View Profile WWW
August 20, 2011, 07:34:49 PM
Last edit: August 21, 2011, 11:07:46 AM by DownloadCoin.com

snip

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Anonymous

August 20, 2011, 07:40:30 PM

1. Did you see the video camera that filmed you as you posted the letter with your dna on it because you licked the envelope?
2. Where did you buy the acid ? Did you use a credit card ?
3.Do not collect $200 youre going directly to jail.
foggyb
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1006

View Profile
August 20, 2011, 08:21:43 PM

Very unlikely scenario.

There are far more lucrative targets than bitcoins. Bank robbery, art theft, kidnapping & ransom just to name a couple of examples. Also, the initial cost of buying bitcoins will deter most people desperate enough to do something this crazy.

casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
August 20, 2011, 08:41:40 PM

If someone did a high-profile act of piracy, kidnapping, or some other crime where they demand a money drop, Bitcoin will rise in notoriety overnight.  It will raise the eyebrows of every bad actor in the whole involved country if not the whole world.  "Pirates seize ship, demand Bitcoins"... many people will make the inference that they're better than cash in terms of being a way to receive money without any chance of getting caught.  (Now how to spend the money is a different story, but the bigger Bitcoin gets, the less of a concern that would be for the criminal).

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
old_engineer

Activity: 387
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 20, 2011, 08:51:30 PM

Sounds kind of like when Iraq would game the oil market by kicking out weapons inspectors, but tell their buddies first so that they could cash in on the global bump in prices. Rinse repeat.  Nothing really novel here - highly versatile tools like Bitcoin are also likely to have black hat applications.

As they say in blackjack, where the odds truly are in the player's favor with a simple counting scheme: if you can make money playing blackjack, you can make more money doing something else.  If you could pull off a complex operation like the above, you should be an entrepreneur instead.  Or at the very least, go into marketing.
repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 20, 2011, 09:24:52 PM

I suspect that you'd see enough countries invoking their anti-terrorism laws to effectively cripple the exchanges.

There are already plenty of illegal things for which Bitcoin is well-suited - payment for people smuggling springs to mind - which don't run the same risk of it being made the focus of anti-terrorism actions.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
August 20, 2011, 09:32:26 PM

I thought for sure I was going to read about politicians on this tread. Pay me X BTC, and I'll make sure to present this legislation on the House/Senate floor.

The only other thing needed is the secret Bitcoin Shake (handshake):

casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
August 20, 2011, 10:23:58 PM

OP - You have got to be the dumbest person to ever walk the Earth.

I disagree.  The utility of Bitcoin for purposes like this is a legitimate "social sciences" topic to discuss in a Bitcoin forum.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 20, 2011, 10:41:16 PM

I just posted here to garner suggestions for the secret handshake (Bitcoin Shake). No more getting caught: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/11/28/AR2005112801827.html But the secret GBS (Gentleman's Bitcoin Shake) is clearly needed for my idea to take hold.
bitplane

Activity: 321

Firstbits: 1gyzhw

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2011, 12:31:06 AM

Pretty good idea and I see no reason why it wouldn't work.

DDoS extortionism has been big business since about 2004, the only problem is actually getting hold of the money. If bitcoins were the preferred method of payment it may sever the link to the real world and make finding these people impossible.

Not sure how to handle such a situation, but it's a nice thought experiment nonetheless.
bitrebel

Activity: 364
Merit: 251

View Profile
August 21, 2011, 12:32:16 AM

Formula for Success =

A.) Go to Silk Road to Buy Drugs
B.) Learn all about a New Currency called Bitcoin
C.) Go straight to Bitcoin Forum to post drug induced visions.

Why does Bitrebel have 65+ Ignores?
Because Bitrebel says things that some people do not want YOU to hear.
helloworld

Activity: 266

View Profile
August 21, 2011, 01:18:14 AM

Step 6 - Frame Downloadcoin.com - because he came up with the idea so it's obvious he must be the perp Smiley
bigjake52

Activity: 44
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 21, 2011, 03:08:30 AM

how about sell pirated stuff on the net, for New users to the internet?

oh wait that happens,
onesalt

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 21, 2011, 03:29:59 AM

See and its this kind of retarded shit that got these forums distanced from the main bitcoin site. I really wasn't kidding when I said the bitcoin community was it's own worst enemy.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2011, 05:44:42 AM

See and its this kind of retarded shit that got these forums distanced from the main bitcoin site. I really wasn't kidding when I said the bitcoin community was it's own worst enemy.

I firmly believe that any forum community would not be a downfall to its named product or service. If that were the case, eBay wouldn't have made it to year two. I'm willing to bet that there's an Apple forum with its group of (insert plural noun here) that (insert derogative verb here) the company.

Your point is valid, though, on why this forum is distanced from bitcoin.org. I just disagree on it having an adverse effect on Bitcoin as a whole.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: