Bitcoin Forum
June 28, 2024, 03:18:47 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Trading profit  (Read 1669 times)
crypto25 (OP)

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 08:39:31 AM

From time to time I see large pumps that lead to a sudden 300% value increase. How are people initiating such a pump able to profit from it since many times the prices plumits right after.
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
December 27, 2013, 08:49:08 AM
Last edit: December 27, 2013, 10:26:21 AM by markm

From time to time I see large pumps that lead to a sudden 300% value increase. How are people initiating such a pump able to profit from it since many times the prices plumits right after.

300% of what? How many bitcoins did it cost them to eat that far into the sell side of the order-book?

Might it merely be people who decided what to buy and simply bought it?

For example right now you can buy DeVCoin for less than 100 satoshis a coin. If someone decided they wanted to buy a few hundred million to put away for a few years or for their expected child's college fund or whatever, they would drive the price up almost a satoshi per half-million coins.

They might figure so what, the average price they'd get them for would still be less than 350 satoshis per coin even if they bought pretty much the entire sell-side of the order-book, and be happy with that figuring by the time their descendants dig out the pieces of the cold-wallet and put them together to get at the coins they will be worth thousands of satoshis per coin or more...

Or look at I0Coin or IXCoin, many times all you can see on the sell-side is my offers to sell 10 of them, and not even ten at each satoshi of price, heck sometimes many of the offers are 25 satoshis apart as I first put offers at each thousand then at each 500 then at each 250 and so on, when you see an offer every five it means I have that part of the price range getting close to being fully populated - but only with initial sketch offers of 10 coins. Someone who decides they want a few thousand clears a huge swathe of such offers. Same applies on the buy side, I can try to pile up little offers all the way up to try to get the buy side up close to the sell side after someone did a buy that cleared a huge swathe of the sell side, but someone dumping a few thousand blows them all away in one buy too.

It is going to take time to build up large enough offers, densely enough packed, on both sides of all the order-books even on an exchange like Vircurex that doesn't spam the user with billions of worthless coins making the job of filling the order-books ever harder.

Hopefully VIrcurex will add an option soon to let you tell it to fill all prices between a start price and an end price with offers using X number of whatevers, then people will be able to re-fill such gaps in the order-books a lot easier. But as far as I know Vircurex is the only exchange that is even considering making such an option available so expect massive gaps on other exchanges even after Vircurex has that tool in place.

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
crypto25 (OP)

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 10:09:16 AM

Cool. So this explains why you sometimes see this complete straight lines in the graphs going up or down. Because  all these linear spaced buy or sell offers get fulfilled.
kenobius
Legendary

Activity: 1650
Merit: 1033

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 06:26:39 AM

Do you know if there is some program or automated trading that warns you when lines cross? Is it worth it to do short term trading since the trading fees for bitcoin are quite high.
On btc-e you can download MT4 and use it interface, signals, rules and other trading instruments.
btcrich

Activity: 302
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 12:04:21 AM

For me, I'm perfectly content with turning 2.0 BTC into 2.5-3.0 BTC over a 24-hour period.  Doesn't sound like much but it compounds very quickly.  

Assuming 30% profit on every investment:
Turn 2.0 BTC into 2.6 BTC on day 2 of trading
Turn 2.6 BTC into 3.38 BTC on day 4
Turn 3.38 BTC into 4.3 BTC on day 6
Turn 4.3 BTC into 5.7 BTC on day 8
Turn 5.7 BTC into 7.4 BTC on day 10

In a week and a half, you earned 5.4 BTC (roughly $4,000)

Who wouldn't be content with turning 2 BTC into 2.5-3 BTC in 24 hours?  It's a bit silly to think that you or anyone could sustain that kind of return day after day.  Apart from the fact that you won't always enter a winning trade, the market liquidity is not there to sustain that kind of growth.  The 24 hour trade volume on many coins isn't even a few Bitcoin, so trading any significant volume will move the markets far too much.

In saying that, if I could even guarantee a 1% return per day while compounding my gains, I could turn $1,000 into $37,783.43 in one year.  I'd be extremely happy (and rich) if that was not just being delusional.

By the way, $1,000 at 30% per day compounded daily over the course of one year would net you $388,439,683,864,471,242,462,639,369,352,853,954,800,648,192.00
jballs

Activity: 182
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
December 31, 2013, 12:14:08 AM

He all,

I am quite new to the whole crypto scene and I am curious what kind of strategies you use for trading alt coins and how much profit (or loss) you had so far. I have been terrible (75% loss, bought Megacoin and Quark at their peak) and I am looking for some tips.

-which indicators do you use to decide to buy or hold?
-are you in long term or short term?
-do you go for the latest coins or the more established ones?
-any other strategies (arbitrage pump and dump)?

Reveal your trading secrets!

If you have amazon prime you can borrow this in the kindle library for free

http://amzn.com/B0091XN1KS

Not altcoin specific but what every trader must know to survive long run. (Disclaimer, I might have penned it, but it's true all the same. Good luck...)

H A R A                [  WHITEPAPER   │   LITEPAPER  ]                H A R A  
Empowering billions through data one byte at a time
TWITTER     GITHUB          REDDIT     FACEBOOK     BITCOINTALKLINKEDIN
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: