM

I especially like that he wasn't burdened by the human death toll caused by his weapon as a result of the actions of politicians forgoing diplomacy.  

Wars will always happen and people will die participating in it as long as humans exist. If AK-47 wasn't invented, then some other weapon would have been used for shooting people.

Exactly.  The only issue I see is that because it was never patented, it's by far the most proliferated weapon today and while it's not the most accurate, it'll pierce most type of body armor out there with the exception of Dragonskin.  For fuck's sake, Mozambique has the AK on their flag.  The fact that it's stamped in one-piece by a press aids to its ability to fire despite being wet or filled with sand.  They said in Vietnam, US soldiers ditched their M-16's after they picked up an AK-47 from a dead NVA or Vietcong soldier because the M-16 was very prone to jamming in jungle conditions.

However, 7.62 rounds from AK's end life quickly for those unfortunate enough to come into contact with them.  Without the AK-47, these third world revolutionaries would employ weapons far more savage and inhumane as go-to weapons of war.  It seems that rape is still a pretty popular weapon for these savages regardless of the technology they possess.

At least U.S. soldiers are now equipped with weapons far superior to the AK even if they're still susceptible to the power of the 7.62 round if they're not wearing Dragonskin or Kevlar w/ trauma plate inserts.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
December 26, 2013, 11:33:33 AM

The only issue I see is that because it was never patented, it's by far the most proliferated weapon today

I think that none of the small arms invented in the former USSR were patented. It was mostly due to political reasons.
xkeyscore89

View Profile
December 26, 2013, 01:02:22 PM

The only issue I see is that because it was never patented, it's by far the most proliferated weapon today

I think that none of the small arms invented in the former USSR were patented. It was mostly due to political reasons.

You're right, he was proud of it not being patented, in fact.  He believed it was a service to his country.  The AK-47 was the only small arm worth mentioning that still holds it own today against most other .308's  However, when it comes to .338's as a class today, the AK-47 looks like a water pistol in comparison.

.338 Lapua
Ekaros

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 26, 2013, 01:18:09 PM

What truly make this weapon great is all of it's off-springs. The amount of models produced based on its principle is quite staggering... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_weapons_influenced_by_the_Kalashnikov_design

You probably have a good weapon when even your "enemies" end up copying it...

12pA5nZB5AoXZaaEeoxh5bNqUGXwUUp3Uv
http://firstbits.com/1qdiz
Feel free to help poor student!
bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
December 26, 2013, 02:05:04 PM

What truly make this weapon great is all of it's off-springs. The amount of models produced based on its principle is quite staggering... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_weapons_influenced_by_the_Kalashnikov_design

You probably have a good weapon when even your "enemies" end up copying it...

I don't understand how come the Dragunov sniper rifle is on that list. Dragunov is a completely different type of rifle. Don't have much in common with the AK-47.
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
December 26, 2013, 03:26:33 PM

10+ million views
AK 47 vs M16
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6BpI3xD6h0
Pages: [1]
  Print