Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 04:48:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Windows gadget which displays BTC and currency amounts  (Read 69127 times)
CyranodeB.

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 03, 2018, 01:43:33 PM

I am using the newest version of the gadget and i dont seam to be able to manage to configurate the tool to show the last quotes from bitstamp.

here the data i use:

https://www.bitstamp.net/api/v2/ticker/ethusdason.last
[/quot
Use json.last instead jason.last - but just last will do as well.

sorry wrote it wrong in here. i have tried both and it did not work.

any other suggestions?
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Domchi (OP)

Activity: 516
Merit: 268

View Profile
June 03, 2018, 02:46:57 PM

any other suggestions?

If you just spin up additional new instance of the gadget, use all defaults and just change primary exchange URL to what you provided, it should work (it does for me). If it doesn't, it's possible that your IP is flagged by CloudFlare as suspicious and requires captcha which gadget doesn't know how to solve.
CyranodeB.

View Profile
June 03, 2018, 03:38:57 PM

any other suggestions?

If you just spin up additional new instance of the gadget, use all defaults and just change primary exchange URL to what you provided, it should work (it does for me). If it doesn't, it's possible that your IP is flagged by CloudFlare as suspicious and requires captcha which gadget doesn't know how to solve.

I have multiple instances of the gadget runing. Checking Bitfinex, Kraken, Polinex. They alle work. The only one that does nod its Bitstamp.

What is "CloudFlare"? How do i fix the "flagging" there?

Thanks for your help.
Domchi (OP)

View Profile
June 03, 2018, 05:06:02 PM

I have multiple instances of the gadget runing. Checking Bitfinex, Kraken, Polinex. They alle work. The only one that does nod its Bitstamp.

What is "CloudFlare"? How do i fix the "flagging" there?

Strange. Most exchanges use CloudFlare (Bitfinex and Poloniex for sure) and I'd expect them to fail as well in this case.

CloudFlare is a CDN service exchanges use to fight DDoS attacks. As it's calibrated to recognize humans, it will sometimes prevent gadget from accessing the APIs. Typically, a sign that your IP has been flagged if you're asked to fill in captcha before accessing exchanges or some sites on the web. Often happens if you're using shared VPN to connect. Unfortunately there's no way to whitelist IPs or fix this apart from changing the IP (most ISPs rotate IPs every 24h).

I don't have much else to go on with, sorry. Check your settings, check exchange URL (try accessing it from the browser as well)... did you change any other setting apart from the exchange URL?
CyranodeB.

View Profile
June 03, 2018, 05:18:45 PM

I don't have much else to go on with, sorry. Check your settings, check exchange URL (try accessing it from the browser as well)... did you change any other setting apart from the exchange URL?

Accessing Bitstamp API through the browser gives back the jason string (as you would expect). So i assume i am  not blackflagged or anything at Bitstamp.

Settings are checked to exhaustion.

Really dont know where to change anything anymore...
Domchi (OP)

View Profile
June 03, 2018, 05:23:39 PM

Accessing Bitstamp API through the browser gives back the jason string (as you would expect). So i assume i am  not blackflagged or anything at Bitstamp.

Not that I don't believe you, but can you dump all your settings here? Two pairs of eyes might be better than one. And if we both positively have the same settings, then it's a network issue somewhere between you and Bitstamp.
CyranodeB.

View Profile
June 03, 2018, 05:43:52 PM

Accessing Bitstamp API through the browser gives back the jason string (as you would expect). So i assume i am  not blackflagged or anything at Bitstamp.

Not that I don't believe you, but can you dump all your settings here? Two pairs of eyes might be better than one. And if we both positively have the same settings, then it's a network issue somewhere between you and Bitstamp.

Lets see what you see. Here my settings:

trading selected
correction + pool

https://www.bitstamp.net/api/v2/ticker/ethusd/
json.last

everything else is empty.

Domchi (OP)

View Profile
June 03, 2018, 05:53:56 PM

trading selected
correction + pool

json.last

Wait, what do you mean - everything else is empty? There should be at least a few other fields with set defaults, for example mining data update interval, exchange data update interval etc.

If you have trading selected that means you're not using defaults as default has mining presets selected. Can you open another gadget, and change only the exchange URL, and not change any presets? Does that work?
CyranodeB.

View Profile
June 03, 2018, 06:06:57 PM

trading selected
correction + pool

json.last

Wait, what do you mean - everything else is empty? There should be at least a few other fields with set defaults, for example mining data update interval, exchange data update interval etc.

If you have trading selected that means you're not using defaults as default has mining presets selected. Can you open another gadget, and change only the exchange URL, and not change any presets? Does that work?

Did that. Just changed the URL to "https://www.bitstamp.net/api/v2/ticker/ethusd/". -> same resault .... N/A

(the default URL by the way is the old Bitstamp URL and that did also not work)

Want to thank you again for the time you are taking to help me.
Domchi (OP)

View Profile
June 03, 2018, 06:30:41 PM

Did that. Just changed the URL to "https://www.bitstamp.net/api/v2/ticker/ethusd/". -> same resault .... N/A

(the default URL by the way is the old Bitstamp URL and that did also not work)

Want to thank you again for the time you are taking to help me.

Don't worry about it, it's what I'm here for.

OK, that definitely means the issue is not with the settings or gadget itself as for me both new and old URL are working fine and data gets updated.

...actually, correction, WERE working an hour ago. It seems that now my gadget can't connect as well, to both new and old URL, and even if I try connecting through VPN from another country (and IP). Maybe Bitstamp is blocking older browsers (gadget uses IE under the hood) or simply has some API problems?

I'd recommend using some other exchange and trying again in a day or two. Something is fishy though. I can't fix the gadget as it's not an issue in the gadget, but if more users are seeing this I'll have to change default exchange in gadget to some other exchange. Anybody else experiencing this with Bitstamp?
CyranodeB.

View Profile
June 03, 2018, 08:28:23 PM

Don't worry about it, it's what I'm here for.

OK, that definitely means the issue is not with the settings or gadget itself as for me both new and old URL are working fine and data gets updated.

...actually, correction, WERE working an hour ago. It seems that now my gadget can't connect as well, to both new and old URL, and even if I try connecting through VPN from another country (and IP). Maybe Bitstamp is blocking older browsers (gadget uses IE under the hood) or simply has some API problems?

I'd recommend using some other exchange and trying again in a day or two. Something is fishy though. I can't fix the gadget as it's not an issue in the gadget, but if more users are seeing this I'll have to change default exchange in gadget to some other exchange. Anybody else experiencing this with Bitstamp?

.... since the browser requests still work would it not also work if the gadget would make there request simulating a browser? ... just an idea....
Domchi (OP)

View Profile
June 03, 2018, 09:08:58 PM

.... since the browser requests still work would it not also work if the gadget would make there request simulating a browser? ... just an idea....

Windows gadgets are actually running in Internet Explorer, and they use IE to make requests, and unfortunately don't have much of a choice how their requests are executed. The fact that exchanges put their APIs behind different CDNs which are designed to detect human users doesn't help, I've had experience with several exchange APIs not working for one reason or the other. I've seen CDNs block specific browser versions, or specific browsers without Javascript enabled and so on. What I'm saying is, unfortunately, that I don't know why Bitstamp API is refusing those connections, and even if I did, I wouldn't be able to fix it. Sad We'll see if this is permanent or not though.
CyranodeB.

View Profile
June 03, 2018, 09:32:50 PM

Windows gadgets are actually running in Internet Explorer, and they use IE to make requests, and unfortunately don't have much of a choice how their requests are executed. The fact that exchanges put their APIs behind different CDNs which are designed to detect human users doesn't help, I've had experience with several exchange APIs not working for one reason or the other. I've seen CDNs block specific browser versions, or specific browsers without Javascript enabled and so on. What I'm saying is, unfortunately, that I don't know why Bitstamp API is refusing those connections, and even if I did, I wouldn't be able to fix it. Sad We'll see if this is permanent or not though.

... now that i know that all requests of gadgets go through the IE i found the "glitch".
By activating all TLS protocols in IE the gadget requests to Bitstamp work again.

Thank you again for you kind help.

PS: since we are already here "chatting" i was wondering: Why is there no dedicated gadget for ETHEREUM? ...smile... just an idea...
Domchi (OP)

View Profile
June 03, 2018, 09:51:03 PM

... now that i know that all requests of gadgets go through the IE i found the "glitch".
By activating all TLS protocols in IE the gadget requests to Bitstamp work again.
Thank you again for you kind help.

Thank you!
It definitely is something related to https, maybe Bitstamp people disabled some SSL encryption protocols or something.

I've now tried intercepting https connection (SSL proxy) and that seems to work. On my IE all TLS protocols are already enabled. I've tried disabling them and enabling them again, and then I right-clicked the desktop and toggled View / Show desktop gadgets off and on again and that seemed to fix it in my case.

PS: since we are already here "chatting" i was wondering: Why is there no dedicated gadget for ETHEREUM? ...smile... just an idea...

Well, I did the Bitcoin gadget.. then Litecoin and Namecoin... long before Ethereum... and then crypto exploded and I figured that this approach wouldn't work anymore. So I created MyCoins as a kind of general crypto gadget for any currency.

If there's interest I'd consider creating Ethereum version though. Functionality is the same, but basically having a preset exchange/rate and different background picture might be easier than having to set it up.
suppapan

Activity: 42

View Profile
July 22, 2018, 05:35:47 PM

It so cool
Domchi (OP)

View Profile
July 25, 2018, 11:06:19 AM

In my opinian, because the system's my conputer is win10, Bitcoin Windows difficult to use. Its is element the first. The second, the virus software will destroy some details above Bitcoin windows.

Is there a way to fix it?

Please everyone give the comments. Thanks!

Bitcoin Windows gadget works on Windows 7. After Windows 7, Microsoft has discontinued support for gadgets, but there are ways to run gadgets on newer Windows versions. See here: https://www.intowindows.com/desktop-gadgets-for-windows-10/
bittab

Activity: 206
Merit: 11

View Profile WWW
July 25, 2018, 12:13:59 PM
Last edit: August 09, 2018, 12:09:13 AM by bittab

I want to intrudoce BitTab, a more delicate ticker bar for Windows.

For a basic(or light) users who want to watch BTC on the desktop wallpaper or by a widget, other apps(like this topic's app) seem to be enough.

But, if you want to watch the coins on the desktop like a Windows taskbar or a ticker, this BitTab can be the solution.

http://bittab.io/?from=bitcointalk

<preview screenshots>

<Main features>
* contains more than 30 different exchanges over the world
* more than 1000 different coins available
 (the prices of the same coin can differ according to different exchanges, that's why the support for many exchanges is important)
* provides simple conditional alarms (like above, below...)
* it reloads the values starting from 30 seconds
* provides a few skins (and can be customized with CSS and Javascript)
* it has 'PRO' feature - for developer

<Main topic>
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4679957

twitter: http://twitter.com/bittabapp
movellan

Activity: 347
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 01, 2018, 03:06:06 PM

Looks like Coinbase Pro has changed the API from the old GDAX settings. Would you please post the updated settings? TIA.

MyBitcoins gadget has been working fine with the settings you posted for GDAX, but it's changing to CoinbasePro the end of the month. I'm using the new page now and it's pretty stable. Would you be so kind as to post the settings for the new page for MyBitcoins? TIA.

From what I see, CoinbasePro "Developer Platform" links to old GDAX documentation which doesn't mention that domain will change, so I assume that API will continue to work as usual. If at any point they decide to change the API, please let me know and I'll post updated settings - I'm not using them myself.

Of course it's good to use Windows if the operating system is on a mobile device too. But how do users who use Android for their work act? Are there any apps for gadgets on Android?

I have no plans to make this gadget mobile. But there are a bunch of alternatives for Android: https://thedroidguy.com/2018/05/5-best-bitcoin-ticker-widget-app-2018-1079691

Domchi (OP)

View Profile
September 01, 2018, 05:30:05 PM

Looks like Coinbase Pro has changed the API from the old GDAX settings. Would you please post the updated settings? TIA.

Sure.

Coinbase Pro
exchange URL: https://api.pro.coinbase.com/products/BTC-USD/ticker
exhange rate JSON key: price
ticker currency: USD
field 1 JSON key: ask
field 2 JSON key: price
field 3 JSON key: bid
bittab

Activity: 206
Merit: 11

View Profile WWW
October 22, 2018, 03:33:36 PM

Now, there is an advanced widget for Windows, called BitTab.

See the screenshot below:

4000+ coins and 40+ exchanges

go to http://bittab.io/

also there is a main thread https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4679957
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: