Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 12:09:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is bitcoin a "private" currency?  (Read 2436 times)
nvt2511

Activity: 106
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 05, 2018, 02:41:57 AM

It's a yes and no answer for that. It is private because you don't need  KYC type ID to set up a wallet. However, with the right tools and knowledge it is traceable. You'd need something like monero or privcy if you want a private coin
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
tungaqhd

Activity: 1540
Merit: 508

View Profile
July 05, 2018, 02:56:10 AM

I do not think that it is a private currency because everybody can buy, sell, hold and use it. It can be a private currency because of its anonymous transaction.
Juggy777

Activity: 2646
Merit: 686

View Profile
July 05, 2018, 02:59:29 AM

It depends on who you're and what's your perspective when you say public it could be inferred as a government coin, when you say private it could mean you're the government who thinks it's a coin for a select bunch of people. So this definition of bitcoins will change person to person and organisation some may even generally consider it either so choose to accept what you want.
shashkova

Activity: 41

View Profile
July 05, 2018, 05:42:58 AM

i dont think we can say if it is public or private, in some ways it itprivate specially when it just stays in your wallet ofcourse that is your property making it private, and in some other ways you can say it is public
Tylev

Activity: 854
Merit: 104

View Profile
July 05, 2018, 03:41:30 PM

Bitcoin has never been and will not be a private currency in the sense that it can not belong to an individual. We only have the pseudonym of the developer - Satoshi Nakamoto, but he did not claim his right to bitcoin as private property. Therefore, bitcoin should be considered public domain.
Now bitcoin is used by society, everyone can use its open source code to create a new currency.
nanaoriginal

Activity: 5

View Profile WWW
July 05, 2018, 03:47:54 PM

I think it is wrong to call bitcoin a "private" currency.

On the contrary, imo bitcoin is much more of a public currency that any national currency is.

Although the usage of Bitcoin is still low, it is used by people all around the world. Moreover it has received global recognition and attention.
Crypto holders are beginning to use Bitcoin in real life.
Shirley Menezess

Activity: 49

View Profile
July 05, 2018, 04:08:54 PM

It's hard to tell exactly. On one hand, Bitcoin isn't controlled by any private organizations or individuals. So it can't be called private. On the other hand, Bitcoin isn't government-backed and issued by government, meaning that it isn't public. However I think it's not that important to determine it's public or private.
CoinXP

Activity: 5

View Profile WWW
July 05, 2018, 04:20:19 PM

Don't think so,not private at all...
Anamika143

Activity: 322

View Profile
July 05, 2018, 04:55:55 PM

On the contrary, imo bitcoin is much more of a public currency that any national currency is.

Bitcoin has never been considered as a private currency and in the future Bitcoin does not seem to be used in private. Since Bitcoin discovery, it has been used publicly since then. No person used to bitcoin work alone. Bitcoin can be used by everyone so it is a public currency. Bitcoin is not a national currency, but it can be called international online currency.
Herbys

Activity: 238
Merit: 6

View Profile
July 05, 2018, 05:10:50 PM

I consider Bitcoin a private currency, but it does not solve anything.

The dollar is not issued by a state-owned company, but it still remains a global currency.
indrakusumaindra

Activity: 728
Merit: 101

The Standard Protocol - Solving Inflation

View Profile
July 05, 2018, 05:13:54 PM

Yes its can be use as currency and anyone would accept it but i dont think i could make fair transaction using bitcoin, the votalilty makes it hard to do fair transaction and i dont think it could be use for daily transaction. Bitcoin is too complicated and i do think its good for an asset than currency ( atleast for now)

kingkonjac

Activity: 308
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 05, 2018, 05:18:42 PM

a private means that the transaction of the coins and transfer are not traceable and are very suitable to be used in illegal activities. Those coins are getting bad reputation from countries but btc is not like that it is different and every wallet is traceable on the smart contracts.

Rodeo02

Activity: 1302
Merit: 577

avatar and signature space for rent !!!

View Profile
July 05, 2018, 05:22:26 PM

Your understanding about private and public is wrong word public in a country are the things that manage by the government and the word private in government is the thing that they not own it is usaully own by individuals so the bitcoin system is a private property.
true this is such a private property , well there is a lot of phase or an idea how they may look for whether this is a public or private you should learn the difference on it specially here in crypto currency define for it analyzed it , then this is a private property right.
Thefrolly

Activity: 672
Merit: 250

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
July 05, 2018, 05:34:50 PM

You wont find a more public currency than Bitcoin in this world. Also what do you mean by private? Bitcoin is publicly available for anyone to purchase and is completely decentralized with no single organization or company controlling it. I guess it makes Bitcoin public enough.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
CryptoTalk.org| 
MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!
🏆
Idowuogbo

Activity: 69

View Profile
July 05, 2018, 05:50:39 PM

For any body to conclude either bitcoin is public or private need to understand d meaning of private and public. Private is something Belonging to, concerning, or accessible only to an individual person or a specific group,
Not in governmental office or employment. Not publicly known; not open; secret.
While public is Able to be seen or known by everyone; open to general view, happening without concealment.
Pertaining to all the people as a whole (as opposed a private group); concerning the whole country, community. From the meaning of public and private, I think one should be able to deduce if bitcoin should be categorize as private or public
Haryourmi

Activity: 73

View Profile
July 05, 2018, 06:56:01 PM

Have you ever seen things being use by many a private thing. Bitcoin is neither a private nor a public currency,  bitcoin is neutral.
Marlo Stanfield

Activity: 490
Merit: 280

View Profile
July 05, 2018, 07:08:52 PM

Some people mean public to be government. In that sense it is obviously not.

Yes, it's obvious that it's a private currency when using the common public vs private distinction relating to government and non-government agents. So it seems OP is mostly getting hung up on a different definition of 'private' in this case.
freaker

Activity: 144
Merit: 12

BookiePro.Fun - The World's Betting Exchange

View Profile
July 05, 2018, 07:48:31 PM

I consider Bitcoin a private currency, but it does not solve anything.

The dollar is not issued by a state-owned company, but it still remains a global currency.

How Bitcoin can be a private currency ? Bitcoin can be used by anyone who knows the knowledge how to access this currency, it is not owned by any private firm and is based on a open source program and also can be used by anyone over the world irrespective of their origin. Bitcoin is a decentralized crypto currency which states that it cannot be controlled by a single company or become a private currency.

DunnDy

Activity: 132
Merit: 12

View Profile
July 05, 2018, 09:32:43 PM

Bitcoin is not a fully public currency because it offers amenities that ensure its privacy. Bitcoin is partly anonymous and decentralized so its structure is more private and one can say that we make ourselves a bank using Bitcoin. Bitcoin simply allows transactions where personal data is not needed, instead we use the code to send our funds and receive them.

TRADE, EARN & OWN THE EXCHANGE           M o o n X           [    ●    JOIN ICO   -   S O O N    ●    ]
──────────     WHITEPAPER     FACEBOOK     TWITTER     LINKEDIN     TELEGRAM     CRUNCHBASE     ──────────
►   No Trading or ICO Listing Fees      ►   Superior to Nasdaq & LSE       ►   US$ 29M Raised in 2 Weeks!
cizatext

Activity: 952
Merit: 41

View Profile
July 05, 2018, 09:46:56 PM

Bitcoin is not a private currency and bitcoin is not only limited to one country or being use by one country, bitcoin is a universal currency which is use all over the world so at that no single country own bitcoin and bitcoin is not own by an individual but bitcoin is a store of value which is use for online transactions and a great assets.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: