Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 10:49:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Fabricating Bitcoin Mining Case  (Read 1420 times)
Kyle Bball Boy (OP)

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 07:49:04 AM

Hello everyone. I would like to talk to you all about an idea that I plan on fabricating. I am planning on building a custom case designed for housing multiple video cards while providing enough space in between intake fans so they are not blocked. I've got access to a lot of cool and expensive equipment for constructing this case. I can design something in a CAD program and then get it cut out for me and piece it together.  I’d like to get as many suggestions and ideas from the community as possible while in the planning stages. I hope to complete a prototype of this case within four weeks or less. If everything works out, I’d like to begin selling these cases as well at reasonable prices.

Here’s a list of some of the equipment I have available:

Epilog Legend 36EXT Laser System - 36" x 24 – Used for etching or cutting certain materials like acrylic

Epilog Helix 24 Laser System – 24” x 18” – Same thing just smaller

Shopbot CNC Router – 4’ x 8’ Can be used for cutting metal (This is what I’ll mainly be using for cutting stainless steel, aluminum, etc.)

Dimension 1200es Series 3D Printer – Prints ABS plastic with dissolvable supports for parts with overhangs (Might be useful)

There is also some other equipment too such a cornstarch 3d printer and some smaller tabletop CNC mills, lathes, etc.

So, please offer any insight or ideas you might have. If you have any questions, I’ll try my best to answer them. If you guys have any other design ideas that you think would be cool for bitcoin mining feel free to tell me about them.

Oh and if a mod could move this thread into another section that would be great.

"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
indolering

Activity: 27

View Profile
July 28, 2011, 03:13:43 AM

Have you opened up a MacPro tower?  It's a thing of beauty.  It's airflow is well thought out, one of the first production machines to use liquid cooling.  But the best part is servicing the machine, everything is very minimalist and easy to pop in and out.

What about a closed version of the Antec Skeleton with something to pipe heat out of the top?

-Zach
lowlevel

Activity: 159
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 28, 2011, 03:24:17 AM

Have you opened up a MacPro tower?  It's a thing of beauty.  It's airflow is well thought out, one of the first production machines to use liquid cooling.  But the best part is servicing the machine, everything is very minimalist and easy to pop in and out.

What about a closed version of the Antec Skeleton with something to pipe heat out of the top?

-Zach

MacPro has always been air cooled as far as I know.
PowerMac G5 was watercooled... (case looks the same)

Would you rather talk Altcoins? - https://cryptocointalk.com/
unsquidly

Activity: 322
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 28, 2011, 03:45:27 AM

Just cryo-cool your CPU and GPUs......Very easy to do and it works great.....You can install a phase change cooler pretty easy in most towers....
indolering

Activity: 27

View Profile
July 28, 2011, 03:56:31 AM

Looks like a specialty thing to me.  I was trying to keep the cost down.

However, Kyle, as someone with some manufacturing experience, you don't have a chance in hell of making much money on this.  BitCoin rigs need low cost, and there is no way you alone can get the cost down enough to match.  Even with some exotic cooling or 10 card-friendly design, there just isn't enough of a premium for your product without mass-manufacturing.

-Zach
mcostanza

Activity: 17

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2011, 09:40:30 PM

I'm also unsure it would be a good business to sell custom rig cases. A skeleton frame made of aluminum is pretty damn cheap and doesn't block airflow.

Maybe you could cater the designs to fans or people who would want to pay for a premium, custom case.

I'm working on designs for a case, just for myself. You've sure got access to some sweet machinery, I'm incredibly jealous!
-Matt
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: