Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 08:58:43 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin vs Solidcoin  (Read 2762 times)
The Pet Board (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2011, 06:40:21 PM

What are the differences between bitcoin and solidcoin?  Is one better than the other?
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
joulesbeef

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

moOo

View Profile
August 22, 2011, 06:53:07 PM

ahhhh trying to get out of the newb section huh?

basically

Features include :-

Faster transaction processing
Protection against pump-n-dump by large pools
Twice daily difficulty retargets
3 minute blocks, 32 SolidCoins per block rewarded to miners
Maximum coin generation of 18.9 million (18900000) to be reached by ~2022
Fixed transactions fees instead of unknown variable fees in BTC
Interface improvements
Different address format
JSON API improvements

more basically, it doesnt have much of a chance to dethrone bitcoin but has many interesting ideas

mooo for rent
Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
August 22, 2011, 06:56:14 PM

What are the differences between bitcoin and solidcoin?  Is one better than the other?
Basically, all of the secondary blockchain defense mechanisms are removed in favor of convenience.

btcoiner

Activity: 16

View Profile
August 22, 2011, 07:02:50 PM

pretty much everything so far is an attempt by someone to be an early adopter.  Nothing will ever overtake or even make a dent in bitcoin unless it is ABSOLUTELY revolutionary
Absentis

Activity: 129
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 22, 2011, 07:57:40 PM

The main difference that I see is that SolidCoin the most "successful" bitcoin "alternative" that will no doubt fade away just like ixcoin and i0coin. I don't imagine SC replacing or having any kind of impact like BitCoin apart from being exchanged at bitparking.

My take on the whole thing? People get involved with SC to get more BitCoin which is fine by me since it shows the value that people place in BC.
silverchair

Activity: 168

View Profile WWW
August 23, 2011, 03:31:38 AM

Its the physical and the virtual.

Hey Guys! WWW.FREEBITCOINS.ORG introduces "Epic December Contest" where you can Win Sweet Casascius Coins !!!
Hydroponies

Activity: 18

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 03:17:26 PM

What are the differences between bitcoin and solidcoin?  Is one better than the other?
Basically, all of the secondary blockchain defense mechanisms are removed in favor of convenience.

Could you please elaborate that point a bit? I thought that there were no changes this dramatic made to the bitcoin protocol. or does it have to do with the shorter block generation time?

Thanks!

Alex

p.s. Also, since this is the Newbie-Forum, i'm not sure what "secondary blockchain defense mechanisms" are
joulesbeef

moOo

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 05:17:01 PM

I did not know solidcoin had a newt problem.. i'm definitely staying away

mooo for rent
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
August 24, 2011, 05:38:56 AM

What newt problem is that?

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

andrewbadr

Activity: 174

Posts made Jan-March 2017 are not by me

View Profile
August 24, 2011, 06:37:55 AM

SolidCoin an incremental improvement over Bitcoin. Replacing Bitcoin will require an order-of-magnitude improvement. Non-starter.
johnj

Activity: 154

View Profile
August 24, 2011, 03:41:56 PM

I read earlier on the forums

"Sometimes people are willing to pay gold for rocks.  So people mine rocks"

1AeW7QK59HvEJwiyMztFH1ubWPSLLKx5ym
TradeHill Referral TH-R120549
spruce

Activity: 140

View Profile
August 24, 2011, 03:50:21 PM

SolidCoin an incremental improvement over Bitcoin. Replacing Bitcoin will require an order-of-magnitude improvement. Non-starter.

It's meant to be a complementary currency and coexist with Bitcoin. Anyway, right now 1 SC is two orders of magnitude cheaper than 1 BTC. Smiley
Beta-coiner1

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 24, 2011, 04:26:31 PM

I read earlier on the forums

"Sometimes people are willing to pay gold for rocks.  So people mine rocks"
I guess some can say that.I'd say "I already have two of those,and they are quite valuable".

On the issue of solidcoin,I have to say that regardless of its downfalls it still is currently more profitable than mining Bitcoin if you got in early enough....and still somewhat is.I'll probably do it for two more days and dump it all.

Mousepotato

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

Seal Cub Clubbing Club

View Profile
August 24, 2011, 04:36:15 PM

It's meant to be a complementary currency and coexist with Bitcoin. Anyway, right now 1 SC is two orders of magnitude cheaper than 1 BTC. Smiley

For a currency, there's been a shameful lack of effort to get vendors to adopt it and there's no apparent infrastructure behind it at all.  100% of the effort has been dedicated toward development of the block chain and client.  Unfortunately that's only one small piece of the puzzle in getting it accepted as actual currency.

Mousepotato
joulesbeef

moOo

View Profile
August 24, 2011, 05:37:53 PM

What newt problem is that?
shows what happens when i dont quote.

mooo for rent
Anonymous

August 24, 2011, 05:53:50 PM

Simple. Bitcoin is valuable solidcoin is not. Google "network effect" if in doubts.

"At this inchoate phase for #bitcoin, the network effect can be overcome with an aggressive branding campaign."

I just read that now  Cheesy
Anonymous

August 24, 2011, 05:56:40 PM

For a currency, there's been a shameful lack of effort to get vendors to adopt it and there's no apparent infrastructure behind it at all.  100% of the effort has been dedicated toward development of the block chain and client.  Unfortunately that's only one small piece of the puzzle in getting it accepted as actual currency.

The bitcoin client and blockchain could do with some 100% time.
jgarzik
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
August 24, 2011, 07:53:28 PM

The 2011 Bitcoin Conference demonstrated plenty of people and businesses working towards this.

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
August 25, 2011, 12:50:02 AM

What are the differences between bitcoin and solidcoin?  Is one better than the other?

Could you please elaborate that point a bit? I thought that there were no changes this dramatic made to the bitcoin protocol. or does it have to do with the shorter block generation time?

Thanks!

Alex

p.s. Also, since this is the Newbie-Forum, i'm not sure what "secondary blockchain defense mechanisms" are
The twice-daily difficulty retargets, along with the shorter block generation speed, means that should it be necessary to fork the blockchain because a security issue was discovered and exploited, a patch has to be made and distributed to over half of the miners (in terms of hash speed) AND the fork needs to be grow longer than the bad chain in less than 12 hours (possibly even no more than 6 hours) before mined blocks after the exploit happened start maturing. Even worse, this needs to happen just as soon even if a strong majority of the miners stop mining as soon as they learn of the attack. Once the blocks mature, any site that didn't hear of the issue could be sent coins that would soon be voided and accept them as valid. At that point, even more people will have an incentive to allow the bad chain to remain.

The same applies to if there is a temporary (at least one day) split of the internet somewhere. Users would only have 6-12 hours to notice and stop accepting coins.

Bitcoin was designed with these "limitations" for VERY good reason.

lupuyu

Activity: 7

View Profile
August 25, 2011, 01:23:51 AM

fast and safe!
Darknesss

Activity: 6

View Profile
August 25, 2011, 04:06:29 AM

It is
offshoregenius77

Activity: 23

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 07:45:42 PM

Simple. Bitcoin is valuable solidcoin is not. Google "network effect" if in doubts.

That seems like an absolute statement, and in a fast moving niche like virtual currency, I would caution you to look at the graveyard of former currencies. NO ONE knows the actual future regarding solidcoin vs bitcoin.... Its like saying you know where the price of gold is going!

OG
ThomasV
Legendary

Activity: 1896
Merit: 1353

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2011, 07:57:24 PM

What are the differences between bitcoin and solidcoin? 

Bitcoin will still be there in 1 year

Electrum: the convenience of a web wallet, without the risks
Kinmasa Hota Soto

Activity: 29

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 08:03:13 PM

Solidcoin will for sure be forgotten in the next month but another crypto currency can be better than bitcoin and destroy it
It can happen soon
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: