Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 02:28:19 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I finally figured out how the government can destroy Bitcoin  (Read 4213 times)
RGBKey

Activity: 854
Merit: 658

rgbkey.github.io/pgp.txt

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2014, 01:17:10 PM

Step one: Procure whatever hardware necessary to force difficulty to continue increasing.
Step two: Wait until the power requirements for running a mining setup from a single family dwelling becomes next to impossible.
Step three: Mop up any remaining centralized mining facilities through either taking them over in the name of national security or bombing it into the stone age.
Step four: Profit.

I wouldn't doubt that the NSA already has this kind of scheme cooked up and ready to deploy.

Psht. Gobbledigook. Here's how you kill Bitcoin:

Step 1: Shut down the exchanges.

Step 2: There is no step 2

I seldom use the term but...  Lol.

You are going to shut down every exchange in every jurisdiction in the world, including localbit, craigslist, irc?

Outlawing bitcoin trading would send the price to the moon. No sense arguing that point, name a thing that costs less on the black market than it costs in a free market. One thing...

As for OP I came to the same conclusion, about the major pools anyway. That is why i put money in VTC. I dont know if they will fly, but they are moving the ball towards decentralizing again, surely a moving target but altcoin will survive even if bitcoin dies. But i do not really expect the gov to kill it, just regulate it eventually.
Marijuana.
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
roslinpl
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1199

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2014, 02:35:10 PM

it is realy easy for goverment to ruin bitcoin world.

it is just not good enought reason to do it.

goverments must find a good side of bitcoin for their own.

anyway I guess many from politicians has got hundreds of bitcoins Smiley

so why would they stop it? Smiley
pjviitas (OP)

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 03:37:06 PM

it is realy easy for goverment to ruin bitcoin world.

it is just not good enought reason to do it.

goverments must find a good side of bitcoin for their own.

anyway I guess many from politicians has got hundreds of bitcoins Smiley

so why would they stop it? Smiley

I have always thought the same thing.

The biggest criminals on the planet go to work in financial districts and government buildings every day.  Why would they want to destroy something which helps them launder their money.

In my opinion, bitcoin is the best thing that's happened to the banks and governments in a long time.
Rampion
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 07:42:07 PM

name a thing that costs less on the black market than it costs in a free market. One thing...
Marijuana.

You do realize that Cali or Amsterdam are NOT free markets - right?

hashman
Legendary

Activity: 1264
Merit: 1008

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 09:49:15 PM

Step one: Procure whatever hardware necessary to force difficulty to continue increasing.
Step two: Wait until the power requirements for running a mining setup from a single family dwelling becomes next to impossible.
Step three: Mop up any remaining centralized mining facilities through either taking them over in the name of national security or bombing it into the stone age.

I wouldn't doubt that the NSA already has this kind of scheme cooked up and ready to deploy.

Am I the only one that was thinking you would have a step involving destroying Bitcoin? 
jballs

Activity: 182
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2014, 10:00:14 PM

name a thing that costs less on the black market than it costs in a free market. One thing...
Marijuana.

You do realize that Cali or Amsterdam are NOT free markets - right?

Remove prison time and all I need is seeds, water and a couple lights. Or sunshine I suppoes would suffice.

Also true of poppies/

Plants are pretty much free, though I have utmost respect for the art of hybrid cultivation and such, which certainly commands a premium.

But no dice on the question at hand. Legal weed is cheaper.  B.C. bud $700 a pound in BC, 3-4k a pound right over the border (although that may have changed drastically since Washington went legal, and also I have not shopped that market for awhile).

H A R A                [  WHITEPAPER   │   LITEPAPER  ]                H A R A  
Empowering billions through data one byte at a time
TWITTER     GITHUB          REDDIT     FACEBOOK     BITCOINTALKLINKEDIN
hjbuell

Activity: 70

Writer $0.10/word +

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2014, 10:41:56 PM

And the lobbyists work for the fabric industry, the paper industry, the pharmaceutical industry and law enforcement, all of which would suffer it pot were legal.

One of the most knowledgeable comments I've seen on the topic in ages. Well put. DuPont certainly won't be signing off on any sort of long lasting and cheap fabric that can compete with Nylon. Nor will the cotton industry support switching back to hemp fiber clothes - which is the whole reason Levis' 'Jew Pants' were popular with miners back in the day - because they lasted 10x longer than the cotton alternatives.

Being different is all it takes to make a difference. H. J. Buell
Writer from $0.10 per word. https://hjbuell.com
glendall
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1018

Sugars.zone | DatingFi - Earn for Posting

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 11:02:56 PM

You could destroy bitcoin but you can't destroy the idea of bitcoin.  Cat is out of the bag. It it has been invented. 

.SUGAR.
██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
▄████████████████████████▄
███████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀███████
█████▀██████▀▀██████▀█████
██████████████████████████
█████████████████████▄████
████████▄████████▄████████
▀████████████████████████▀
▀▀████████████████████▀▀

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
███████████████████████████
██████               ██████
██████   ▄████▀      ██████
██████▄▄▄███▀   ▄█   ██████
██████████▀   ▄███   ██████
████████▀   ▄█████▄▄▄██████
██████▀   ▄███████▀▀▀██████
██████   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀   ██████
██████               ██████
Backed By
ZetaChain

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
████████████████████████████
█████████████████▀▀  ███████
█████████████▀▀      ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄▄     ███████
█████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ████████
█████████ █▀        ████████
█████████ █ ▄███▄   ████████
██████████████████▄▄████████
▀▀████████████████████▀▀
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
██████ ▄▀██████████  ███████
███████▄▀▄▀██████  █████████
█████████▄▀▄▀██  ███████████
███████████▄▀▄ █████████████
███████████  ▄▀▄▀███████████
█████████  ████▄▀▄▀█████████
███████  ████████▄▀ ████████
████████████████████████████
▀▀████████████████████▀▀
jballs

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2014, 11:18:48 PM

And the lobbyists work for the fabric industry, the paper industry, the pharmaceutical industry and law enforcement, all of which would suffer it pot were legal.

One of the most knowledgeable comments I've seen on the topic in ages. Well put. DuPont certainly won't be signing off on any sort of long lasting and cheap fabric that can compete with Nylon. Nor will the cotton industry support switching back to hemp fiber clothes - which is the whole reason Levis' 'Jew Pants' were popular with miners back in the day - because they lasted 10x longer than the cotton alternatives.

Well call me an optimist but I believe this will end, and is ending. My own theory but I think it is the upside of social media. Ten years ago referendums would die at the polls, after the media blitzes would paint the picture of doom if ever it were legalized. So even with half the population smoking it would not get through. Now you have everybody on facebook seeing how many of their friend and friends of friends are pro hemp and can actually put names and faces to the enemy, and realize they aren't. I think this is what happened with gay marriage also. People just got over their unwarranted prejudices, or getting over them. Not everyone but enough to turn the tide towards some common sense.

But yes it will be an uphill battle, it has been, and all I can say to that is

Super.Bowl... Seattle vs. Denver.

Sign from God.

Tongue

texaschainsaw54

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 11:35:59 PM

I like this idea
zolace

Activity: 364

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 12:01:39 AM

Let them try to do anything, if they regulate bitcoin, then im moving to the next coin till they get tired.

⚂⚄ Pocket Dice — Real dice experienceProvably Fair
Free BTC Faucet
⚅⚁
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
2bfree

Activity: 686
Merit: 251

I'm investigating Crypto Projects

View Profile WWW
February 01, 2014, 02:33:06 PM

That wont work

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
>>FREE SEO AUDIT/WHITE LABEL MAKE MONEY!<<
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
pjviitas (OP)

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 05:14:16 PM

Let them try to do anything, if they regulate bitcoin, then im moving to the next coin till they get tired.

+1
Proteus123

Activity: 53
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 05:31:09 PM

Nah. Then all you would have to do is produce a new coin that those ASIC miners no longer work on. Attack subverted, could never kill the concept.
jballs

View Profile WWW
February 01, 2014, 07:18:08 PM

Nah. Then all you would have to do is produce a new coin that those ASIC miners no longer work on. Attack subverted, could never kill the concept.

Vertcoin, three steps ahead already.

pjviitas (OP)

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 07:22:49 PM

+1

The more I think about it the more its seems like crypto-currencies present too much of a moving target for governments or banks for that matter to get a bead on.

I am starting to think that crypto-currencies present a much bigger threat to the sovereignty of nations than I thought.

Is it possible that crypto-currencies may culminate in the grand daddy of all currency wars...or how about world war?

I mean if crypto-currencies are as revolutionary as they seem the establishments around the world won't go down easy.  And, when they realize they can't stop crypto-currencies they will probably start fighting amongst themselves which may ultimately lead to world wide destruction.

It's kind of like a zombie movie...once the establishment gets bit they start turning on each other.
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: