Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 12:02:41 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Seriously guys, why?  (Read 4889 times)
the joint (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
August 22, 2011, 06:53:00 PM

In my opinion, aside from it being incredibly obvious that all these alternative cryptocurrencies are made with the sole intention of making their creators rich (jealous of Satoshi much?), I think you guys should stick with one digital cryptocurrency, max.  Given its relatively short life-span and the number of unresolved problems associated with it, we can't even call Bitcoin a success yet, although I'm sure those who have profited significantly would be quick to call Bitcoin a success.  At least, it's not a success when compared to fiat currency which has its security and economy in tact.

Sometimes I wonder how often the members of this community realize how much they marginalize their selves.  Everyone's clients/miners/exchanges are ridiculously difficult to use for the average person, and if these issues still exist with the Google of digital cryptocurrencies (i.e. Bitcoin), how do you expect these other silly currencies with dumb names to work (town coin?  GTFO)?

I think all these cryptocurrencies give the Bitcoin community a bad name.  I think it perpetuates the 'geekiness' of Bitcoin -- imagine the average joe coming on here and then reading about namecoin, solid coin, IOcoin, selfish coin, nerd coin, haven't-gotten-laid-since-2009-coin...all these currencies give the impression we're all just a bunch of greedy fucks with no long-term vision of communal success.  If people put half as much time into stimulating the Bitcoin economy as they did devilishly programming their own cryptocurrency code, maybe at least one of these currencies would have a shot (again, i.e. Bitcoin).

Quit marginalizing the community.  Bitcoin is the only one that has a shot at mainstream popularity, so quit marginalizing the community with all this nerd crap like alternative cryptocurrencies, the word "troll" (Jesus Christ I hate when people say troll, and grandma does too), ridiculous clients and miners, etc.  People like simplicity. This complexity isn't cool.  It's chilly.  And chilly ain't never been cool.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 22, 2011, 07:05:57 PM

Also, if you really think any of these currencies would work better in theory AND could be accepted by the mainstream population, I would love to know why.  But then, of course, if it's solely about theory, I would simply try to one-up you by suggesting that in theory, the lack of any currency is the best option.  In theory, bartering is the best option. 
Raize
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1419
Merit: 1015

View Profile
August 22, 2011, 07:09:47 PM

This like complaining that because people have free speech they shouldn't curse all the time. Let them do whatever they want, whatever currencies offer real alternatives will naturally be used, and the ones that don't will get oversold. Not sure what the big deal is or why anyone would care.

Crypto-currency speculation is beautiful. It makes Bitcoin and Namecoin more legitimate.

Also, do you ever wonder if some random miner from 2009 with 400k Bitcoin is ever going to suddenly start selling it? I do. In fact, I wonder if it is happening now, for example. I say let these currencies do their thing, if any one of them survives, then the early adopters will be more widespread than the early days of Bitcoin itself at the very least.
JohnDoe

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 22, 2011, 07:13:12 PM

In theory, bartering is the best option. 

lolwut
the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 22, 2011, 07:17:14 PM

This like complaining that because people have free speech they shouldn't curse all the time. Let them do whatever they want, whatever currencies offer real alternatives will naturally be used, and the ones that don't will get oversold. Not sure what the big deal is or why anyone would care.

Crypto-currency speculation is beautiful. It makes Bitcoin and Namecoin more legitimate.

Also, do you ever wonder if some random miner from 2009 with 400k Bitcoin is ever going to suddenly start selling it? I do. In fact, I wonder if it is happening now, for example. I say let these currencies do their thing, if any one of them survives, then the early adopters will be more widespread than the early days of Bitcoin itself at the very least.

Well, like I said, it was 'my opinion,' and it was opinion suggesting that, like in your example, it would be in the community's best interest not to "curse" so-to-speak.  And you're exactly right, I'm not sure why anyone would care.....at all.

I think it makes Bitcoin less legitimate.  Namecoin makes Bitcoin less legitimate, and it will always be an underground thing (if it makes you money, great, just don't think it'll catch on because there's no way in hell that it will).

Honestly, I wonder why some random miner from 2009 with 400k Bitcoin HASN'T sold everything.  I think he's a fantastically huge idiot if he hasn't done so already.  Seriously...being an early adopter is like finding a million dollars superglued to the sidewalk (gotta do a little thinking to get it off the sidewalk without destroying it, but you're a moron to let it sit there without doing anything about it).

the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 22, 2011, 07:20:01 PM

In theory, bartering is the best option.  

lolwut

Bartering is both universally and individually ethical, is universally and individually fair, and it emphasizes the value of the process of exchange over the value of the products.  Additionally, not every person understands the Bitcoin client/miner/exchange, and not every person understands the way banks, money, interest, fees, etc. work, but ANY idiot can place a subjective value on something and know whether or not they think they got a fair deal in a trade.
the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 01:51:46 AM

In my opinion, aside from it being incredibly obvious that all these alternative cryptocurrencies are made with the sole intention of making their creators rich (jealous of Satoshi much?), I think you guys should stick with one digital cryptocurrency, max.  Given its relatively short life-span and the number of unresolved problems associated with it, we can't even call Bitcoin a success yet, although I'm sure those who have profited significantly would be quick to call Bitcoin a success.  At least, it's not a success when compared to fiat currency which has its security and economy in tact.

Sometimes I wonder how often the members of this community realize how much they marginalize their selves.  Everyone's clients/miners/exchanges are ridiculously difficult to use for the average person, and if these issues still exist with the Google of digital cryptocurrencies (i.e. Bitcoin), how do you expect these other silly currencies with dumb names to work (town coin?  GTFO)?

I think all these cryptocurrencies give the Bitcoin community a bad name.  I think it perpetuates the 'geekiness' of Bitcoin -- imagine the average joe coming on here and then reading about namecoin, solid coin, IOcoin, selfish coin, nerd coin, haven't-gotten-laid-since-2009-coin...all these currencies give the impression we're all just a bunch of greedy fucks with no long-term vision of communal success.  If people put half as much time into stimulating the Bitcoin economy as they did devilishly programming their own cryptocurrency code, maybe at least one of these currencies would have a shot (again, i.e. Bitcoin).

Quit marginalizing the community.  Bitcoin is the only one that has a shot at mainstream popularity, so quit marginalizing the community with all this nerd crap like alternative cryptocurrencies, the word "troll" (Jesus Christ I hate when people say troll, and grandma does too), ridiculous clients and miners, etc.  People like simplicity. This complexity isn't cool.  It's chilly.  And chilly ain't never been cool.

You're making the very wrong assumption that people actually give a shit about Bitcoin or crypto-currency in the first place. A very large majority of the people involved in BTC, IXC, IOC, NMC and SC, like myself are here for the profit and nothing more. I will continue to hit every "Crypto- Currency of the Week" coin full force at low difficulty and then sell it like crack to idiots that buy it at Double C's ever adapting exchange!!!!

Looking forward to the next one!

BTC was doomed before it launched, just like any of the crypto-currencies it suffers from NEVER being able to have instant transactions.

Without instant transactions BTC will never become mainstream. It may very well exist as it does now to be a favorite amongst the Drug Dealers, Con Artist and "Geeks". But it a'int ever going to see use by Johnny Q. Public.

Peace,

Well, to be honest, what you said isn't at all far from what I said.  But, I have more hope for mainstream adoption of Bitcoin.  Besides, the instant transaction issue is really only a concern if people are interested in keeping the highest level of anonymity.  I actually don't really get why people think it's necessary  (or even that much better) to have anonymous transactions in all cases.  

All a merchant needs is to link a Bitcoin address to a real life address or a name.  For example, if you order something online, you must put in a shipping address, and this address is linked to a name.  If people keep generating new addresses, then a high level of anonymity can still be retained in general (i.e. it would be hard to link their name to all of their transactions, but specific transactions could be traced back to the person).  Then, a merchant won't have to worry about waiting for 6 confirmations.  They can just go after the guy if the transaction doesn't go through.  The confirmations will only be necessary in larger transactions where waiting an hour simply isn't a big issue (e.g. buying a car, a house, paying rent, depositing or withdrawing from exchanges, etc.).  

Actually, I think we both agree in our belief that the majority of Bitcoin users hope to get rich quick.  But, I simply wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt.  Besides, I bet that for most of them, they spend hours and hours watching the charts or looking at Mt. Gox live only to make $10-$15 a day in trades when they could be out doing real work making a whole lot more money.  Hell, most of them would make far more money working at McDonald's part time.  So, in a way, I'm also trying to point out that they could probably earn a LOT more proportionally long-term if they weren't so focused on the short term.  The real winners in Bitcoin are those who actually make a large business out of it (e.g. Mt. Gox, TradeHill, etc.).  There are solutions to Bitcoin's problems and they aren't that complicated.
JohnDoe

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 01:57:44 AM

Bitcoin is the only one that has a shot at mainstream popularity

Some of us no longer believe that's true as investment and lending will be impossible with Bitcoin, so we are looking into alternatives (a currency with demurrage being the most promising, like Freicoin).
the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 01:59:40 AM

Bitcoin is the only one that has a shot at mainstream popularity

Some of us no longer believe that's true as investment and lending will be impossible with Bitcoin, so we are looking into alternatives (a currency with demurrage being the most promising, like Freicoin).

Nobody even knows how to pronounce Freicoin and you expect people to use it?
JohnDoe

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 02:01:34 AM

Nobody even knows how to pronounce Freicoin and you expect people to use it?

I don't like that name either, I said a currency like Freicoin.
fm1234

Activity: 68
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 02:47:29 AM

posted by the joint:
haven't-gotten-laid-since-2009-coin

Dude, don't out my shit.
the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 03:00:53 AM

Rolls off the tongue though, doesn't it?
caston

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
August 23, 2011, 03:21:21 AM

hahahaha so if I mine for haven't gotten laid since 2009 coin what happens if I break the drought do my coins become worthless?

other than that "Seriously guys, why all the forks?" "why?, please stop guys, this is just not cool now, i'm not playing anymore, mum please tell them not to make any more forks waahhh"

bitcoin BTC: 1MikVUu1DauWB33T5diyforbQjTWJ9D4RF
bitcoin cash: 1JdkCGuW4LSgqYiM6QS7zTzAttD9MNAsiK

-updated 3rd December 2017
the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 03:25:11 AM

hahahaha so if I mine for haven't gotten laid since 2009 coin what happens if I break the drought do my coins become worthless?

other than that "Seriously guys, why all the forks?" "why?, please stop guys, this is just not cool now, i'm not playing anymore, mum please tell them not to make any more forks waahhh"

If you break the drought you can exchange them for noodle coin.  But keep in mind the transaction fees are outrageous.
bansal

Activity: 61

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 03:28:50 AM

In my opinion, aside from it being incredibly obvious that all these alternative cryptocurrencies are made with the sole intention of making their creators rich (jealous of Satoshi much?), I think you guys should stick with one digital cryptocurrency, max.  Given its relatively short life-span and the number of unresolved problems associated with it, we can't even call Bitcoin a success yet, although I'm sure those who have profited significantly would be quick to call Bitcoin a success.  At least, it's not a success when compared to fiat currency which has its security and economy in tact.

Sometimes I wonder how often the members of this community realize how much they marginalize their selves.  Everyone's clients/miners/exchanges are ridiculously difficult to use for the average person, and if these issues still exist with the Google of digital cryptocurrencies (i.e. Bitcoin), how do you expect these other silly currencies with dumb names to work (town coin?  GTFO)?

I think all these cryptocurrencies give the Bitcoin community a bad name.  I think it perpetuates the 'geekiness' of Bitcoin -- imagine the average joe coming on here and then reading about namecoin, solid coin, IOcoin, selfish coin, nerd coin, haven't-gotten-laid-since-2009-coin...all these currencies give the impression we're all just a bunch of greedy fucks with no long-term vision of communal success.  If people put half as much time into stimulating the Bitcoin economy as they did devilishly programming their own cryptocurrency code, maybe at least one of these currencies would have a shot (again, i.e. Bitcoin).

Quit marginalizing the community.  Bitcoin is the only one that has a shot at mainstream popularity, so quit marginalizing the community with all this nerd crap like alternative cryptocurrencies, the word "troll" (Jesus Christ I hate when people say troll, and grandma does too), ridiculous clients and miners, etc.  People like simplicity. This complexity isn't cool.  It's chilly.  And chilly ain't never been cool.

You're making the very wrong assumption that people actually give a shit about Bitcoin or crypto-currency in the first place. A very large majority of the people involved in BTC, IXC, IOC, NMC and SC, like myself are here for the profit and nothing more. I will continue to hit every "Crypto- Currency of the Week" coin full force at low difficulty and then sell it like crack to idiots that buy it at Double C's ever adapting exchange!!!!

BTC was doomed before it launched, just like any of the crypto-currencies it suffers from NEVER being able to have instant transactions.

Without instant transactions BTC will never become mainstream. It may very well exist as it does now to be a favorite amongst the Drug Dealers, Con Artist and "Geeks". But it a'int ever going to see use by Johnny Q. Public.

Peace,

LOL harsh, but mostly true.  I agree the transaction confirmation time is one of the biggest problems with bitcoin, but if you're a merchant it's great for internet transactions.  I can easily wait an hour or more before shipping something out, and I don't have to worry about fraud or other types of chargebacks, so it can have its place.  It is also much easier for international transactions, as outside the US a lot of people don't use credit cards, and other forms of payments (wires, Western Union, etc) are a big hassle.  I don't see walking into a store and using it though for sure, unless the merchant is selling a sandwich or something that he isn't going to lose much sleep over having stolen.
the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 03:36:54 AM

Peace,

LOL harsh, but mostly true.  I agree the transaction confirmation time is one of the biggest problems with bitcoin, but if you're a merchant it's great for internet transactions.  I can easily wait an hour or more before shipping something out, and I don't have to worry about fraud or other types of chargebacks, so it can have its place.  It is also much easier for international transactions, as outside the US a lot of people don't use credit cards, and other forms of payments (wires, Western Union, etc) are a big hassle.  I don't see walking into a store and using it though for sure, unless the merchant is selling a sandwich or something that he isn't going to lose much sleep over having stolen.

Like I said.  For every day transactions where you walk into a store and buy something, just give a name too so there's accountability.  Seriously, it's not a big deal if you hand a guy cash/Bitcoins and they know your name.  Everyone gonna be wearing masks too?  It's almost like people want to be anonymous so they can get away with fraud.  If people are honest and fair, lack of anonymity doesn't mean a thing.  You just make more friends.
caston

View Profile WWW
August 23, 2011, 03:37:43 AM

The other thing is I want to see into the idea of mining cryptocurrencies in space with the mining done on satellites that use space based solar power SBSP for an energy source or using a throium reactor on the moon or mars. They might get a lot of stales if they are trying to mine bitcoins on earth so they could start a new block chain and then trade those coins with us for bitcoins. They could even be used to back a fiat currency which we then float on forex markets and kind of start a space based monetary fund using sol as our central bank.

the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 03:39:26 AM

The other thing is I want to see into the idea of mining cryptocurrencies in space with the mining done on satellites that use space based solar power SBSP for an energy source or using a throium reactor on the moon or mars. They might get a lot of stales if they are trying to mine bitcoins on earth so they could start a new block chain and then trade those coins with us for bitcoins. They could even be used to back a fiat currency which we then float on forex markets and kind of start a space based monetary fund using sol as our central bank.

I think I'm just going to open a bottled air business.  Want to buy Hawaii air?  New Zealand air?  Stinky Guam air?  I'm your guy. 
bansal

Activity: 61

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 03:41:47 AM

Peace,

Like I said.  For every day transactions where you walk into a store and buy something, just give a name too so there's accountability.  Seriously, it's not a big deal if you hand a guy cash/Bitcoins and they know your name.  Everyone gonna be wearing masks too?  It's almost like people want to be anonymous so they can get away with fraud.  If people are honest and fair, lack of anonymity doesn't mean a thing.  You just make more friends.

Why don't you actually try running a real business and then say that LOL
caston

View Profile WWW
August 23, 2011, 03:48:18 AM

I think I'm just going to open a bottled air business.  Want to buy Hawaii air?  New Zealand air?  Stinky Guam air?  I'm your guy.  

get me an honest bottle of Martian air and we'll talk

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: